HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

The color just pops, it looks great. Lovely and neat work as always Rusty. Very nice!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Don, Bob, Glenn and Joe and all the likes too. Much appreciated. 

I'm working on the eye bolts, spanshackles and cover boards for the stove stack and chapter 9 will be complete!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Vlad!

This will be the last post for about two weeks. We leave tomorrow for a vacation in the San Diego area. 

I've added the eye bolts, spanshackles and chimney cover boards.

IMG_1638.thumb.JPG.97aa3baff47339b5794df380a2179d30.JPGIMG_1639.thumb.JPG.959973f17e4068ba1bb93bfb17b2f7e3.JPG

With chapter 9 completed now I've started chapter 10. As I'm leaving very soon I figured I do the hatches instead of starting on the planking. 

IMG_1636.thumb.JPG.ca59fc4bfd12351b16290884f989b68a.JPG

I'll see you all in a couple of weeks. Behave while I'm away! 😂:D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Matt and Glenn!

Thanks bdgiantman2 we are on our way there today! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well the trip was wonderful, it's over and back to work. Progress has continued on chapter 10 with the quarter deck

hatches placed and the deck planked. Pretty much a repeat of the fcastle. A lot of dust to clean up and paint 

to touch up though.

IMG_1640.thumb.JPG.6cf5724a93da7058ada5df830871fdd5.JPG

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.804709149e81ca2dc6856746ef3b78a4.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Pristine work as is your standard. The tone of the wood is just remarkable!  

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you Glenn. I chose each plank carefully trying to get ones close to the same color, sanded them and thought they were very close.

I applied the WOP and boom the absorption as different for various planks causing both light and darker planks. :blink: Oh well I tried. 

Also thanks all for the likes. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

I had the same thing going on with my gun deck planking. I don't think it's absorption that's causing the variance in color, but rather the planks being of a different color to begin with. The degree of color difference would be difficult to see whether you sand the wood or not.  The only way I know off to get around this is too apply some W-O-P to the planks before you put them on the ship.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

6 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

The only way I know off to get around this is too apply some W-O-P to the planks before you put them on the ship.

That is an excellent idea which I'll do next time around. Thanks Mike!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, you could also wipe them with alcohol which will reveal the color of the wood with WOP applied, the alcohol will evaporate quickly and not harm the wood.

Nevertheless, your choice of wood and the finished colors of your deck look great!

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Another great idea! Thanks.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

In touring the Stickley furniture factory, sometime back, it was related that in the finishing stage they apply a translucent base (in the case I saw it was on the order of an orange color on cherry). This tended to "flatten" the color variation across the surface. This can even be evident in the boards of the same tree. I am keeping my ripped  AYC for planking from the same blank together to minimize the problem. It was evident on my Cheerful.

But I am sure you folk know that.

The "wetting" method given is indeed a good idea.

Joe 

On 11/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, Thistle17 said:

I am keeping my ripped  AYC for planking from the same blank together to minimize the problem.

Joe, be careful of doing that as an answer to the problem. There can be huge variations in color within a given sheet, some of which are not that visible. Just place all the strips flat on a table, edge to edge, and then W-O-P all the sheets to see what you've got. I usually hold the strips together with long pieces of tape. A straight edge at both ends holds things down.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

14 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

There can be huge variations in color within a given sheet,

The pear I used was all cut from one block into sheets and then strips from each sheet. I could see color changes from sheet to sheet

and from one end of a strip to the other. They were sorted by color variation, marked and I still came up with differences in color. 

Next time I'll go the one step further and wipe them down with WOP or alcohol and see how that works. 

Then again 15 years from now I'll probably not see much variation as the wood ages. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Mike I will take the added step.

And Rusty I took a look at my Cheerful again this AM and three of the starboard planks which were a tad dark seemed to have darkened even more.The model is now about 3 years old. Port display appears to be in order.

Will the perfect model ever be in my reach?????

Joe

20 hours ago, Thistle17 said:

Will the perfect model ever be in my reach?????

What is a perfect model? :blink:I have some I'm very happy with, but none are perfect! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Ben. Not a big deal. Just a little irritating when you think you've selected better. 

I built the ships wheel, binnacle and breastrail per Chuck's direction and placed them in their correct locations as well as the already completed capstan. Just take your time and follow the directions and all will be fine.  I still have to add the pawls to the capstan and the companionway railings. I'm still toying with adding the rope to the ships wheel. I'll probably add some to see how it looks and decide from there.

IMG_1655.thumb.JPG.63928f7b4365d2ae5898bb2f0a12a59d.JPGIMG_1656.thumb.JPG.634390399af99e8887527b91ceae9c38.JPGIMG_1657.thumb.JPG.58a49358d462aca835af80c430e96ff6.JPGIMG_1658.thumb.JPG.9bbbf7a3e70952b3479dcb7f8580daac.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Not that I’m anywhere close, but I have the same thought about rope on the ships wheel.  I know it would look good, but so would breech ropes on cannons and I’m not doing that. My current thinking is rope free is rope free. But who know when I get to this point sometime this decade.  

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Chapter twelve in cherry is also now available Rusty. 

Oh that is great Chuck. Thanks!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Chapter 12 part have been ordered and progress continues on chapter 10. :)

In this portion I was assembling the companionway railings and the first sections of the quarter deck fancy rails. 

The companionway railings were turned and shaped using files. The quarter deck rails were all laser cut by Syren.

The first thing I did was start cleaning up the parts and lay them out to see how they compare to the layout of my model.

After confirming that I was in good shape I started assembling the rails. After assembling each section I test fit them

adjusted as needed and then painted them.

IMG_1659.thumb.JPG.d1bfc22ff8e2bcc8d5fbd2a3eb560a7b.JPGIMG_1660.thumb.JPG.a6094131c8d698861e80d7ee16922107.JPGIMG_1661.thumb.JPG.f662cf987b5941243dc6c6d1f0e539a6.JPG

The two sections port and starboard were then permanently glued in place. Also, the companionway railings were finished at this time too.

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.35ec6c32fc0cb78f16927dbf49b2c060.JPGIMG_1663.thumb.JPG.5bbbe265a76f281c47efd2f356312e6d.JPGIMG_1662.thumb.JPG.1b26cbfb7176aa0c1854151e9685d807.JPGIMG_1664.thumb.JPG.82fdd559280a9c5291b4ba10c6b58a4c.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

So intricate and detailed. Just incredible work. Always enjoy seeing your progress and hoping mine turns out near as well. 

Regards,

Glenn