Citroen Traction Avant by kpnuts - FINISHED - Heller - 1/8

Thanks guys.

The yellow was filler primer( it goes on very thick and dries quite soft so is easy sanded) (I thought when I sprayed it on it would reveal loads of imperfections but it didn't)

The salt technique I use is mostly the same as everyone else uses 

So here is the tutorial. Firstly let me say I'm not saying I'm good at this or that isnt any of my own ideas (well apart from the plastic ageing)all the rust techneques I use here have been used by others, perhaps not all at the same time or combined with other thchneques, so here it is, hope it is of some use.
Firstly this is old spare parts and I am going to spray the overall top colour black, simply because I think it will show the effect off best, first I paint the rust colour on the part roughly where I want the rust,
c1MQsxc.jpg
If I want blistering bubbles in the paint I use pva glue and a cocktail stick.
Yp7QC4F.jpg
please excuse the blured pic, its difficult to use the camera whilst applying the glue, I allow that to dry 
ynVYy8C.jpg
then apply a few more dabs around and on that one and allow those to dry
G2xIoxZ.jpg
Yb1sNpu.jpg
next I use sea salt in a grinder (you get more uneven grain sizes than table salt
umM8wRF.jpg
Now there are 2 methods you can use now, water, or hair spray
XXj0md3.jpg
the bottom one is just water which is applied where you want the rust only the top part I applied the hairspray all over it (I decant the hairspry into a lid from the can so if I wanted I could only apply it where the rust is, I've done it all over on the top piece I will explain why in the next step)
0QVRMXj.jpg
now wee sprinkle the salt all over whilst everything is still wet. then allow it to dry.
LIGFT0l.jpg
then we spray it all black you can see from the water one that some of the salt has already fell off
orpcS3T.jpg
now we brush all the loose salt off 
peLLdK9.jpg
that is as far as you can go with removing paint on the water and salt one, however with some warm water and a stiff brush you could also remove all the black paint from the hairspray part if you wanted to, the advantage of this method is if the salting has not shown enough rust you can show more like this.
b9j6TPG.jpg
The next stage (this wont work on the hairspray one ) is to use some cellulose thinners
d5AxhOt.jpg
I like to use the dirty thinners I clean my brushes in as it helps with the staining , I also have a special brush with very few bristles left so it cant hold much, I literally shake the tin and whats in the lid is what I use(WARNING THIS MELTS PLASTIC BE CAREFUL)
S594YXn.jpg
NBaZBBF.jpg
I literally just run it down the seams to give the rust tracking and bubbling you get.
8u64Sbl.jpg
8kSzBn0.jpg
Here endeth the rusting 

That rust detail is so accurate as the Citroen was prone to rust in those areas.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Phenomenal!:stunned:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Are you going to simulate rust holes too? Like in the doors/fenders....

Edited by Nirvana

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

very nice technique :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You really wont be sorry it is an amazing kit I've built it 3 times now, this was my first then I built a custom then I cut the roof off and built it as a hot rod put a 7 litre v8 in it (cant seem to find pics of that one I will keep digging but I do have over 30,000 pictures of models I've built

IMG_20170422_53554.jpg

IMG_20170711_42571.jpg

IMG_20170422_9910.jpg

IMG_20170422_55686.jpg

IMG_20170422_421.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

Looking like it's seen a few miles.  Maybe not, some of the French and Italian cars rusted just by someone looking at them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I give up! There is no way that anything I can build has any business on this forum! 

I have no words in my head that can cover either of the cars here. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

I give up! There is no way that anything I can build has any business on this forum! 

Look at the tiles on the floor, those tiles are 8" square.....which means the model is almost 2 feet long..... your Huey in the same scale would be about 4 & 1/2 feet long.

That does change the perspective a bit Lou...... :-)

I know, it leaves me speechless too.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just amazing!

I like the aging very much. Are you compete with that model?

Respectfully

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

which means the model is almost 2 feet long..... your Huey in the same scale would be about 4 & 1/2 feet long.

It was not the size it is the attention to detail. I could go through my Huey and replace much of what I know is wrong or overly simplified with it, but at my best I could not come close to duplicating the creative pieces of art represented in this build and so many others on this forum. I can live with it, (I really don't have much choice) but I can't help but be a little embarrassed at my more than modest skills when I see this degree of ability. I am envious but at the same time I'm Absolutely amazed and impressed.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

38 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I am envious but at the same time I'm Absolutely amazed and impressed.

Me too...... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you so much, I'm blushing at the moment, if this keeps my head will be too big to fit out the front door.

I've got loads of these builds, what would you like to see next

An unusual garage (I did a dio of army surplus type vehicles as if you could buy them off the high street) 

A 1/12 Bentley 4.5 litre blower

A 1/8 scale Corvette 

A 1/24 london bus 

I've got literally dozens of them.

49 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

A 1/8 scale Corvette 

A 1/24 london bus 

If you keep popping them in we'll keep looking😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

6 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Thank you so much, I'm blushing at the moment, if this keeps my head will be too big to fit out the front door.

I've got loads of these builds, what would you like to see next

An unusual garage (I did a dio of army surplus type vehicles as if you could buy them off the high street) 

A 1/8 scale Corvette 

A 1/24 london bus 

Personally, I'd like to see: 

- the Airfix Bentley 1/12

- the Monogram Corvette. Is it  a C2 or a C3? I built the C3 when I was a teenager. Wish I had kept it....

- The London Bus would be interesting too.

Yves

Needs a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, kp. ;) :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild