Bench Top 5" Disk Sander

I have a Byrnes disk sander, and it is a remarkable tool.  I love it!!! But I hate changing paper back and forth for different tasks.  The bulk of my work with the Byrnes is with the fine grit (180).  I occasionally could use coarser grit, like 100.  I decided to make life easier by buying a bench top sander that I can equip with coarse paper.  It cost me $40 at our local Menard's.  The tilting table mechanism and miter gauge are cheap, but I simply set both at 90 degrees with a try square and I don't anticipate changing them often.  The best feature is a variable speed control.  Wonderful!!  I really wish we could have that on a Byrnes!

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/power-tools/sanders/performax-reg-1-1-amp-corded-5-bench-top-disc-sander/jd2504/p-1489990860962.htm

sander.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Nice.... and I checked amazon  and found the same unit rebranded but at double the cost?  Go figure??

https://www.amazon.ca/Vibration-Free-Bench-Disc-Sander/dp/B07SFZGHVQ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=5"+bench+top+disc+sander&qid=1573327510&sr=8-9

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

36 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been contemplating getting the one on Amazon Canada, but I think I’ll have to give this one a try.

Unfortunately, shipping up north from Menards  is a deal breaker for me. 

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

1 minute ago, Ponto said:

Unfortunately, shipping up north from Menards  is a deal breaker for me. 

I’m in the US so I had the reverse issue (With shipping from Amazon Canada), I kept trying to find one “locally,” but never could find it until now.

I got myself the same thing a couple of months ago. I even got the 11% rebate back (which bought me a couple of long-nose clamps and some #18 blades).

It is a nice unit and comes with a clamp for the bench and yes, I do like the variable speed.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

16 hours ago, RichardG said:

I got myself the same thing a couple of months ago. I even got the 11% rebate back (which bought me a couple of long-nose clamps and some #18 blades).

It is a nice unit and comes with a clamp for the bench and yes, I do like the variable speed.

Richard.

Here you go - £21 plus £7 postage - be quick

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/product/parkside-disc-sander-ptsg-140-a1-140w-240v/245647

16 hours ago, RichardG said:

Richard.

Sorry I clicked on the wrong quote - its an age thing!

6 hours ago, fnick said:

I'd love to get one of those but unfortunately they come up very rarely on the Lidl website...☹️ And I can't find anyone else in the UK that sells them. 

Here you go - £21 plus £7 postage - be quick

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/product/parkside-disc-sander-ptsg-140-a1-140w-240v/245647

1 hour ago, No Idea said:

Sorry I clicked on the wrong quote - its an age thing

I've done the same thing. You can both edit a quote to remove stuff you don't want or delete the whole quote using the backspace key.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Any equipment that constitutes an Ohm-resistor (collector motors, soldering irons, incandescant bulbs, etc.) can be controlled with a simple dimmer - but check that it is rated appropriately. Dimmers are either available for wall mounting (which can also be set into a workbench) or as 'plugs' to go between the plug of your equipment and the wall socket (hence, no installation is required).

I have a dimmer hooked up to a foot switch from which I run all machines. This has the advantage that they are only under power when needed and that you can interrupt them by simply lifting your foot. The rpms are preset, so you can return to the same setting by pushing your foot down.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 months later...

I saw a test somewhere, where a speed regulator was used to control a fix speed disk sander, and while it worked to lower the speed, it took away so much torque, the tool became useless.

I know the Brynes one is a powerful machine, so it might not apply, but the impact will be probably there.

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

3 hours ago, fnick said:

Heads up for anyone in the UK, Lidl have those back in from tomorrow!

Thank you Nick!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Nevermind Menards is much better price, but this site has some cool stuff anyways, so i will leave the link.  For people in the states I found this one, it seems the price has gone up since I purchased but it is still better then Amazon Canada for US.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/ML9664X.html

Edited by Duanelaker

Great price for the Lidl disc sander. It is a bit small but for the price unbeatable. 

I made a disc sander years ago with a very old, much used corded drill, some thick plywood and timber. I used a £2 regulator for the speed and made the disc from MDF. I converted an arbor I bought cheaply. I chose a diameter of 200mm and I use 120 grit that lasts for ages. Perfect functionality

It died after a few years of hard continuous use, I got another cheap drill and still going strong. I also sharpen the kitchen knives there!

But for the price, definitely this sander makes a lot of sense. 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:28 PM, fnick said:

for anyone in the UK, Lidl have those back in from tomorrow!

Got one, thanks for the heads-up.

I arrived about 4 o'clock and there were two left on display. I asked if they had more to put out and was told they had already restocked the display once, had a few left.

Must be a lot of MSW addicts in the area. ;)

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Bought mine yesterday ( £29.99) with 6 abrasive Velcro type pads in 3 grades at Lidl, Wincanton, Somerset. UK.

They seem to be going fast.

Of late there has been lots of good value goodies for sale. A couple of weeks ago i bought a Scrollsaw  which was a rebadged Sheppach to their own brand of Parkside.

It had variable speed and foot control all for £69 sterling. A saving of about £50 to £60

Good hunting,

Mike

10 hours ago, Bob Blarney said:

a hook & loop (Velcro) conversion kit might be of interest to you. 

Having now had a few minutes to try out the new tool I am impressed with how smoothly and quietly it runs. It has a super-grippy hook & loop feature straight out of the box (which isn't obvious until you can see it) and I will see how some of my other sanding discs work with it. Is there an advantage in the conversion I am overlooking?

At a glance the hook & loop on the Lidl sander is different from that on my Bosch hand-held disc sanders: the Lidl H&L seems to be a finer grade and exhibits no 'crush' or compression of the abrasive disc.

So far, I am impressed.

Edited by bruce d
finger trouble

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

5 hours ago, bruce d said:

Having now had a few minutes to try out the new tool I am impressed with smoothly and quietly it runs. It has a super-grippy hook & loop feature straight out of the box (which isn't obvious until you can see it) and I will see how some of my other sanding discs work with it. Is there an advantage in the conversion I am overlooking?

At a glance the hook & loop on the Lidl sander is different from that on my Bosch hand-held disc sanders: the Lidl H&L seems to be a finer grade and exhibits no 'crush' or compression of the abrasive disc.

So far, I am impressed.

Nevermind!

If you have the space it would be great to have one sander using a rough grit for hogging material and fit the Byrnes with a fine finishing grit.

I know  “nothing” about motors so can someone explain why the Byrnes sander can’t be made with a different motor that will allow variable speeds?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

1 hour ago, Moab said:

If you have the space it would be great to have one sander using a rough grit for hogging material and fit the Byrnes with a fine finishing grit.

I know  “nothing” about motors so can someone explain why the Byrnes sander can’t be made with a different motor that will allow variable speeds?...Moab

There is something else that you might consider.

While the motor RPM are constant, the paper's surface velocity (inches/min) - and therefore the sanding rate - is greatest at the outer edge of the disc (5" x pi x RPM).  As a piece of stock is moved towards the center of the disc, the surface velocity drops, and becomes zero at the dead center of the disc.  So it is possible to alter the rate of sanding by positioning the piece.

Edited by Bob Blarney