HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by glbarlow - FINISHED - 1:48

Glenn watching your work while I'm away from mine makes me want to be home quicker. I really don't know how to add any comments after all the others except I keep being amazed each time I come back and visit.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, niwotwill said:

watching your work while I'm away from mine

I’m glad you’re enjoying the log and appreciate your comment. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when I finish it. It’s been a great year (when not much else was great about the year) building it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I posted this as a reply on Derek’s log about technique I discovered making rope coils (described in post #687 and shown above). I thought it might be helpful as additional information here. I made and rejected a lot, but in the end I think they look worthy of Cheerful. So here it is:

3F833752-5AA5-46D6-8C56-2CEA03374898.thumb.jpeg.b246d50aab81d9b2d9e69ac079b4b444.jpeg

A couple of nuances I did with my modified approach that might help: a. the loop is top side over bottom to start it, then continue that loop for a full 360 degree turn before putting over the pin on the coil jig, it’s easy to stop with the first loop but it doesn’t look as good. b. Pulling the top rope for tension (referring to post #687)  is a bit of the art, not too tight, not too loose, before painting the clear acrylic.  c. The smush after it’s dried is, for me anyway, what makes them more realistic.  I even paint the inside of bottom the bottom loops of the finished coil with a little water so it’s not so stiff.  d. The clear acrylic helps, it dries more natural than watered down glue), but it isn’t a true adhesive so the CA on the back side of the loop is essential in holding it all together. e. My jig has one size for cleats another for pin rails. The difference is the size of the loop and the length of the coil. It’s specific to 1:48 Cheerful, I’ll have to make a new one for a 1:64 model.  

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I’m done. 

Post to follow in a few days on stancions and anchors, plus another after i take final photos.

8D47DCBE-31D9-4F12-B792-03C8DCEF3D7D.thumb.jpeg.83aa93b65b5a40237e979ae235c5bdd8.jpeg

Meantime, mini-me takes a look around

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Congratulations Glenn on a beautifully done FIRST SCRATCH model. I can't believe this is the first scratch model. I've followed along since I started my Cheerful and have used your work as a guide and inspiration along with your techniques to help me along my way.

Magnificant job I look forward to the closing photos.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

16 minutes ago, niwotwill said:

I can't believe this is the first scratch model.

The mini kits and excellent design really helped, I’ve learned so much. Glad my log helps. 

Regards,

Glenn

Great work Glenn, I'm eagerly awaiting the final photoshoot😉

Your Cheerful looks stupendous! Beautiful execution of a well designed model

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Glenn,

Congratulations on a beautifully build ship! Not only was your workmanship first rate but

your build log was wonderful too. It will be an invaluable source for others who follow. 

Great Job! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Glenn,

Superlative job!  Something for me to really aspire to!

Spent a couple hours last night just reading the first portion of your build log.  Really like and appreciate your writing style in your logs...it makes them very educational as well as a great way to illustrate your build.  Your photography background really shows through as all of the photos are excellent.

In just the first few pages I picked up several ideas and I'm really looking forward to reading the remainder and use it as a reference for my builds.  Glad to see that you've mastered your Byrnes saw.  Had I been following earlier I would glad to give you any tips.

Really like the workshop with the wooded view.  Way too clean though!

Looking forward to your next build.

Jeff

Jeff

aka HobbyMill

NRG Member

Current Build: Constitution

47 minutes ago, Boatsinc2000 said:

Way too clean though

Thank you, I appreciate the comments. I’m going to take a photo of the workshop now to include with my final post, clean doesn’t apply now. I let it go as I was closing in on the finish line. 

I’m really glad the log is helpful, that’s been my intent all along. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Your Cheerful looks stupendous!

4 hours ago, Rustyj said:

your build log was wonderful too

Thank you both for the comments, they are really appreciated. Still one build post to go before the final photos. 

Regards,

Glenn

I have elected not to include a flag or the optional anchor buoys (though I did make one up) mostly because I want the focus to remain on the wood. So I have the stanchions and anchors left to complete my model.

Stanchions

1778629100_Post58-4658.jpg.fba220b73442c75ec594eee16069a4d0.jpg

There are four stanchions, two for each of the boarding ladders. They are a small but visible detail, one I enjoyed making and another example of what I’ve learned during my build. It was back to the lathe starting with a 3/64 square strip of boxwood. I started with the tail stock but quickly discarded it - I didn’t need it for the spars I didn’t need it now.

8138267_Post58-4661.jpg.ac4ae4588911dfa1a5cef5036c57f651.jpg

I used only files to create these. I kept it simple given I had to make four that looked alike. I couldn’t quite get my iPhone to focus on the stanchion, so the image is a bit fuzzy. On the left side you can see a few practice runs for the impact of various files. I found my #2 barrette and #2 triangular the most help in shaping after I’d rounded the stock first with a larger #0 barrette file. Both the lathe and these high quality files (I had lots of cheap ones) joined my workshop during this build, great modeling tools they are.

546524879_Post58-4664.jpg.15fe20ab1f34dd464243e74e23cfc128.jpg

I’ve improved with the lathe, it took only seven attempts to get four I liked. I didn’t get all exact matches, more like two of a kind for one side and two for the other. I started by thinking I’d make a nice tenon at the base but decided it might not be strong enough and/or be too large a hole to drill in the cap rail so I opted to pin them with cut off brass nails (I have hundreds of these). I made the little practice board for testing a clean fit to the cap rail and a visual check to be sure I had two that looked good together, with all the rigging there isn't a lot of room along the cap rail to work.

1344934723_Post58-4667.jpg.74cda77b0d503ea528d1b8b6f764115f.jpg

The stanchions are ‘metal’ so that meant back to my process (or to be more precise the process I learned from Chuck’s monograph) for getting wood to look like metal. First my Admiralty Iron Works Black paint then to Doc O’Brien’s weathering powders and my soft brush set. The set comes with twelve different powders, I’ve only used Rusty Brown throughout my build, first on the carronade barrels and then applied to every “metal” piece since including parts of the windlass and winch and actual metal pieces for the deadeye strops and stay belays.

1195217236_Post58-4657.jpg.951fad441faaec3be7e9fc0162118a64.jpg

I got the powders from MicroMart, if you’re interested in weathering your work I highly recommend this brush set I also got from there. I used 4 brushes in sequence for anything I weather. The first small one to apply (oops, just noticed the small one is missing from this photo), the flat round one to remove excess, and the third and fourth to burnish/polish it in. I don’t really see the affect until the last brush is used, feather light, to bring out the ‘metal’ luster. It is my goal for there to be no evidence of the powder remaining once I’m done brushing, other than on my hands and everything around me.

1467620210_Post58-4674.jpg.153c92a7cc2f786840ac69f48ad5c023.jpg

I drilled holes into the cap rail and added the stanchions to both sides. I’d been happier if I’d drilled these back when the cap rail was installed but it worked out, no damage. The stanchions should have a hole through the ball on top with a rope run through down to the bottom boarding step on either side. For cosmetic reasons I elected not to add either, the ship is at sea, the rope isn’t needed. On a side note I am no longer worried about mini-me’s ability to climb aboard or exit the ship, he’ll be fine now.

Anchors

1932971731_Post58-4636.jpg.2a54ee4458a243a5ca8015d717047ffe.jpg

The anchors begin with another excellent mini-kit from Syren Ship Model Company, multiple times during my build I’ve enjoyed assembling these kits from Chuck’s website. While in theory each could have been scratch built, I’m equally sure there is no way I’d want to attempt that or obtain anything like these lasered pieces of art. Chuck does throw a light curve by leaving the winch to be completely scratch built, so I did do that.

1128669274_Post58-4642.jpg.cc291c85c9cdebffe8f81bb4dc213c6e.jpg

It is also an opportunity to meld four pieces of wood into a single “iron” anchor. Here are the how they all come together before they later turn into realistic anchors.

456760151_Post58-4666.jpg.eb9bdc86ccafe8d83713654d6624bcd6.jpg

Having sanded the edges in the appropriate places, glued it all together, and filled the (very small) gaps with filler, it’s through the ‘metaling’ steps of Iron Works Black paint and Rusty Brown weathering powder. The stocks require the notch to be improved to fit the anchor, but not too improved - there should be a gap in the center third to allow the wood to breath (not that I’ll be dropping it in any water). That requires some careful work to deepen the notch but not too deep. There is some adage about measure twice cut once, I go more for the measure what you measured and then measure it again, then decide if you measured it right.

196016198_Post58-4677.jpg.1fd05a6549132fe7d489bc9565ad4cf9.jpg

After a lot of sanding to shape these stocks, including a taper from middle to end viewed from the top,, I was going to use black filament for the bolts, but decided I started with the pencil and wood filler method back with the keel, might as well finish with it. I made sure to account for where the “iron bands” would go using the plans, once again measuring my measurements. Here the holes are drilled with a #70 bit. With the bolts added I simulated the iron bands with black masking tape cut into 2mm strips. I used this black tape in multiple places on Cheerful for the first time having used black card on previous models, I’ve also tried shrink wrap plastic tubing. For me the black masking tape is a much better option to apply, and in my opinion a better look when its finished, especially after the coat of WOP I added to the stocks.

1169945758_Post58-4683.jpg.21592a27d6825ad46149df508f4b83ce.jpg

164204579_Post58-4684.jpg.79f205071eddef0a7a7c72ad4f4415d5.jpg

The pudenning took some patience to slowly wrap .008 dark brown line around the ring and add a shorter second layer on top of that in three places. More exciting was getting the completed ring to fit into the holes of the relatively fragile anchor without breaking anything.

1954006220_Post58-4700.jpg.902a7f14a67754dd3a898ca34e58c287.jpg

So while I could have bought third party metal anchors with pre-made stocks, the Syren mini-kit allowed me a near scratch build opportunity to create my own “metal” anchors. I have to say while they may look it, these weren’t simple to complete. It took me a couple of days, much longer than I would have guessed when I started with the assembly, shaping, weathering, bolting, etc.. Nonetheless it was very rewarding to have the end product, a fun last last item to build.

1390424807_Post58-4702.jpg.0dd3291befb9097872a34eab6da495f4.jpg

1361315190_Post58-4703.jpg.aef7cee61422cc28af00c376da99fbc1.jpg

I chose a bit of a different path in rigging the anchors to the ship. I had decided months ago not to cut holes into the main hatch and run hawsers, my anchors would be in a stored mode. It’s the first time I’ve done that on a model, I just liked the cleaner look for Cheerful. For that same reason I didn’t add coils to the ratlines or the optional buoys. Fortunately there is a perfectly placed cleat on the bulwark to tie off the rope. On my ship the hawsers and anchor buoy are brought up from below deck as we enter the harbor by my able crew.

1545923729_Post58-4725.jpg.96ebdcdca80a4c5f68a90c84b19a30e4.jpg

I started this build log with a photo of my then nice and neat work area. It is anything but nice and neat now, it will take me a couple of days to put it back together again. As it got close to the end I just quit putting stuff away, there are scraps of wood and rope everywhere and there are a couple of cabinets I’m afraid to open at the moment.  I’ve spent a lot of hours here this past thirteen months (excuse the distortion from using my iPhone’s wide angle setting). Today my four year old grandson saw the boat sitting there and once again asked "when can I play with it?" 

1729202037_Post58-4727.jpg.78a5b336d2bc42ca8325fd09680cabc9.jpg

1708276429_Post58-4733.jpg.757ac5d618a3a583de744da52428bfc3.jpg

With that my anchors are secured and my build is complete. I will post final photos of my HM Cheerful to close out the log once we return from an extended July 4th weekend at our lake house. A quick thank you to all my British friends for the holiday we are about to celebrate for the 245th time, with regrets to King George.

Thank you for all the comments and the likes, they are genuinely appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

1344934723_Post58-4667.jpg.74cda77b0d503ea528d1b8b6f764115f.jpg

The stanchions are ‘metal’ so that meant back to my process (or to be more precise the process I learned from Chuck’s monograph) for getting wood to look like metal. First my Admiralty Iron Works Black paint then to Doc O’Brien’s weathering powders and my soft brush set. The set comes with twelve different powders, I’ve only used Rusty Brown throughout my build, first on the carronade barrels and then applied to every “metal” piece since including parts of the windlass and winch and actual metal pieces for the deadeye strops and stay belays.

1195217236_Post58-4657.jpg.951fad441faaec3be7e9fc0162118a64.jpg

Great Build Glenn!

I would be interested to know if you needed to protect your weathering.  In my previous modeling life involving vintage rolling stock and vintage aircraft we made extensive use of washes and weathering  powders to simulate rust. We found that we needed to use a varnish such as Dulcoat to protect the weathering powder otherwise later handling would abrade the weathering.  Did you feel you need to do this?  Unfortunately these models were made for the museum and I am unable to reproduce photographs  of these models.

John

Edited by bartley

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

Beautiful ship and awesome work area.

It looks like the workshop is nice to work in as you can turn around and do cutting as such and then turn around to build.

What keeps you from tree nailing the floor? :)

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

On 7/2/2021 at 3:59 AM, bartley said:

interested to know if you needed to protect your weathering

I haven’t needed to do anything additional to the weathering, I haven’t used Dullcoat anywhere on my model. I’ve used it before, it’s a good product. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

20 minutes ago, PRS said:

as you can turn around and do cutting

I do spin about the room with my rolling chair to serve rope, bend planks or operate machinery so it is kind of handy that way😂

The floor is nailed of course, I hadn’t thought about tree nailing it though, something to consider. My wife might have to weigh in on that one 🤣😆

Regards,

Glenn

Thanks for your comments on the weathering, Glenn.  I take your point that the effect here is much more subtle than the applications that I am used to.  Even so with the cannons,  I weathered hem off the ship and I had to "handle" them later to attach them to the carriages and fit breaching ropes. Not handled with fingers of course I have som3 foam tipped jewelers tweezers.  Nevertheless I did give them a spray of Dulcoat.  I couldn't see any difference in the appearance before and after. but as you say in cases were the fitting is already installed coating is not possible but thenit wont be subjected to further manipulation.

Thanks for the explanation of your approach.

John

Edited by bartley

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

On 7/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, Boatsinc2000 said:

In just the first few pages I picked up several ideas and I'm really looking forward to reading the remainder

I’m happy to hear you’re finding the log useful. I enjoy writing it and have spent quite a lot of time doing it. 

I appreciate your taking the time to comment. 

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn. Just got home from our mini cruise and logged in to find you've finished Cheerful. What a fabulous result! Genuine museum quality. I've really enjoyed following along as you've mastered new tools and techniques, culminating in your superb work on the lathe, and like everyone else I appreciate how you've photographed and described every stage so well in your log. A real masterclass.

A well-deserved breather now, or straight on with the next project?

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Derek, very kind of you to say so being a master yourself. Many of my newly learned skill came as a result of your help, thank you.  

Next up are the final photos then recovering my ship room, no small task. We’re off to Montana later this month so probably the next project will be later this summer. I’ve neglected my photography since the pandemic, I haven’t posted to my Facebook business page in over a year, so that needs attention. And of course time with the grandkids before school starts. 

My next project is Flirt followed by Winchelsea, with Sphinx in there somewhere, that should cover the next three to four years. 

Regards,

Glenn

22 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

followed by Winchelsea

You succumbed to her then?? I'll definitely be following your build on Winnie!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I guess I have, but not before fall.  I may have to enlarge my work area😂

Regards,

Glenn

What a beautiful job!  How do you intend to display it?  Do you use cases?  I’m disappointed that it’s over, but I am looking forward to your “Winnie” build (so start it soon!), and to Mrs. Glenn’s comments regarding the room enlargement …

Great job on your narratives and photos - MSW should set up a separate category for this log and your future build logs.

garthog

PS - you need to change your Cheerful’s nameplate … from “2020” to “2021” … I had to be picky about something!

52 minutes ago, garthog said:

change your Cheerful’s nameplate

Thanks for the kind words, I doubt my Cheerful even ranks in the top 5 but i have had a good time building it. I thought about the plaque but then decided it’s when I started not when I finished…plus I can’t get it off the stand:-)

I don’t put my models in glass cases. One wall of my office all book shelves, it will go on one of those shelves and every six months or so will be taken down, lightly dusted turned to face the other direction as i do the others and put back on the shelf.  Leslie says if the Winnie meets standards we can put it on the credenza in the family room, but that’s likely 3 years away so who knows…

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

I just got caught up on your build log, Glenn, and WOW...just plain WOW!! 😳

I'm not sure there's much more praise to offer that others haven't already given, but I will say that your build log is the best and most informative log I've had the pleasure to follow on this forum. It's a treasure trove of detailed techniques with outstanding photos as well. I think I can safely shelve most of my ship modeling books now and simply refer to your log when I need advice! 

Congratulations on the completion of this stunning model and many thanks for taking the time to document your build in such detail.

22 hours ago, glbarlow said:

My next project is Flirt followed by Winchelsea, with Sphinx in there somewhere, that should cover the next three to four years. 

I'll be the first in line for the show when you start building the Flirt. I have it on the shelf and, when I start to build her, I'll just follow along in your wake!

Cheers!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, BobG said:

most informative log I've had the pleasure to follow

Thank you Bob for your kind comments, I very much appreciate them!

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn, well done! It was quite a journey with ups (most of it) and downs (frame issue).
Like everybody else, I really appreciate that you took the time to make a lot of photos and explained your process very well.

I am looking forward to your next build!

Hermann

Edited by Hsae