uploading pictures

There is an add image interface at the bottom of the " Submit reply "  box..

See: " Drag files here to attach, or choose files ... ", which will open a dialog on your PC/device ..

Maximum is 1600 x 1200..   

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Quick tip:  Once you upload the photos, then move the cursor for the first picture to where you want it and hit the "+" buttton.  One then continues that for each photo. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, Dubz said:

Image resolution should be around 1280px minimum, max 2048. 

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that the max was 1200 x 1600..   

Has that changed?

― Jimmy Buffett

I would like to see more resolution in most pictures..

So many of our members' pictures are small and lacking in detail..

― Jimmy Buffett

• 2 months later...

If you dont want to screw around with wires and draggingging and dropping etc......I usually just click on the photo in my phone and email it to myself.   Depending on your phone you will be able to either email it or send the image in a text.   Select the email option and send it to yourself.  Then I open the email on my computer and download it for use.  I am computer challenged also so my son told me to do it this way.....LOL.

That is the easy way if your phone is set up for it..... 

You can adjust the setting in your phone to take smaller photos.  Thats what i did because then they upload faster.  You can also create your post on MSW right on your phone.  Then upload the photo from your phone right to msw. That what I did below.   

My stash of yellow cedar.  Just got delivery of more wood sheets from the Syren Sawmill.  Uploaded from my Iphone.

348F8472-43E5-469C-BA46-A6C099FB8898.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Reposted under seperate topic.

Edited by BETAQDAVE

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 10 months later...

I have uploaded picture in the size of 4600x3400 plus without any problems.

But yes, there is a flaw with it (kind of surprising pleasant), details you didn't see with your eyes may stand out and you start wondering "What did I do there?"
Best way to document is to use a digital camera not a phone.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jeffzcuban said:

So I wanted to load a couple pictures on my first log and no matter how I have my rotation set on my desktop, the pictures appear upside down.

I tried searching for a clear answer and couldn't easily locate it. What am I doing wrong?

Hi - I'd suggest you watch the video linked on the first post at the link below...  It both describes why the problem occurs, and if you want a solution, I've programmed an application to remove the problem. It's cost free and may be of help.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a problem with drag-and-drop occasionally not working?  I'm using an old iMac, and quite often I can just drag photos from Photos to the panel in a comments window on MSW.  But then in stops working.  If I restart t he computer it fixes itself for a while.  Simply quitting either Photos or browser (I've tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome) doesn't fix it.

Add some more info Mike, like the OS.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, Mike_H said:

Anyone have a problem with drag-and-drop occasionally not working?  I'm using an old iMac, and quite often I can just drag photos from Photos to the panel in a comments window on MSW.  But then in stops working.  If I restart t he computer it fixes itself for a while.  Simply quitting either Photos or browser (I've tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome) doesn't fix it.

You may find it's easier just to use the "choose files..." button underneath the post editor and manually select the pictures from your filesystem instead of dragging and dropping straight in. You would need to export them from iPhoto first, but it's probably a more robust method than dragging and dropping, (which relies on iPhoto working out it needs to export the photos, and then passing that information through the clipboard to the browser, which then imports them).

Your problem could be caused by any number of issues (spare physical memory / page file / processor capacity on the computer to process what's happening, app incompatibility, application race condition, etc...), but as I said, the easiest thing is to take the issue out of the computer's hands and just use a more robust step-by-step method. 

If you want it to not be irksome, you could perhaps write an automator script that did these steps. That may depend on which version of OS X / OS 9 you're using, and how comfortable you are with Automator.

Hope that's helpful.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I have a related question- seems silly.  I would like to post a picture, then add some commentary about what's shown, then add another photo and continue, posting several pictures in a single upload, with comments interspersed.  Seems after a photo is uploaded, I can't get the cursor to go to a spot where I can add some text before I upload the next picture.  All photos seem to appear serially after any text.  Any solutions?

I'm relatively new on this site (and not that computer savvy), but what has worked for me is to have the images on the desktop (I'm on a Mac mini).  I'll put some text in a log entry, then hit the spacebar several times to create 'blank space' below the text.  Then I'll drag the desired photo into the empty space I've created (not the bar on the bottom).

The photo has thus far been inserted into the empty space (and also a 'record' of the insertion in the bottom panel).  Then I move the cursor with the mouse to the bottom right corner of the image just inserted, then hit the spacebar to add more 'empty space' below the image.  Then I can type more text and it appears below the image already added.  This process has been repeated to add a number of images.  Note that there will still be 'duplicate' icons of all images in the 'panel' (bar?) at the bottom.  You can ignore those.  Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 months later...

You may have to do the photos separately.  Delete them from the doc, upload the doc, then upload the photos and insert them in the proper place.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 hours ago, Thukydides said:

I have a question relating to photos. I have been doing my log in Google docs (just so I have a record) and then copying and pasting it into my log her on msw. I have noticed that when I view the log on mobile the pictures appear squished. Is there anyway to fix this?

It's probably because when you copy and paste the pictures it's actually copying and pasting code which will contain style parameters (width / height / alignment, etc..) specific to Google docs which will alter how the forum displays the images.

As Mark says the simple way (and certain) to get the right result is to download the image to your computer then upload it separately. This avoids the code being carried across. The other possibility is that you may be able to paste "unformatted text" which should cut out this code, but this option will probably only be available on some browsers / operating systems and you will lose any formatting (headings / bold / italic etc...) you've put into the log text you're copying at the same time. 

When you put the pictures into Google docs do you set the height manually? If so when the picture is shown on a desktop computer there is sufficient width for it to display with the correct aspect ratio (not squished), but when displayed in mobile mode there is perhaps less than a third of the screen width and so it honours the height setting you selected and resizes the width so it appears squished.

The simplest way to avoid this is to resize your photos before you upload them and then leave any further resizing (i.e. for mobile display) to the browser. It will show the image at full size on a desktop and smaller but at the correct aspect ratio on a mobile.

If you edit the posts you have made you should be able to edit the settings for height and width on each image to fix the aspect ratio, but hard coding the values will cause the image to go off the side of the screen on mobiles or to be very small on the desktop.

Better would be to remove the height and width settings entirely and let the browser do the work.

• 5 months later...

HEIC is a singular picture format for Apple. This format has to be converted in order to be uploaded to an universal unit.

Any phone can save pictures as a jpg. This can be set within your phone. Change the saving setting to jpg and you will be okay. Good luck

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer the 'drag and drop' method. I get the photos I want to upload onto my desktop then I'll type out my text and get my thoughts all down before I forget them, Then where I want a picture, I'll just enter a carriage return, then, leaving the curser in the blank line, I'll drag my image to the curser and drop it.

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Current Build: Cutty Sark, Sergal 1:78

Past Builds:

Cutty Sark - Plastic Half hull - wall mounted. Circa 1978

Cutty Sark - Plastic Full hull. Circa 1981

Cutty Sark - Billing 1:78 Wood Kit - Destroyed by the U.S. Navy. Circa 1988