Tiger 1 by marktiedens - FINISHED - Dragon - 1/35 scale

This will be my first venture into plastic since my much younger days.  The kit contains parts for 3 versions & I will attempt to build the one depicted on the box cover.  Looking through the contents,it appears to be very finely detailed with little or no flash (742 parts!).   The tracks are made up of individual segments which are assembled around a form  before glueing.  It also includes some PE plus a few extras  - a couple of figures,spare ammo,jerry cans,ammo box,& some tools.  It is molded in a medium gray color which brings me to my first dilemma - the painting suggestions do not specify what shade of gray to paint the main body.  In fact,it doesn`t show the main tank body being painted at all.    Any suggestions are welcome!   I don`t expect to get it perfect,so something close would do fine.    I do have some Vallejo neutral gray & blue-gray paint.  The build will be a bit sporadic,as I`m also building a ship.   Just doing this as an occasional change of pace. 

316016072_tiger1.JPG.194c81507e7b858fa0981af6d20e0732.JPG

tiger2.JPG.bb3a7d21668416962acafad414d27ede.JPG

1277498424_tiger3.JPG.df00f8c1213f3fd1af67f6ccc7060d0a.JPG

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

This looks good  I'll  grab a chair.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Mark, FS 36118, Gunship Grey, it's not Panzer Grey but it's close and does work well...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Oh, I'm pulling up a chair also....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The Dragon armor kits are very nice. 

The color you want is German Panzer Grey. Most paint lines have it including Vallejo in the Air line. It faded as it aged, so it will depend upon how weathered you'd like it to be. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

A lot of info on Tiger kits, colors and references is here: https://www.cybermodeler.com/armor/pzkpfw6/pzkpfw6_all.shtml

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, jwvolz said:

The Dragon armor kits are very nice. 

The color you want is German Panzer Grey. Most paint lines have it including Vallejo in the Air line. It faded as it aged, so it will depend upon how weathered you'd like it to be. 

Used to have it in the Model Masters line also, until the model shops stopped selling it, Dunklegrau, RAL 7021 is another one that works just as well. And your right, depending on where it was painted and how long it was out in the elements there are almost a dozen different variations of what is called "Panzer Grey"

Quote:

Great choice of kit for your plastic build, Mark. Beautiful model kit.

As for color, I highly recommend this Mr Color modulation set for your Tiger.

https://spraygunner.com/gsi-creos-mr-color-color-modulation-set-german-gray/

The set contains four jars of varying shades of gray along with a set of instructions on how to achieve the desired gray color modulation. Along with the paint, you'll need Mr Hobby 400 Leveling Thinner to reduce the paints. 

I said all that assuming you will be airbrushing your model. If you are using a brush, it's a whole different ball game.

One more note, early in the War, Tiger Tanks came off the assembly line painted yellow, yeah, the same yellow that became desert yellow in the Africa Corp. The Grey tanks used early in russia were painted in the field... later in the war, they painted some gray out of the manufacturer, but that wasn't many.... They switched from dark grey base color to yellow brown around september 1940 in contemplation of the coming areas they knew they would be used. (Africa & the Russian Steppes)

Quote:

Thanks guys for all your suggestions:D.  I will most likely not weather it.   I also haven`t decided to use a brush or dig out my old airbrush - a Badger 350.  Don`t really have a good air source.   I suppose I could use some canned air for this little project.     Mr. Color is probably out as my local hobby shop mostly only carries Vallejo,Model Master, & Alclad.   I don`t want to mail order anything if I don`t have to - much prefer to support my local brick & mortar store.

Mark

Given those paint choices, if you are going to hand  brush use Model Masters. I love Vallejo's "Air" line for the airbrush,  but the regular stuff just doesn't brush as nicely as MM. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

7 minutes ago, jwvolz said:

Given those paint choices, if you are going to hand  brush use Model Masters. I love Vallejo's "Air" line for the airbrush,  but the regular stuff just doesn't brush as nicely as MM. 

I agree Joe, and Gunship Grey is very close to brand new Panzer Grey maybe a quarter shade on the dark side.

Quote:

Given the light grey of the plastic, your going to want to primer it with Grey if you want to brush paint it with Model Masters... You'll have an easier time covering that way....

Quote:

All great suggestions - thanks again.  I may get a couple of different paints & experiment a little.

Forgot to mention - they also carry Tamiya paint,which I really like.   They have a few misc.bottles of Floquil left,mostly RR colors.   I wish they had empty Tamiya bottles for sale - their lids really seal well.  I usually empty my Vallejo paints into spare Testors jars - not too crazy about their squeeze bottles.

The pictorial instructions are a little bit of a challenge - if I remember right the last plastic kit I built actually had written instructions & a LOT fewer parts:stunned:.

Mark

Mind if I pull up a chair for this one?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

we have you now.............now you'll never get away! :ph34r:  joking....but I will warn you....they can be addicting.   between these two mediums,  paint is a bit more critical here,  since wood absorbs the excess paint,  and plastic doesn't.   it's better to do a couple of thin coats,  rather than 1 thick coat.......but I'm sure you know that.  one thing to keep in mind,  if your going to use those air cans for airbrushing,  is to put the can in a bowl of warm water.   prolonged spraying will cause icing.  I love tanks.........but I fear the admiral will think I've gone too far off the plank,  and pull back on the reins.......I've been pretty lucky with the planes ;)   pleased to follow along :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yup,as a kid I couldn`t get enough of plastic kits.  So I suppose besides being a shipaholic,I may be in danger of becoming a plasticaholic:P.  Way back,enamel was about all that was available,but with all the great acrylics now available, painting is less of a chore.  Mistakes are much easier to correct & no more messing with bad smelling thinners or waiting a week for the paint to dry.

Mark

I know it's a matter of opinion, but I've never had any of the negative experiences others seem to have with enamels, all of my negative experiences have been with acryls and the tons of extra work needed to use them..... I mean it has gotten better over the last 30 years or so, but still, Acryls are more hassle than they are worth in my humble opinion.... 

At this point there are a lot of model builders that grew up on acryls and really have the same opinion of enamels as I the other way around..... so at this point I think it is even on the opinion department. as far as the health benefits of acryls over enamels healthwise? marketing hogwash....

Use normal care and proper techniques and neither is any worse than the other... the main issue today is mixing the two, that has caused many more problems than any other issue out there...

{stepping off soapbox, chuckle}

EG

Quote:

I'm of the same mind........never used anything but enamels 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks like my experiment with the old airbrush won`t happen.  After dusting off the cobwebs I found I can`t get any airflow through it:(.  Tried taking it apart & cleaning it,but something seems to be plugging the air passage at the trigger - the one thing I can`t get apart.  The trigger plunger assembly looks like it`s pressed into the housing.   Even tried soaking it in lacquer thinner & acetone - still no go.  The paint passages are fine.   Had to laugh - the price tag is still on the case - $19.95.   I did find my old little compressor - at least it still works.

Mark

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, put it in there and run it for a while. You'll be surprised at what may start oozing out.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I don`t have one of those cleaners,so considering what I originally paid for it no big loss.  Just don`t understand why the air passage is clogged - there was never any liquid run through it,only air.   Maybe corrosion from lack of use.    I may just go get one of those"bargain" ones - even they are better than rattle cans.

Mark

Hi Mark

I am in no way anything close to an authority on air brushes, or for that matter anything related to airbrushing, but a little over a year ago I picked up an airbrush at my local hobby store for something like $30 (+-). It has a brick like air pump that is very quiet that seems to turn on and off at about 25-30 PSI. It has a little air bleed knob that is supposed to regulate air pressure but I have my doubts if it really works. I tend to run it at full pressure whenever I use it.  So far it has been able to do everything my limited skill level has demanded of it. I think the same thing is available on line for $40-$50. 

But as you already have a pump that you feel is adequate for your needs and I assume a hose, you could possibly get one of these and give it a try as well:

https://tcpglobal.com/collections/airbrushes-gravity-feed-master-airbrush/products/mas-g222-set

Mine does not have the interchangeable tips but I can see where that might be a useful feature if taken care of when switching. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Your local hobby store is OPEN? You lucky stiff.

I have two local stores, three if you count Hobby Town from as close as two blocks away and as far as six or seven miles. MANY more if I want to drive further. NOT ONE is open right now!:( Probably a good thing as I tend to buy more than what I need when I do go in anyway.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

A Tiger.

Need Info, shoot ;)

IMG_20200522_192715.thumb.jpg.8c159f31f1431e2e6e946cd59168d134.jpg

The "Bible" for every Tiger crew (In German)

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/Merkblatt/Die_Tigerfiebel_Handbuch_des_deutschen_Tiger_Panzers_.pdf

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 minutes ago, marktiedens said:

Thanks for that Lou - I am headed out to my local hobby shop shortly to pick up a few things & will see what they have.

Mark

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Your local hobby store is OPEN? You lucky stiff.

I have two local stores, three if you count Hobby Town from as close as two blocks away and as far as six or seven miles. MANY more if I want to drive further. NOT ONE is open right now!:( Probably a good thing as I tend to buy more than what I need when I do go in anyway.

Even without the current situation I would have at least 2 or 3 hours of driving to get to a proper model/hobby shop that stocks more than railway or basic materials 😟

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

52 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Even without the current situation I would have at least 2 or 3 hours of driving to get to a proper model/hobby shop that stocks more than railway or basic materials 😟

The one that is a couple of blocks away is just a small shop and is almost all RC cars now days. The other one across town is part of the Hobby Town USA chain. It has more variety and a larger stock base but seems to still cater to the RC car base, At least from the behind the counter assistance aspect of the store. In the same area is a Hobby Lobby that also has a small modeling section. Otherwise I have to go down into the Seattle area and when stores are open in normal times that is a no fun trip at any time of the day. Especially if you don't know if they will have what you want when you get there! It may only be 25 or 30 miles to several stores but it still takes several hours to do the round trip even at mid day outside of commute hours!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey