CH-53 Sikorsky by mtaylor - 1:48 - Revell - FINISHED

mtaylor

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Can't handle raw earthworms or stuff like that

Who would want to? I don't even classify that as survival food!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

19 hours ago, lmagna said:

Thank you Mark. Believe me it was all my pleasure. You and the others here have given more than you received as far as I'm concerned. Having companions in a journey such as this means a lot. Some of my road still lies ahead but being able to share a little of it along the way has been priceless.

Lou, we'll be there as you travel that road.   And indeed having companions in a journey is a blessing.

12 hours ago, Backer said:

Nice model,

One of my colleagues at work served in the Serbian army at the artillery (Yugoslavian Civil War)
(Ordinary people such as him had the choice: 2 years of military service or 2 years of prison as compensation because you refuse to join the army).

Once the supply of food to their unit had failed. And a donkey passes by, within reach of their cannon ...
Bang, and there was a big hole in the donkey's body. And the cannon crew had "fresh meat".
Whether donkey was nice to eat, he never told me 🤣.

I've heard of such things.  One of my uncles in WWII at one point were eating just about anything they could find including horse, mule, and assorted small critters.

Well.. it has been a trip.  I'm leaving one of my favorites.  I may have posted the same music somewhere else, but this one, when I saw the movie, hit me hard.....  Peace to all.  See you in the build logs.   I'm taking a few days to clean up the workshop, do some shopping and then figure out where I was on it. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

In this part of the world (Belgium) it is normal to eat horse meat and cow tongues (no donkeys ;))
I think that this has something to do with the past 2 world wars that we have experienced (and all  the other wars before these 2 :()
Then you eat what is available, or you eat nothing.

Flemish saying:
"Honger maakt rauwe bonen zoet."    Hunger makes even raw beans taste sweet 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I worked on a store where we sold beef tongue in the US. Some folks liked the stuff. Had a beef flavor as I remember.

Me, I was more a corned beef or pastrami fan working in that section(Kosher deli) of the store. Much preferred the Italian deli section of that store. More goodies I knew of, out side of head cheese. That was bits of meat(?) in a clear meat jelly.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Here we go on another weird food train! Cow tongue is pretty common here in the PNW and as far as I know I have seen it on meat shelves all of my life. Also heart is readily available in the common market. I have eaten heart and found it pleasant but very lean with almost no fat, so hard to cook without making it tough. Tongue on the other hand is supposed to have a lot of fat but because of the look many people just cut it up into small pieces because of the look. I like Liver as well if it is not over cooked.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Every time I think about this it makes me laugh...

My brother and I were visiting our nephew at the water plant where he worked one night when we observed a bunch of armadillos foraging on the plant grounds. My brother said he heard they were good to eat and suggested we catch some, take them home and cook them up. After chasing them around for a half hour or so, we finally managed to catch a couple of them. They appear to be slow moving, but if you try to catch one, they can run like rabbits. We bagged them in a croker sack, took them home and started to clean them. These darn things are so well armored, and their claws so sharp, we couldn't find a way to kill/clean them that seemed worth the effort. So we gave up and released them unharmed. It was comical as heck.

Eating armadillas?? When I was in the Florida Panhandle at Eglin, they were like possums wandering across roads. Think I'd rather eat boiled peanuts. 😝

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Yep... we drifted off to food.  I think it's in our DNA...  :P:rolleyes::D

Had some off the wall foods in 'Nam doing MedCaps... muc nam, lots of rice and some other vegges but not sure what they were, and I think at on village we had dog.   Not sure as they wouldn't tell us and as honored guests we weren't supposed to ask.    On the Malaysian trip... cuttlefish, octopus, and eel.  All those again from the villages on the coast (we did "good will" trips).  Inland, I never asked just like in "Nam.  Just bowed, thanked them and smiled while eating it.  Once we left the village (both places), washed it down with beer.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

50 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I never asked just like in "Nam.

That was my policy whenever I ate local. If it tasted good, (Almost anything did after a steady diet of mess hall food) and didn't kill me, I didn't want to know what it was. :stunned::unsure: Like you I was pretty sure that at some point the food had been someones pet. But then It could have just as easily been rat! Some of them were HUGE!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very true, Lou.  When the locals food came, it was hot both in flavor and temperature and we were damn glad of it.  Hmm.. might have been rat instead of chicken... who knows?  It was lots of spices, a sauce, lots of rice and bits of meat.  We didn't insult them by dragging out a spoon, some guys used chopsticks and the others of us used our fingers and everyone smiled, both us and the villagers.  There was cross cultural stuff though.  One village I remember had spoons for their "honored guests" who brought medicine, tobacco for the adults and candy for the children.  Lovely people most of them.  I've often thought of going back for a tour/vacation/sentimental journey. but never found the time or money.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I've often thought of going back for a tour/vacation/sentimental journey. but never found the time or money.

I have seen people do that. I have never decided if I would like to or not. It is not really the time or the money, I have enough of both if needed. The area I was stationed was not really a tourist attraction in the first place, and probably mostly everything has been erased of our presence there. I think Part of my reluctance stems from the fear of really seeing how fleeting and possibly useless our time there really was, bringing credibility to what was happening by the Jane Fonda types here in the states and further discredit to our time there.

The other side of me would like to show my wife and to a lesser extent my kids where it all happened and why it can't really be explained.

I was able to go to the Vietnam wall in DC a few years ago, and pointed out a few names to my wife. It was clear that she still didn't understand when she said she had never seen me that way before. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I hear you on the fleetness and uselessness of our efforts.   I've been told, for example, the runway we used at our base is now part of a major north/south highway.  There's not much there to see from back then although some of the grunts have gone out to certain battlefields.   

I've avoided going to the Wall like the plague.   Not sure I could handle it.   Some things are too powerful emotionally and that's one of them.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I've avoided going to the Wall like the plague.

Sometimes I wish I had. I was shocked at my reaction.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I hear you.  I went to the funeral of a friend from my squadron back in the 80's.  They held at the VA cemetery and that with taps and bagpipers.....  I know for certain I wouldn't do well. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I never saw combat or Nam like you guys but I did visit the wall some time ago and was surprised at my reaction.  One of the guys I went to school with, 1st grade thru college, is listed on the wall. 

Edited by Jack12477

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Yep... we drifted off to food.  I think it's in our DNA...  :P:rolleyes::D

In psychological terms, it could be called the "old brain", one of three basic parts of our brain, this one being the most primitive. The old brain only concerns itself with three basic things...food, sex, and danger. It's in our DNA. 

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I hear you on the fleetness and uselessness of our efforts.   I've been told, for example, the runway we used at our base is now part of a major north/south highway.  There's not much there to see from back then although some of the grunts have gone out to certain battlefields.   

When we retired, one of my best friends (now deceased) went back to Vietnam and Thailand and stayed for over a month. 

A couple of my veteran groups run trips over to Nam on a random basis. I didn't leave anything over that way, except friends who won't be back. :(

I know the Thais ate dog, saw some in their butcher shops in Korat City. They were always eying our mascot, Roscoe dog, with bad intent. And Roscoe gave it as good as he got; chased the guys off on a routine basis. ;)

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

And Roscoe gave it as good as he got; chased the guys off on a routine basis. ;)

What is it with company mascots?  We had a dog we called Major, even had rank on his collar. He was always there when you came back from a flight and seemed to love everyone who was in a uniform. But with the exception of most of the Mama San and Papa San's in the company area HATED native people. Many called them "Gooks" back then. He would go into battle mode, all fangs and growls if approached by one. I never knew if it was smell or something else that triggered him but he never failed to let one get close to him but had no problems with any new GI who arrived or was there on business. I don't know what happened to him when we pulled out a few years later. As a dog that was born in Vietnam there is little chance he was allowed to go to the US with  his company. I hope he found a good home. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, Roscoe made it back to the States, to Hill AFB, Utah, where he lived for a number of years. He supposedly came to Korat in one of the early arrival aircraft in 65-66 or so, from Kadena AB on Okinawa.  He had his own party suit, a blue dog's coat with the rank of Colonel. He had the run of the base, even stopping the CO's jeeps if he wanted a ride by sitting in the appropriate lane facing the Colonel.  He could forecast how tough our missions up over the North of Viet Nam would be by whether he was sitting up paying attention to the briefers or laying on a chair, napping. His forecasts were better than the success rates for the weather briefers. That's why one of my current dogs is named Roscoe, in memory of the mascot at Korat.

Ken

55 minutes ago, Canute said:

Roscoe made it back to the States,

That has to be one of the advantages of having your own long range aircraft. Getting something home that would be hard any other way.  I once met a guy who was in K-9 and was devastated when the military made him leave his dog in Vietnam. He NEVER forgave the powers that be on that.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Whenever it was we closed Korat (late 70s, I guess), they must have packed everything up, including Roscoe pup.

Nowadays, the K-9s come home and get adopted out to families. Happy endings there.

Ken

Really nice job on this Mark.  Especially nice that you could build something you had a connection to.  Congratulations!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 5 months later...

A great read and a great build. Enjoyed that. 👍

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

• 1 month later...

HEY MARK,

HEY YOU DID A GREAT JOB. NICE TO SEE YOU WORKING ON OTHER TYPES OF MODELS. IT A NICE CHANGE IN LIFE TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

GOOD GOING BRO!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER