M16 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage w/ Church Ruin by Jack12477 - 1:35 scale - Tamiya / Verlinden - FINISHED

I decided to dig into my stash of plastic 1:35 scale kits and do the Tamiya M6 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage or half-track and the Verlinden Church ruin kits together as a diorama. The Verlinden kit is cast hydrocal plaster and is now out of production since Verlinden retired some decades back. I picked up the last two kits my local brick and mortar hobby store had just before they closed their doors forever.  I will be doing the diorama somewhat similar to what is shown on the Verlinden box art with some additional Tamiya figures/accessories from my collection of completed Tamiya kits.

Box art and contents shown below

Verlinden Kit

IMG_7876.JPG.8a2e75bfae00d7ddb7af7e01ed9aa3ef.JPG

Tamiya Kit

IMG_7874.JPG.1c59b86e2934b3e0128cab2217307468.JPGIMG_7957.JPG.fec7eba72e59b7005098ae094e2314d3.JPGIMG_7958.JPG.49cffec7c587f23c14443162eb6b6a6a.JPGIMG_7959.JPG.191cb3a472cdf12524085961cf1ad622.JPG

The Verlinden kit consists of two large castings of two walls of the church and 3 smaller castings of rubble from the church walls.  To assemble them I used 5 minute epoxy

IMG_7913.JPG.f6f76208dbd13aaca953b33d099c176f.JPGIMG_7914.JPG.dfcaced02e8b858b27ef9009d91c47b6.JPGIMG_7915.JPG.7a5692c79c5c0e3af0e3386aad9b0cdd.JPGIMG_7916.JPG.46ce79091ba6c04b2bdf6bc6bc2033dd.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

Looking forward to this Jack.

Although I am not really an armor/military vehicle person, I do love dioramas. I think I will be learning a lot from you on how to deal with a number of pertinent issues on my build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Lou  Welcome aboard . 

I tried my hand at weathering the plaster. First I coated it in Tamiya Fine Grey primary, then I applied a coat of Floquil Cement color paint, then a wash of Floquil Engine Black.  Followed by a few more alternated coats of acrylic Mars Black and Floquil Mud.

Grey primer coat applied

IMG_7917.JPG.7b4c1fe7f49dbbac2580a1b76cf8e90f.JPGIMG_7918.JPG.d94ef5decddb18b93081e63718096558.JPG

First pass at weathering

IMG_7919.JPG.2c31d14bb0b6a3be19fe99e1ad08748c.JPGIMG_7920.JPG.6d4b30bd72bf0d62ac837a598d68c09d.JPGIMG_7921.JPG.43fab9238fe5e99f306770b4717ee1d4.JPGIMG_7922.JPG.4fad9e5efd981a6b9109c62f785f0c5d.JPG

I put it aside for a while until I get the half track vehicle assembled and painted. Then I will revisit the weathering of the church ruins once I decide on what other accessories I will add to the diorama.

Edited by Jack12477

I'm gonna have to sit in on this. ( the rabbit hole beckons🤣)

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Wow, that was quick weathering! I agree with Craig, turned out perfect I don't see where you need to come back to it later.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Count me in  - I too have done some Armour  in the past  from 1/72  diorama's  to  Tamiya 1/35  scale tanks  etc.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I like the weathering on the church building so far.

Thanks, Craig

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Wow, that was quick weathering! I agree with Craig, turned out perfect I don't see where you need to come back to it later.

Thanks Lou, I cheated a little. I did the Verlinden piece before I started the log. 

Welcome Edward and OC.  Yea the rabbit hole does beckon.  

Maybe later in this blog I will post photos of each British, American and German armor I have done in the past, in some cases I have all 3, 4, or 5 variants of the same vehicle. They are all in plastic storage boxes right now.

I have to start on the half track now. Will post again as I get sub-assemblies done

Edited by Jack12477

Nice work on the church (or what's left of it), Jack.   Looks appropriately battle damaged.   I put one of those half-tracks to together way back in the day.  Nice model when done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, Ken, Welcome

Just a small update

I completed the gun platform.

IMG_7960.JPG.a4c7f88be1c9fef25ccf513d9e81322a.JPGIMG_7961.JPG.9a0f97040992245105d3790ffb9555cb.JPGIMG_7962.JPG.679144e253853bf0edfcd2e9ef1df9e3.JPGIMG_7963.JPG.0db9ea075b02942c67d54ce6b507d1a4.JPGIMG_7964.JPG.cd2761b1dbf00a337fb4f56eb6094ccb.JPGIMG_7965.JPG.70b3669b7fcc6586ba7f91019ff698e6.JPGIMG_7966.JPG.3179ce407189b647bbf6266058db23cb.JPG

Next up is the truck chassis, engine and other parts.

14 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

IMG_7963.JPG.0db9ea075b02942c67d54ce6b507d1a4.JPG

Next up is the truck chassis, engine and other parts.

The gunner isn't "Lieutenant Dan" by per chance?    I'll go quietly now.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

The gunner isn't "Lieutenant Dan" by per chance? 

Had to think about that one before it came to me. Your memory is kicking right in there!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

41 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Had to think about that one before it came to me. Your memory is kicking right in there!:D

It comes and goes and sometimes it even surprises the hell out of me like on the "Lt. Dan" post. :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The gunner isn't "Lieutenant Dan" by per chance?    I'll go quietly now.

Mark, now you know they would never let an "ossifer" (Officer) handle a gun like a quad 50 ! Besides wrong war! This WWII, that's Pvt Kilroy ! Remember him ! He left his calling card all over Europe ! :D :D:D:D:D

joining in on the fun Jack..........you've picked a really neat project :)  off to a very good start!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Mark, now you know they would never let an "ossifer" (Officer) handle a gun like a quad 50 ! Besides wrong war! This WWII, that's Pvt Kilroy ! Remember him ! He left his calling card all over Europe ! :D :D:D:D:D

I dunno about that.  We had Lt. type fly one mission as door gunner because "he wanted to see what it was like".  On the way back to the base, told him to clear the gun.... he did.... all 250 rounds fired when all we wanted him to do was raise the cover, remove the belt and rack the handle.  Facepalms all around on that flight.  Luckily we were over the bay and the rounds went out towards the ocean.

As I recall, Kilroy showed up in 'Nam off and on.  Not like WWII but he was there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

We had Lt. type fly one mission as door gunner       told him to clear the gun.... he did.... all 250 rounds fired when all we wanted him to do was raise the cover, remove the belt and rack the handle

I rest my case ! ;)

Did anyone 'splain to Lt Dumbjohn what he'd have to do? Or was it easier to let the lad flail. ;):D  Guess we took a long time to get aviators into combat, with the schooling we did.

Heck, the time I got to drive an M-60, in Schweinfurt, Germany, I got a 3 minute briefing on steering (like a bicycle), gear selection(one forward, I think) and speed(the long wide one on the right). Just don't get too close to the HAWK battery and no, you can't turn the turret to put the barrel forward. I drove one tank across a good sized ditch and went into their parade ground? We took 3 tanks into this huge field and immediately got into a wheel of the 3 tanks chasing each other's tail.  The Army captain wasn't too amused until he saw our AF Colonel driving one of the tanks in this rat race.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Did anyone 'splain to Lt Dumbjohn what he'd have to do? Or was it easier to let the lad flail. ;):D  Guess we took a long time to get aviators into combat, with the schooling we did.

Heck, the time I got to drive an M-60, in Schweinfurt, Germany, I got a 3 minute briefing on steering (like a bicycle), gear selection(one forward, I think) and speed(the long wide one on the right). Just don't get too close to the HAWK battery and no, you can't turn the turret to put the barrel forward. I drove one tank across a good sized ditch and went into their parade ground? We took 3 tanks into this huge field and immediately got into a wheel of the 3 tanks chasing each other's tail.  The Army captain wasn't too amused until he saw our AF Colonel driving one of the tanks in this rat race.

I was nearly flattened by a British Challenger 2 tank  while driving in a rush up a country lane where the Army had their ranges.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I got to ride in a M-60 once. It was fun in a way but pretty much all I remember was how high off of the road you were when riding in the turret and how stinky they were with the diesel fumes.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

32 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I got to ride in a M-60 once. It was fun in a way but pretty much all I remember was how high off of the road you were when riding in the turret and how stinky they were with the diesel fumes.

One of these  -  I built the kit years ago  - very nice kit.

Pic of the net.

OC.

hqdefault.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Oh yeah.  We tried on the ground but he wasn't paying attention on how to load, unload, use the safety, etc.  But then, he was just out of OCS and knew everything.

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Back around 72, the company I worked for was building the M901 ITV (M113 with a tow launcher on top).   Part of the contract was "testing" of each vehicle so they built a test track out back.  I was writing the manual for it, and had to "take her for a spin"...  Great fun, knocking down trees and generally making a mess of the test track.  After our tests, they'd ship it out to the proving grounds to fire the TOW's, etc.    The classic test report of that project was "fired the machine gun for 5 minutes.  Tested fine.  Spent 4 hours putting out the fire at the range.".  Tracers in the middle of summer... not a good idea.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Oh yeah.  We tried on the ground but he wasn't paying attention on how to load, unload, use the safety, etc.  But then, he was just out of OCS and knew everything.

Back around 72, the company I worked for was building the M901 ITV (M113 with a tow launcher on top).   Part of the contract was "testing" of each vehicle so they built a test track out back.  I was writing the manual for it, and had to "take her for a spin"...  Great fun, knocking down trees and generally making a mess of the test track.  After our tests, they'd ship it out to the proving grounds to fire the TOW's, etc.    The classic test report of that project was "fired the machine gun for 5 minutes.  Tested fine.  Spent 4 hours putting out the fire at the range.".  Tracers in the middle of summer... not a good idea.

Ah, yeah, Mr Know-it-all. We had them, too.

In the 80s, we finally put chaff and flare dispensers on the inboard pylons of the F-4. The Recce version from the start, had flare dispensers built in for night photography. We had real chaff and 2 flavors of flares, real ones and practice ones for training. Newer fighters got them too. Anyway, a couple of F-16s tried to burn up a good sized chunk of the Jersey Pine Barrens by dropping practice flares at too low an altitude. Almost burned a school down.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Moving on to the chassis sub-assembly

Main chassis

IMG_7968.JPG.858e8a072088a323a59b5d17160bfebc.JPG

Front axle

IMG_7971.JPG.c4b17083131db42aefdb45a35e9af9d4.JPG

Rear axle

IMG_7970.JPG.42a1872f63f1e0618d3b60cf501dd7cf.JPG

Left and Right tank tread assembly

IMG_7969.JPG.5f7f1ed70b4a09cda67dd4d34a358a8c.JPG

Miscellaneous wheels, drivers, idler wheels

IMG_7972.JPG.6cd13ffb0e5b95f30fd8105d8966bcf5.JPG

Chassis assembled

IMG_7982.JPG.c65f6043237dd2b160dacef1f98cec99.JPGIMG_7983.JPG.c35eae16e97973543f44153d1b7fa86f.JPG

Almost want to call that a Frankinchassis. My eyes keep looking for rear wheels but they are not there. Great looking work Jack.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 hours ago, lmagna said:

My eyes keep looking for rear wheels but they are not there

The "rear wheels" are a tank tread. ;)  Hence the name "half-track".   You will see shortly