Lindberg B17 'nose art edition' 1:64 by Popeye the Sailor - finished

Sorry to hear your woes denis  - I was gonna suggest pasta, but I ate it all  (not for the job you used wire for  but to intice houdini out  - heard he liked pasta)     glad you got it sorted in the end.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'll check those links out....thanks gents :)   surprised that I've not heard of that place CW.......god knows how much decal searching I've done.  though my past 'weekend' was kind of a wash.....things kept me hopping,  I did get a little bit more done on the Nine.  I cut out the decals I'm going to use from the supplied sheet,  and the one I got from Mega Hobby.  for the wings,  I'm using the 1:64 insignias and 'A' marking for the top surface of the starboard wing.  though not shown,  the insignia is on the bottom surface of the starboard wing.........looking at the pictures,  there is no 'A' on the underside.

88463407_1.jpg.fc9070a5f8a7e214b4c1c8b165657d0b.jpg

for the rudder......these are the 1:72 decals.   there really isn't that much of a size difference,  as can be seen ;) 

1493413402_2.jpg.4e32b3fc58b1b7abd1e822a444e8c2b4.jpg

475580628_3.jpg.02a860e043740535a86d6c85d320fdef.jpg

I should have shot a picture of the whole plane.........I thought I was going to get back to it,  but got carried off on another errand   {can't wait for the Christmas hub-bub to kick in}   I started to clean up the fuselage.....the underbelly will need a little extra attention.   I got a surprise in the mail recently........a Revell 1:72 'Memphis Belle' :)   looking over the kit,  it is clearly too good for the 'Wulfe Hound.  rest assured that a kit has been scoped out to build it.   this one will do well as the 'Belle',  or the 'Shamrock Special' ;)   I can't thank you enough 'masked stranger' :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

CDW- Thanks for the Sprue Brothers link.   I just ordered decals for my CH-53.... Yipee!!!!!

Denis, I'm not sure they had them on the bottom of the wing.  I could be wrong though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

no....pictures I have show just the insignia.  I did a bit more to her today....I was a putz yesterday  not related to the B 17.......I did a search on the Ruptured duck.  it was an early B 25B,  and one of the planes that made up the Dolittle raid.  Accurate Miniatures produced a 1:48 scale model of a B 25B,  but a review of the kit {it reads like a build log} I found,   states that it has some inaccuracies.   I've seen three variations of the nose art.....hard to say which one is the correct one.  I found a list of the planes in Wiki.

Doolittle Raid - Wikipedia

as I was writing this,  the mail came..........I have the decals finally!  after a month and a half,  the saga is over :)   I hope they don't ask me to do a review :rolleyes:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I haven't added any other decals so far........my typing went to the dogs today.....correcting as I go along.  I did add a couple more parts.......still have to finish the gunner repair.  curious.....I put the wings on......I hesitate gluing them on because I think it will be easier adding the smaller decals with the wings off.  ,,,better than juggling the whole plane...it is a large model ;)   I also fitted it on the stand........I was impressed with how it looks,  but I took it off and will save it till the final reveal.   I don't think I've ever been this attentive creating a replica of this subject........most of the time,  I simply took the kit's 'word' for it that this was what it looked like.  at first,  the walkways I painted on looked a bit off......I should have redone them.   but as I hoped,  seeing the assembled plane,  they don't look bad at all :) 

365182304_1.jpg.eb34f29ef970799ed6c348ff190f26fb.jpg

again.......I didn't think to measure the wing span......I believe I did it earlier in the log though.

271838485_2.jpg.5d00b25c08fc800ce08767969d34d29c.jpg

I had to close the blinds for these........the sun is a rare thing these days..........been cold and gloomy with frequent rain.   we've even seen squalls of snow.  glad I removed the walkway over the nacelles...looks more like the real plane.   I've done most of the fuselage mating touch ups...the topside is done.  the bulkheads are a big problem here.....even though I shaped and sanded the edges of them,  they still posed a problem when the halves went together.  I even removed all the guide tabs on the bulkheads,  so they wouldn't be there to create the gap problems I had.......I had 'em anyway.

1872427318_3.jpg.2a640cd99e3612c3df06756f395d7ab3.jpg

the Lindberg kit may not be a first choice,  but it does make into a pretty neat model.  I was looking at box art the other day........I saw kits {judging from the box art} that I would never buy,  because they looked like toys!

Monogram has a series of models that sports the model as the art.......some look really toy-like.   well,  the admiral wants to do the errands early.........silver lining,  since it might give me the afternoon to get something done. :)   in the grand scheme of things,  there isn't much left to do.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking very nice denis  - so looks the part.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The builder really is the one who sees things they would like to do over.   Looks perfect.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks gents :)  the one thing about jogg'in the scale like this,  is that some of the 1:72 decals are really too small to use.  the writing just looks like dashed lines,  so I'll just use the ones that stand out......like the fuel fills and such.  I did manage to do a little more on her.  one thing I came to the conclusion on...... if I choose to do another B 17,  I can only do one that has the yellow lettering.  there are some squadrons that use white lettering...I would hope that they come with their own decals,  and not like the situation that I have here,  in this case.  then again,  it was a snap decision and the plane was an odd scale.  it's still coming out quite well ;) 

the fuselage decaling......I had to refer to the pictures I have,  since both sides are not the same.

543550016_1.jpg.8432dab3df472c649f049bc9b67e0f9e.jpg

34553352_2.jpg.3f0338c9aebeea9d77809e6d5388e3db.jpg

I still need to decal the props....then they can be permanently added to the model.   only a few parts left.

813877857_3.jpg.9933a91c9de714596c287002e6634126.jpg

I'll have to do some gray on the underside of the nose........I touched it up after this picture was taken.   the nose art nails it :) 

1658982545_4.jpg.2c41857f3cd4dc1e0ceb12c3d8f26d91.jpg

you can see that the nose looks a bit off with the green.  I also did the fuel fills on the wings.

1697380680_5.jpg.d048f56677bbc590abcd95a9ea6173a7.jpg

I took today off....just as well,  'cuz I had some kitchen plumbing to do.   we seen to have sprung a leak last evening {Sunday}.   I did it myself.......wanted to see it done right ;)    oh.........and even if I wanted to leave her as a stand alone model,  I can't.   at some point in the assembly,  I must have broken off the 'tab' that keeps the right landing gear down.   it collapses on it's own.........stayed down long enough for me to have gotten those pictures.   good thing it comes with the stand ;)   so I have a four day weekend for Thanksgiving........something to be thankful for :D :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Odd scale or not it is clear you are getting your monies worth out of  this kit Denis. She is really turning out to be an impressive build. Like all your builds I'm always looking forward to the next installment.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I agree  with lou  -  very very nice looking  kite  (my late dads term)   its coming along really well.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks gents :)  I got more done yesterday.....the finish line is very close.   the kit does have it's problems....no bomb bay detail,  shape and detail of the upper and lower turrets,  along with a few other minor inaccuracies, but overall....the kit works.  it does the job and is a great kit to practice your skills on.  there is not a lot of extra detail to worry about losing,  but it can be added if one desires.  the one big downer is the scale......it makes it almost impossible to get after market parts.   I have a Revell 1:72 B 17 and I did some comparisons with this kit........it's night and day!  the one thing though,  I wish Revell would have added,  was a stand.  I had such fun with the stand.......what kicked off this build.  they are simple to make.....I may try and do it when I start either this B 17,  or the B 25 {which is 1:48 :stunned:

more on her today........before I get stuffed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I forgot I took these pictures.........found them in the camera :rolleyes:  the underside of the fuselage has these two holes.......one of them isn't even shown in the instructions.  back at the tail at the tail gear,  there is a hole that allows the tab for the gear to be seen.  I suppose it's a way to pop the tail gear back out,  in the event that your showing it with the gear up.  Since I won't be removing it from the stand,  I want to get rid of it.  I remembered an old trick I used to use.  I take scotch tape {frosted or clear},  cut a piece that will cover,  and lay it over the imperfection.  for a model like this,  it's great.........it ends up looking like an access panel ;) 

917365862_1.jpg.c7c2124ff2d3e00beb912bee4aabdbd4.jpg

I've covered the hole up here........it will later be painted.  where the stand button is located,  there is a hole that is not in the instructions.  I filled it over with glue with the hopes that it would do the job,  but it dried as a dimple.

1491860632_2.jpg.3fd4037125efdb017ea671443b8464a3.jpg

I will cover it over as well.  try not to put pressure on the hole itself,  or you'll get an impression.........I take an x-actor and rub around the hole and the edges,  in order to get good contact and get rid of air bubbles under the tape.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so now it's the addition of the few parts that are left,  and repair my top turret gunner.   working at the tail,  the guns were added,  along with what looks like a gun sight.  best guess......

186931231_1.jpg.3e4ef59696cf42b586e584989992f11b.jpg

the decal work was done on the props........and the wings are finally cemented in place.  I had to go get a cold water hose for the kitchen sink,  so it was a all good.......gave it time to dry.

879344094_2.jpg.ccf36184b52fa6f79e97a672e5502578.jpg

1035688825_3.jpg.fcafe3d5c544089168534734c09826b5.jpg

an 'awwwwww....nutz' moment came when went to finish the top turret gunner.   not sure if I used regular cement or CA,  but it frosted a small area of the turret glass.  I guess if one is just glancing over the model,  it might not bee seen.......but a detailed inspection will definitely pick it up.  oh....well <shrug>

1559484351_4.jpg.4e0b6559a0972e7020a0c392514371e5.jpg

I did touch up under the nose 'chin'.......now I feel happy :)  a small touch up is still needed

39020156_5.jpg.639f73c8c2353de699bac9937b4af566.jpg

the waste guns are in place........I should have cut down the gun butts,  'cuz I think they stick out too much.  didn't do it though........failed to see the specs on gun barrel length ;) 

1862305259_6.jpg.1fac5144421b71b00ae08f220f86ab9a.jpg

this morning....................................................................................................................................................................................................................*

the start of the finish.......

2040076255_7.jpg.8de221c7565477d08ca567220c06f138.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after a bit of fidgeting and taking Gibbs out......the Nine O Nine is finished!  she's mounted on the stand in all her glory :)   the admiral passed by the door and saw it....asked if the stand was a tool that I've been using.  she was kinda surprised I think,  when I told her that it came in the kit.  next thing I know.......she's got her phone and taking pictures of it :D   

1207344674_1.jpg.a80d2d3effa598f506ee2e3abb76ff6b.jpg

1366461609_2.jpg.dede5b148bdad19e85728b07381bdf4f.jpg

83484009_3.jpg.5fc98ef5b0140aa430cb2059f1571b47.jpg

1132978432_4.jpg.34a8d61d00a9a72051201427b55eee0f.jpg

1523445596_5.jpg.22c75c73499cf61d9893cc90e9d37ebb.jpg

I forgot to show you how the two underbelly patches came out.......they hardly can be seen :) 

1210533404_6.jpg.b72d6637debdb936563997e78741dce3.jpg

467336433_7.jpg.5e04db45406919848bc90f2a2f64ad95.jpg

305215289_8.jpg.8338a7169fd65067a719e268cb9e63a5.jpg

2034259612_9.jpg.a678bedad265555771f15522c429474e.jpg

...and there we have it.  it came out well for a spur of the moment build.  it was a fun build.  I hope you enjoyed look'in in on her progress........I enjoyed the company :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work Denis

As always I really enjoyed this build and again it will be sad to see it go. 

I fully expect though, that as soon as your turkey dinner is partly digested you have started your next project and have pictures to prove it. :D With superior skill comes greater responsibility, (to your followers) to keep us entertained with whatever you are building. :blink: 

Have a good buzzard day!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanksgiving meal was fantastic.......the spread was laid out over at my son Brandon's house.   spent time with the grand kids........a passion of mine :)   now I feel like a beached whale......and if I set down anywhere...I definitely will not be getting back up  ;)    thanks for the kind comments...I'm glad you like how it came out as much as I do :) 

thanks Jack....glad you enjoyed the build :) 

thanks Martyn :)  does yours have a name?  perhaps you could do a log {condensed is fine}........if your doing it for a museum,  it's gotta be really good!  love to see it ;) 

thanks Lou........shucks,  I'm not that good :blush:  not sure if I will do the B 25,  or the Memphis Belle / Shamrock Special.......if I do,  it will be like an expanded version...the kit is that good :)   I still want to do the Wulfe Hound,  but I have a kit in my Christmas wish list that will suit it OK.  you know........all this runn'in 'round for paint......when I have all that White Ensign paint :default_wallbash:.........I think I even have that German color

thanks Kevin......I though they were centered,  but I had problems with this.   being late with these decals and the props being assembled in the nacelles,  they were very loose and floppy.  it was hard to get them in the right spot,  so where the first one laid,  the rest followed.   from now on,  I will apply them before the props are installed.....scout's honor! ⚜️

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Ken :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Superb effort with the Turkey  - I mean Fortress   you should be well proud of her  (hope she is going somewere  pride of place).

Looking forward to the next one.

Happy  thansgiving  to you and yours.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well done, Denis.  Looks great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

thanks OC and Mark......I have accumulated so many book marks for B 17 sites........I'll be more than ready for the next one :D   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have been looking for these photos since this build first started.  I hope they are still of some interest.  The are in the reverse order that i intended.  Start with the taxiing and go up.  The location is the Leesburg, VA airport.

img158.jpg

img157.jpg

img156.jpg

img155.jpg

img154.jpg

img153.jpg

img152.jpg

img151.jpg

img150.jpg

img149.jpg

img148.jpg

img147.jpg

img146.jpg

img145.jpg

Edited by ragove

Some further information, for those folks old enough to remember the radio/TV  personality Arthur Godfrey, here is a paragraph from the airport's history:  In 1950, radio and TV personality Arthur Godfrey purchased the Leesburg Airpark and donated the property to the Town of Leesburg under the condition that the property continue to be used as a public airport for 20 years. Godfrey flew in and out of the Leesburg Airport for his weekly commute to New York City and popularized it on his national radio show as the "Old Cow Pasture."

I sent some pictures over to the foundation:

Hi Denis -

Excellent rendition. Well done.
We miss Nine 0 Nine

Hunter Chaney

Director of Marketing

Collings Foundation

978-562-9182

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 9:11 AM
To: Hunter Chaney <hchaney@collingsfoundation.org>
Subject: Nine O Nine

good morning,

My name is Denis Wenzel,  and I am a modeler.  I was starting to build a B 17G when I hear about the Nine O Nine crashing at Bradley.  At the time,  I was undecided what nose art to go by,  the kit was showing a terrible rendition of a fully marked B 17.  I was going to depict the Thunderbirds,  but quickly changed my mind when I heard the news.  the loss of a historic plane and life was very sad to hear.  I always loved these planes....but I won't lie.....Biplanes are my first love {but bombers are a very close second}.  I did this plane to show my respect and I hope that I've depicted her as close to her likeness.  you folks would be the best ones to decide.  here are some pictures of the model...I used the Lindberg 'nose art' kit in 1:64 scale...I wish I had used the Revell kit....much better detail.  I hope those injured have recovered well,  and coping with the loss,  a bit easier.

yours truly,
Denis >Popeye<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

your not too late ragrove........the interior is interesting.   nice to know that not all are painted in that green cromate.   as I read somewhere,  this was the case........part reason was that they didn't want to waste the paint.  I think a lot of it depended on the squadron and where they were stationed.   some even polished the darn things ;) 

on the subject of captured planes.........when off on a bombing mission,  the enemy in a commandeered aircraft,  would try and join the formation.  this was to spy and see what they were up to.  the formation was instructed to warn off the tag-a-long aircraft.  if that failed...then he was fired upon.  I would expect nothing less ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: