Battle of Waterloo Attack on La Haye Sainte Farm 1/56 28mm

Looking more and more like French villa, OC.  As for the "dip" at the join...  the ground wouldn't have perfectly flat anyway.  But, maybe some standing water from the rains would look even better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

37 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Looking more and more like French villa, OC.  As for the "dip" at the join...  the ground wouldn't have perfectly flat anyway.  But, maybe some standing water from the rains would look even better.

Thank you kindly  Mark,   I am deffo going to make use of my  "Magic  Water  gel"  I love the stuff   and guess after I have  brushed a few layers of my wash over it  (it tends to settle in gaps etc)   it will start to come together.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Evening/morning all,  I had the day off  from building  on my dio  - but it hasn't stopped the old grey matter from  turning  round in my head  - thinking ahead  for latter  today  (its 3 am here)   when I lat down some dark earth washes using my  pre mixed  bottle  - would I be better off  spraying it over the whole floor surface of my dio's courtyard  or  brushing it  - yes the airbrush would give a more even flow  but  would that strictly look right  ground surfaces  especailly after heavy rain are never even or consistant.

What do you think my friends???

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good question OC.   If it were all grass, then pretty much the same color though shading on the side the sun doesn't shine on.  As for bare dirt...  it's a mix.  Maybe airbrush the base brown and dry brush highlights and low lights to give it a less than smooth appearance?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you  kindly Mark  - my understanding is  the ground inside  the  farrm complex  was  stones/cobbles  with a kind of cemented  loose gravel  spread ontop,     my  base shows the  stones/cobbles in areas where the  top  mix has worn away, I know  the over all  appearnece would have been  very random  and and routh   - so  perhaps my airbrush  would not be the best  tool.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think the airbrush would work for the base coat but then there's a lot of blending and dry brushing to give it the look you want.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

7 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think the airbrush would work for the base coat but then there's a lot of blending and dry brushing to give it the look you want.  

Thank you  Mark, will give it a go  - can always  fall back on my hairy friends   to touch up the  more delicate areas.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi O.C.

I was very impressed by your patch of grass and it got me thinking - wouldn't there be weeds growing up here and there at the bases of walls and cracks in the pavement?

Or am I just suggesting yet MORE work for you to do (not unlike certain people who shall remain nameless suggesting I carve all eight crew members for my nef :P).

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

12 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi O.C.

I was very impressed by your patch of grass and it got me thinking - wouldn't there be weeds growing up here and there at the bases of walls and cracks in the pavement?

Or am I just suggesting yet MORE work for you to do (not unlike certain people who shall remain nameless suggesting I carve all eight crew members for my nef :P).

Steven

I see where you are coming from  - and meet you,   My brain box is searching many questions   and  ideas  - but I will stop short of  instaling  a  bar or  refereshments  stand  - I  know who would raid it  ......Come on  own up  lol.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Having spent most of my life in or near rural America, my observation is that working farms are messy places- I suppose that when the day’s work is done the farmer does not have time or energy for much landscaping.  Vacation visits to Great Britain confirm that working  farmers there are not much neater.

Another item seen at farms that muck out their barns regularly is a pile of manure waiting to be spread on the fields.  

Maybe Belgian farmers are different.  I don’t know as I haven’t been there.

Roger

23 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Another item seen at farms that muck out their barns regularly is a pile of manure waiting to be spread on the fields.  

I think most farms of the period had a muck pile in the farmyard, although at the time of the day OC is setting this it would have been trampled to a slurry across the yard🙃.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Just now, Roger Pellett said:

Roger

Just now, Edwardkenway said:

I think most farms of the period had a muck pile in the farmyard.

This old manure mucker, yours truly, was never more grateful as when the farm acquired our first Bobcat skid loader.

Yes, I imagine it was a tad quicker and cleaner than a fork and barrow!

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Spent a good bit of my youth working a Vermont dairy milking barn....  No hip waders or gas mask either..... Not a job for the faint of heart.... AND you learn the difference between a shovel and a spade real quick....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hey OC, you gonna cut the grooves between the cobbles? {chuckle} (they were there)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, Egilman said:

Hey OC, you gonna cut the grooves between the cobbles? {chuckle} (they were there)

Don't think I am that brave  lol.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    Right a positive step forward  "Agood one I hope"   I have applied several  dirty washes over the whole floor area, then when dry  I used my dry brushing  dust  jobby  in several  runs over to blend in the washes  - left it looking tatty and worn as it would have been.

I then decided to add a few more figures   - a couple more 2nd KGL  around the pond  - Major Baring instructing his troops to charge through the doors to chase the French,   and Captain Graeme  ordering the  2nd and 5th line  troops through the  doors by the road.

OC.

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all,    Right a positive step forward  "Agood one I hope"   I have applied several  dirty washes over the whole floor area, then when dry  I used my dry brushing  dust  jobby  in several  runs over to blend in the washes  - left it looking tatty and worn as it would have been.

I then decided to add a few more figures   - a couple more 2nd KGL  around the pond  - Major Baring instructing his troops to charge through the doors to chase the French,   and Captain Graeme  ordering the  2nd and 5th line  troops through the  doors by the road.

OC.

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

The courtyard now looks very realistic; worn and dirty. Excellent job. A few tufts of weeds here and there, the corners and edge of the duck pond might be in order to break up the rigid stonework.

I saw an engraving on line of La Haye Sainte supposedly done just after the battle. It showed a tree in the courtyard but it also didn't show an trace of the loopholes in the walls so it may be suspect. 

Its looking great

Alan

3 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The courtyard now looks very realistic; worn and dirty. Excellent job. A few tufts of weeds here and there, the corners and edge of the duck pond might be in order to break up the rigid stonework.

I saw an engraving on line of La Haye Sainte supposedly done just after the battle. It showed a tree in the courtyard but it also didn't show an trace of the loopholes in the walls so it may be suspect. 

Its looking great

Alan

Thank you kindly Alan,   yep I have searched the net for about a year for reliable  (inside the courtyard)  pics  from the time but a lot has to be guess work  - there is a lot of modifications to the  buildings  - the roofs where  re tiled in different tiles  after the battle  - and the tree  I would guess was grown after also  - same with the farmhouse  - this had new doors and windows  - same to the stables  as I assume  - they stopped being used for horses in recent times.

The plan is  that a lot of the floor area will be filled with my figures  of both the 2nd KGL  and 5th  Line  KGL  - so it will look busy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Would have said there was another update folks  - I had intended,    but I have had the day from hell   - seriously want to do a bit more though to keep me sane.

Hopefully  more pics later when I do a bit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Some pics folks  - just figures.

OC.

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

That first pic was quite convincing, OC. Keep them coming, as you can.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 minutes ago, Canute said:

That first pic was quite convincing, OC. Keep them coming, as you can.

Thank you Ken   - I have a nother batch of about 40 more 2nd KGL  to finish making/painting   - then more 5th KGL.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Agreed; the attention to detail on the faces is really paying off 

Alan

Thank You Alan, getting the faces right  first is the key I think.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looks great OC! Colorful uniforms and life-like

Thanks Craig  - much appreciated mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Gonna need a shoehorn to get all of them into the farm.  😄 looks very good, mate.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Really looking the business now OC!

Current builds;

Completed: