Citroen Traction Avant by kpnuts - FINISHED - Heller - 1/8

Hi all since I've found this section I thought I would post pics of what I consider my best build ever. I will post it as a wip although its actually finished (I love old rusty things and my initial ideas to build it in the middle of a field with a tree growing out of it, but I was given a better idea of building it as a kind of last running jaolpy that the French resistance could find for a last mission)

So to start (I read loads saying the engine is warped and needs loads of bracing tabs to make it fit together well (initially I thought I was lucky but I've built this kit twice and both times the fit was purfect) I took pics to prove there was no bracing.

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

Mind if I pull up a chair? I started (and never finished...) This kit back in 2004... Was good fun but if I remember correctly I gave up when I couldnt get the roof to sit flush on the lower part of the body. Found some pics on my pc. Certainly didn't know anything about cleaning mold lines back then!😄

You're certainly off to a good start!

Nick

I will be following your build log with a lot of interest for various reasons.

My brother (in France) owns an 11CV traction Avant and a 15CV that he restored completely from the ground up.

My brother created a BLOG to document the restoration: https://rouler-en-traction-avant.blog4ever.com/

It is all in French, but you may be able to find a lot of good information.

By the way this is a video of his 15CV  engine recently rebuilt and firing for the first time in decades....

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

I'm getting flashbacks to the junk yard I worked in as a young man starting out......

Beautiful work.......

No,

Stunningly Beautiful work......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Beautiful start, like the aging of the parts.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Shock me up a bit when I saw the first photo and started scrolling down.   I thought you had photographed the real thing.   It's that good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought you had switched to the real thing as well, until I saw the picture where it is sitting on top of the white appliance. Amazing work and detail.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looks great

Nice weathering 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17 hours ago, kpnuts said:

DSC_0131.JPG

If I may suggest, there is a small round gasket all around the frame, where the two sides of the hood rest. This is to prevent the hood panels from rubbing against the body and damage the paint, while creating unpleasant noise. A wire of 1 mm or 1.5 mm would be perfect to recreate that fabric/rubber gasket.

That model truly builds like the real car.

Yves

as I'm going through this log........I'm thinking to myself that this looks to be a good size model.   I did the double take to find that this is a 1/8 scale model......wow!   gee......I don't know EG.......I think this looks of junkyards I still visit! ;)    superb job KP........love the looks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Hi all another installment.

I do suspect that when your done restoring that honey, it's going to come with the 28 point dealer inspection certificate, correct?

That is so beautiful it ought to....

I have to keep reminding myself your working on a model, not a real car......

Absolutely fantastic work....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

That's so well done, I like the aging of the model. Wish I had those skills.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

56 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

That's so well done, I like the aging of the model. Wish I had those skills.

You and me both brother you and me both......

46 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

It's easy mate the body is just the salt method the windscreen is just masking .I'm happy to post how I did it if anyone is interested.

Please do, your techniques of aging I've never seen before.....  And we love to expand our tool boxes.....

Quote:

Happy to do so I did a tutorial when I built this originally as I had so many people saying they wish they knew how I did it.

I also had loads telling me i should be ashamed of myself for ruining such a great kit and what rubbish techniques i was using it nearly put me off modeling, luckily I was on decent forums like this and they convinced me to continue ( dont listen to the bashers (theryre everywhere)) I consider this the best dio I have ever done (even over the warspite dio) we all have a build we never think we will beat and this was mine.

Tutorial please!

Respectfully

59 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

I also had loads telling me i should be ashamed of myself for ruining such a great kit and what rubbish techniques i was using.....

There are some people in the modeling world that simply need their friggen heads examined..... Something I just don't understand is people that can't see brilliance when it slaps you up side the noggin......

Quote:

That is why I love our forum  as we are all not affraid to push our individual  building skills, and try to put our own stamp on what we are building  - giving it a bit of life in any way we wish to.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

There are some people in the modeling world that simply need their friggen heads examined..... Something I just don't understand is people that can't see brilliance when it slaps you up side the noggin......

I find those that critical usually have some mental issues.  Best to ignore the trolls and they will wander off and look for attention elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is why I love our forum  as we are all not affraid to push our individual  building skills, and try to put our own stamp on what we are building  - giving it a bit of life in any way we wish to.:cheers:

OC.

Spot on OC.  And generally advice or help is only offered when someone asks for some.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

what was the yellow..........primer?  the windshield is cool :)    very nice job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch