Citroen Traction Avant by kpnuts - FINISHED - Heller - 1/8

I'm suspicious of that 2nd picture.  I didn't realize this was to be a war wagon.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

I'm suspicious of that 2nd picture.  I didn't realize this was to be a war wagon.

They were used extensively during the war as communications carriers and light patrol vehicles....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 minute ago, Egilman said:

They were used extensively during the war as communications carriers and light patrol vehicles....

Thanks.  I'm learning something new every time I log in.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought you were building a junk yard dream.........but I see two of them.    are you building them both?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

14 hours ago, Egilman said:

As Egilman indicated, the Citroen Traction Avant was the favorite car of the "La Resistance" movement, fighting against the German invasion in certain parts of the French territory. The Traction was used for multiple reasons, its performances (unsurpassed by any other cars), its reliability, range, size, road handling and capacity. It became the darling of these French groups, fighting in the shadows against Hitler Nazis regime.

The Traction engines were even modified to run on gas, as liquid fuel was becoming very rare, and you can see some models equipped with these long metallic bottles on the roof. Parisian taxis were using them a lot in their "gas" conversion type and after the end of the war, that car continued a brilliant career with many different professions and trades. I met a gentleman who had done more than 500,000 kilometers with the same chassis on a 11CV Traction Avant. Granted, the engine had been redone twice. This kind of figure was totally unseen when most cars had a life expectancy of around 70K-100K kilometers maximum.

i218054.jpg.411ae3d77c9c859a70fc7fc739fa4037.jpg6a00e0099229e88833014e60e7fb4a970c-600wi.jpg.9f81046de134e118db8a3442d53f701e.jpg

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

For people interested in the "gas" engine. https://www.driveonwood.com/library/gengas/

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yep, a couple of Stens in the front seats and an MG34 in the back.....

They actually represented this in the movie "The Great Escape"

The coburn character "Sedgwick" is in paris trying to look small when he is saved by a cafe keeper when a couple of german officers sit down..... A car like this one pulls up and machine guns the german officers then screeches away and Coburn takes the chance to connect with La Resistance'......

Powerful scene, and is what came to mind as soon as I saw the MG34......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

9 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

As Egilman indicated, the Citroen Traction Avant was the favorite car of the "La Resistance" movement, fighting against the German invasion in certain parts of the French territory. The Traction was used for multiple reasons, its performances (unsurpassed by any other cars), its reliability, range, size, road handling and capacity. It became the darling of these French groups, fighting in the shadows against Hitler Nazis regime.

The Traction engines were even modified to run on gas, as liquid fuel was becoming very rare, and you can see some models equipped with these long metallic bottles on the roof. Parisian taxis were using them a lot in their "gas" conversion type and after the end of the war, that car continued a brilliant career with many different professions and trades. I met a gentleman who had done more than 500,000 kilometers with the same chassis on a 11CV Traction Avant. Granted, the engine had been redone twice. This kind of figure was totally unseen when most cars had a life expectancy of around 70K-100K kilometers maximum.

Yves

Thanks for the explanation, Yves.  Time for me to go do some reading.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

"The Job is done.... Vive la France !"

I think that would be a good title for this one......

Beautiful work.......

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

12 minutes ago, Egilman said:

"The Job is done.... Vive la France !"

I think that would be a good title for this one......

Beautiful work.......

That is just splendid work! Vive la resistance!

Edited by Nirvana
Correction due to kpnuts comments

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

4 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I actually called the dio vive la resistance 

Great Name....

You do beautiful work..... and historically accurate also....

It's what we do....

Quote:

very nice work.....it looks awesome.........I'll send a message to Hogan right away  ;)     

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Vive la resistance is a great title.  I had to look twice a the MG's and the final pics.... almost too real.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

NICE!!! Great dio, very atmospheric! You can almost hear Le Chant des Partisans.;)

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Wow, very cool diorama!  I love it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Great work. You captured the  captured the atmosphere perfectly. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 years later...

I used to have a YouTube channel but deleted it because i had someone tell me the traction avant wasn't about in ww11 I said it was and posted some pics on there it got very abusive from there on to the point of saying they would find me and kill me (obviously they couldn't,  or I hope so) anyway lots of links to stuff I posted on there obviously don't work now.

7 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I used to have a YouTube channel but deleted it because i had someone tell me the traction avant wasn't about in ww11 I said it was and posted some pics on there it got very abusive from there on to the point of saying they would find me and kill me (obviously they couldn't,  or I hope so) anyway lots of links to stuff I posted on there obviously don't work now.

Don't remind me, I have Steel Navy in my background... Sometimes it's best to leave and never go back... Good for you...

There will always be those to think expert so well they miss the real deal.... They will never realize that if you have to open your mouth to prove your an expert, you aren't...

We have them in the history world also.... (unfortunately)

Don't ever sweat them brother, just come here for the reality... {chuckle}

Quote:

Beautiful model KPnuts,

that must have bee one of the first sedans with frontwheel-drive

Good job there !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Excellently   done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1