Tiger 1 by marktiedens - FINISHED - Dragon - 1/35 scale

Just now, lmagna said:

The one that is a couple of blocks away is just a small shop and is almost all RC cars now days. 

I was at the local Hobby Town this week and noticed a new sign in the window..."no credit required, 90 day financing available". 😅

Those RC cars are so expensive, you have to finance them similar to a 1:1 car.

15 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The one that is a couple of blocks away is just a small shop and is almost all RC cars now days. The other one across town is part of the Hobby Town USA chain. It has more variety and a larger stock base but seems to still cater to the RC car base, At least from the behind the counter assistance aspect of the store. In the same area is a Hobby Lobby that also has a small modeling section. Otherwise I have to go down into the Seattle area and when stores are open in normal times that is a no fun trip at any time of the day. Especially if you don't know if they will have what you want when you get there! It may only be 25 or 30 miles to several stores but it still takes several hours to do the round trip even at mid day outside of commute hours!:(

Yeah, for me coming from the other direction it's a 45 minute trip to Renton for the only model shop in the South Puget Sound area.... Which is closed for the duration btw..... We of course have the Hobby Lobby in Lakewood also, which is cfd as well... there is nothing down here open... 

Someone has an open Model Shop? THAT LUCKY DOG!!!!! {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Yep - almost all the stores are open here.  I have a Hobby Town about 10 minutes from my house,but they are really expensive.  I can drive across town to a place called Hobby Haven & get the same stuff about 30% cheaper.  We have a Hobby Lobby here too,so I have a lot of choices:D.   I almost never go to the Hobby Town unless I need a small item - they are about 90% RC stuff.     Our barber shops opened last week,so I was FINALLY able to get a haircut yesterday.  Many stores are limited to 50% capacity plus a few other guidelines,but at least they are open.  Restaurants are also limited to 50% capacity.  There has been no spike in virus cases & the percentage of positives is actually declining.  A few stores require wearing a mask,but most don`t.   I expect that nursing homes & care facilities will remain closed to visitors for quite some time,though.  My mother is in one of those,so I haven`t seen her since early March:(.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I sincerely hope your mother is doing fine......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Just backing up what Ken said.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the thoughts  guys.  So far,so good.  She`s 97,so it wouldn`t take much to do her in.   I can speak to her on a phone from a little booth at one end of the building,but just not the same as in person.   She has severe memory problems & dementia,so probably doesn`t understand what`s going on.  They had one virus case in the building,but it was quickly isolated - I don`t know if it was a resident or one of the staff.

Anyway, I went back to the hobby shop to get some more paint - they were out of the panzer gray.    So,I found the gunship grey,but they only had it in enamel.  Ended up getting something called dark grey (Vallejo).   Got it home & tried it - much too dark,almost black.  I may try adding some white to lighten it up a bit,but I will go over to Hobby Town & see what they have first.

Mark

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

Your local hobby store is OPEN? You lucky stiff.

I have two local stores, three if you count Hobby Town from as close as two blocks away and as far as six or seven miles. MANY more if I want to drive further. NOT ONE is open right now!:( Probably a good thing as I tend to buy more than what I need when I do go in anyway.

We have a local mom & pop hobby shop that's stayed open. They have a few wooden ship kits, lots of plastic kits, railroad and RC plus paints, tools, etc.  Reduced hours, limited amount of folks allowed inside.  The other one is Hobby Lobby which I won't set foot in and it's been closed for the virus.  I think it still is.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Thanks for the thoughts  guys.  So far,so good.  She`s 97,so it wouldn`t take much to do her in.   I can speak to her on a phone from a little booth at one end of the building,but just not the same as in person.   She has severe memory problems & dementia,so probably doesn`t understand what`s going on.  They had one virus case in the building,but it was quickly isolated - I don`t know if it was a resident or one of the staff.

Mark

That's some good news about your mom, Mark.  Too many of those homes seemed to let it get out of control too fast. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

28 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That's some good news about your mom, Mark.  Too many of those homes seemed to let it get out of control too fast. 

Yes,indeed - you are so right.   Thanks for your thoughts.     

Mark

Mark, I really like the Vallejo paints - seem to shoot well and level nice with the Tamiya XF-20 thinner, wow I just looked at your initial pics of your kit, metal barrel, brass rounds lots of PE....  very nice kit!
I have the Takom King Tiger and it’s molded nice and seems like a great kit but I’m not a fan of the way they did the rounds - molded in the stowage racks.... gonna be hard to paint.... still trying to decide how to depict the full interior...  I’m getting excited, let’s see some more pics!! 😃

2 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Yes,indeed - you are so right.   Thanks for your thoughts.     

Mark

The Tiger is nice Brother, Mom is special.... :-)

Quote:

Just now, marktiedens said:

Lou - the actual barrel is plastic.  The metal part goes inside the barrel & has a spring on the end so the barrel can actually "recoil" if you push on the end!   

Mark

I think this is one of the nicest kits Dragon has ever produced. You probably won't see many others done like this, ever. 

I bought the Dragon German 88 mm Flak Gun a few years ago and it came with all the turned metal extras, a very complex kit. I started building it and had some fit issues that annoyed me badly, I put everything back in the box until my mental attitude toward finishing it improved and I could work through the problems. Still need to finish that one.

Went over to Hobby Town & found some panzer grey - seems a little dark,but I would assume it`s correct.   By the way,the clerk at the store told me the Testors paint line is going away - anybody else heard that?

paint.JPG.8535bf2bb08b28755a9e0856ad16d211.JPG

Here`s a couple if pics to get started.   They actually provide the suspension torsion bars.  They can`t be seen once the tank body is closed up,though.

1447474639_tank1.JPG.9fece4a1e2d7df1332a0b40c337efd17.JPG

2140788033_tank2.JPG.38c7f49d68011ecec0c49c0a28d816fd.JPG

Mark

Mark, I heard that, too. Guess their parent company is altering the marketplace for us modelers. Time to try new brands.

I see you picked up a bottle of Mission Models paint, an acrylic paint. I watched an hour long video on it's usage. It was all airbrushed, although the first demo was unthinned. I think it can be brush painted; I ordered some to try out. They have a thinner (mostly alcohol per the video maker), which is really an retarder, shown in the second demo. And something called a polyurethane mix for increased durability. Here's 1 review: https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/mission-models-acrylic-paints

Here's the Youtube: http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&artid=7401

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, marktiedens said:

Went over to Hobby Town & found some panzer grey - seems a little dark,but I would assume it`s correct.   By the way,the clerk at the store told me the Testors paint line is going away - anybody else heard that?

Mark

Yeah Rustoleum is paring down all of Testors across the board, they aren't eliminating Testors altogether, just the paintlines... MM is going as is the Acryls from what I've heard as well as the tool and supplies lines....

That is what happens when bookkeepers get ahold of a company that produces what people want.... They haven't really said what their plans are for the brand itself, but my understanding is that except for car modeling, the rest is going away...

I'm an enamel guy, and I've been buying what I can't get in MM from True North paints, a fairly new line that in my opinion is better than MM and is expanding..... For all you WWII US Navy modelers out there they are the only ones that carry a complete line of wartime Navy colors in Enamel. Want to do measure 12, they got the colors, Measure 21 Bingo, Measure 32D dazzle pattern? Bingo...

They are also doing the WWII euro aircraft colors and have a complete line of Standard FS number colors...  That's where I'm going in the future...

I have no connection to True North Paints nor any incentives or financial stake in their company, The just make great paint, Modelers making paint for Modelers.... and they are the official paint of Bluejacket Shipcrafters if you want a real reference...

EG

Quote:

Yes, as we run out of MM stock, we are switching over to True North. There are several reasons for this. First, of course is that it is good enamel paint. Second, they make it here in Maine, less than an hour away. Third, they are quick to remedy any problems that arise. Fourth, they are willing to make a new color just for us, and have done so 4 or 5 times. Colors like Depot Buff and Jade Green for example. Fifth, they are modelers themselves, and understand us.

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress - all the track wheels are painted & attached (all 48 of them).  Quite a pain to paint - they all have a black ring around them ,which I assume are "tires" - they actually say "continental" on them,which I had to use a magnifier to read.  Had to keep re-painting some of them because I kept smudging them or slipping with the brush.  Never have been much good at painting:).

9315905_Chassis1.JPG.85005537e80d8f264b8f48f778017b99.JPG

980832808_chassis2.JPG.e3e7cf0c7b2b0acc10416c5a8413cf38.JPG

Mark

You must be an expert now at painting road wheel tires.... {chuckle} I still have friends that argue with me when I tell them there are 24 wheels/tires per side on a Tiger I....

Good Job, getting them to look right can be a task.... these look right....

Well done Mark....

Quote:

Thanks - yep,more than ready to move on.   I must say that Mission paint is pretty good - 2 or 3 coats with no brush marks.  Sorry about the not so clear pics - I just have a point & shoot camera. It only has 2 settings - really close up or far away.  I really need to get one of those I-phones - they seem to take much better pics than my camera.  My last post is completion of step 4 - now I am wondering if I should assemble the tracks now,or wait until step 18 as the instructions show.  Just a little concerned about snapping a wheel or two off while adding all the  little details to the tank body.

Mark

I always build the entire chassis first and then install the wheels and tracks. Afther that the smaller parts are applied.

An early Tiger I model indeed has many wheels. Complicated, but it gave a very smooth ride for such a heavy tank

Making and installing wheels scale  1/1

IMG_20200608_081725.thumb.jpg.24ba339a2160e76b8ab8ce3e182b18f0.jpgIMG_20200608_081710.thumb.jpg.d34f512018921a9c91e78de9150ef82c.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi - got the rear panel installed along with all the peripheral items (exhaust,jack,etc.).  Also got the cooling fans & radiators installed.  This kit has a LOT of tiny parts - the jack alone has 9 parts!

1272729037_tankrear1.JPG.1e1bbf0799441e01dc2c005acd8008d3.JPG

810698993_tankrear2.JPG.cf6cc16a46e2535389333889e6c6e8be.JPG

Mark

Hi again - one track assembled & installed.  They are quite fiddly - they were glued together in short sections,painted steel,& given a wash to tone them down.  I counted 99 separate pieces for this track:stunned:.  It is not this bright looking in person - I have a very bright light I use for pictures.

115714139_track1.JPG.986c356a4e3a8b5a1531938aa9d577b0.JPG

1738834820_track2.JPG.751cd4073cda5641bc6c318a07b39790.JPG

429662416_track3.JPG.90dbb4b07268709cf23c4bdca770c019.JPG

Mark

Nice work 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

We are our own worse critics, Mark.   What's been done so far looks good and since we don't know where to look, we see no flaws.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: