The stand looks good as is. Would be more stable if the bottom members of your stand were wider, you are going to have spars on the masts so width of the bottom of the stand could be just a bit shorter than the spars. You have all that space below the rig to work with, so use it to stabilize your Cutty Sark. Another option, leave the stand as designed and attach it to a wide dense and finished board with a plaque. Admire your ability to be innovative and persistent, you have a world wide bunch of people waiting for your progress posts.

Thank you for your notes, Harvey and Jud.

Actually, I intend to temporary fix stand on temporary working panel min 70-80 cm long  and  min 20-30 cm wide , and after all done, to use mechanical screws embedded on way I show on picture to fix stand on final board - floor of future glass cage. I was thinking a lot about lever forces which appears manipulating with distant tops of spars yards and masts. Also I am considering solution to make stand wider a bit on down side. Already told story about war between elegance and stability

During thinking process, I am playing with carving knifes I have got for some birthday from kids ( Shame on me, I opened it up only yesterday  :huh: )

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Anybody can see here "Star of India"

post-4738-0-45489400-1450727391_thumb.jpg

I do not

One more night of playing until give up

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Nenad

Never give up! Perserverance will bring multiple rewards!

I wish you, Hothead, Princess and your mum in law, a great Christmas and New Year!

Cheers

Patrick

Thank you dear friend. Office job overhelmed me, and your post just remind me how am I careless ...

TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FOLLOWERS ON MSW

ALL THE BEST, AND TAKE A GOOD TIME FOR HOLIDAYS !!!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad:  Just taking a minute to give you and your family my best wishes over the Holiday Season. Take care my friend!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Our best wishes to you and your family Nenad.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

All the very best for Christmas and the New Year, Nenad.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Best of wishes for the holidays and new year, Nenad.     Office work can be overwhelming and block thoughts on other things.   I'm not sure what you were asking about the "Star of India"...  The carving looked good, I'm not sure what you meant though. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Best of wishes for the holidays and new year, Nenad.     Office work can be overwhelming and block thoughts on other things.   I'm not sure what you were asking about the "Star of India"...  The carving looked good, I'm not sure what you meant though. 

Thank you Mark.

If you enlarge my post #2744 you can see what am I trying to do/exercise playing with my tools

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hi Nenad,

Merry Christmas!

I see that you are looking at how to mount your model.  I'm glad that you are going with a cradle.  One way to deal with the tipping over issue is to mount the cradle to a wider/heavier base.  I mounted the middle cradle of my ship from below the base with recessing the screws.  I was also looking at ways of screwing the hull into cradle.  But with Balsa for the planking I don't think that screws would structurally hold the ship to the cradle.  Is the keel a hard wood?  if might want to have three support positions, spaced to prevent hogging.  Don't know if it would be an issue or not, but those are the things that keep me up at night.

All the best to you and your family,

marc

Thank you Mark.

If you enlarge my post #2744 you can see what am I trying to do/exercise playing with my tools

Now I see it...post-76-0-42724600-1451011421.gif   Maybe do in inlay in the center using wood strips for the star?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

all the best to you and your family as well Nenad.   too bad you can't use the pedestals....folks who plan on using them,  tend to make provision for them when they lay the keel.   the cradle is your logical choice.   putting screws in the model itself?.......I've never had to do it.  as others have said,  if the cradles are deep enough and contoured to the hull,  there is little chance of the model pitching and will give you better support.   they do make a stick on felt,  as a cushion for the model in the cradle....or just get some thick soft material and glue it on the cradle with rubber cement of sorts.   if the inlay your trying to do seems too daunting,  perhaps a raised relief may work.   doesn't really need to be the star of India.......you could make a pair of anchors {one for each end} and add chain decoration.....or weathered rope.   there are many possibilities.

you'll figure it out my friend.......you've made it this far in fine shape  :)   I hope your Christmas was good......and the new years rings in the continuation of this fine build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

...   I hope your Christmas was good......and the new years rings in the continuation of this fine build.

Thanks for nice words Denis. Little correction: In Serbia is Orthodox Church, so Christmas will be celebrated at January 7th. To me it is not important considering I am an "orthodox atheist". All that counts are your nice words and good wishes you send over post

"Little" overloaded with office stuff, 2-3 days remain until New Year comes, then Christmas time, and after that so called "Serbian New Year" at January 13th ( in my opinion - Orthodox newfangled concoctions after the abolition of communism in Serbia) . Point is : even you want to work, you do not have anybody to work with from December 31 until January 14th. Courts are closed, companies run slowly with people on vacation, people ( clients) are out of city ... So, forced winter vacation, as any other winter, and I hope to go forward with standing for Her. 

Little rest at age of 57  comes well. Particularly after hard two weeks with app 10-12 working hours with 50-100 km drive every day

Both kids are at home, and we will spend some nice time together

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

well thanks for understanding :)   glad to know that I haven't missed it.  have a great time during your time off.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Testing time

Just for test purpose, to see how it acts when some force attacks, I made small simulation of kell and ribs and replied all layers of hull construction I have made: balsa strips glued with white glue, putty, layer of glue, veneer, putty, layer of acrylic, foil glued witg white glue, couple layers of mat varnish over

post-4738-0-35635400-1451507454_thumb.jpg

Then I drill a hole for screw, and put it inside

post-4738-0-05034900-1451507737_thumb.jpg

As a final, I hanged my alvil on screw ... And it holds !!! Nothing moves, nothing cracked

post-4738-0-17884300-1451507910_thumb.jpg

One of next days I'll repeat this experiment in scale, simulating real distance between ribs, to be more real

If it can hold without breaking, stand with four conecting screw points I imagined to make could do it's job, and I can go on forward

Hmmmm

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Thanks for nice words Denis. Little correction: In Serbia is Orthodox Church, so Christmas will be celebrated at January 7th. To me it is not important considering I am an "orthodox atheist". All that counts are your nice words and good wishes you send over post

"Little" overloaded with office stuff, 2-3 days remain until New Year comes, then Christmas time, and after that so called "Serbian New Year" at January 13th ( in my opinion - Orthodox newfangled concoctions after the abolition of communism in Serbia) . Point is : even you want to work, you do not have anybody to work with from December 31 until January 14th. Courts are closed, companies run slowly with people on vacation, people ( clients) are out of city ... So, forced winter vacation, as any other winter, and I hope to go forward with standing for Her. 

Little rest at age of 57  comes well. Particularly after hard two weeks with app 10-12 working hours with 50-100 km drive every day

Both kids are at home, and we will spend some nice time together

I know how all this is, we have engineering partnership in Serbia.  They are at work now while I am off and then I get back to work, they go off for a two week holiday.  Kinda hard to get anything done and the bosses want it all done by end of January.  Whew! makes for really long days at the end of the month.

But, I am glad to see you get time with the kids, and much needed relaxing time with the Cutty Sark.  Take care, Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

That is an excellent test.  And it proved what you thought it would do.  Cool.  If it had failed it would still be cool because it would told you to try something else.  I'm smiling here, Nenad.  Her Majesty is about to get her throne.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

one thing to consider.......your going to put anchors in the hull for the screws.....a pretty good idea.  but remember that the outer lip of the anchor will protrude on the hull surface.   adding them after you drill the holes might cause them to go out of alignment......adding thickness between the hull and stand contact.   if you could find small metal ones might be good.......they won't have much of an outer lip.   {picture #2}.    better yet....if they have to be used { all that you have on hand},  perhaps you could sand them down so the lip is not so prominent.

have a great 'first night'  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is an excellent test.  And it proved what you thought it would do.  Cool.  If it had failed it would still be cool because it would told you to try something else.  I'm smiling here, Nenad.  Her Majesty is about to get her throne.

Thanks for supporting  words, Mark. I think I am near ...

one thing to consider.......your going to put anchors in the hull for the screws.....a pretty good idea.  but remember that the outer lip of the anchor will protrude on the hull surface.   adding them after you drill the holes might cause them to go out of alignment......adding thickness between the hull and stand contact.   if you could find small metal ones might be good.......they won't have much of an outer lip.   {picture #2}.    better yet....if they have to be used { all that you have on hand},  perhaps you could sand them down so the lip is not so prominent.

have a great 'first night'   ;)

Hello Denis. That "anchor" was a first I grab from shelf, just for testing purpose. If I decide to this solution, "anchors" will be as small as I can find. Also thinking to fulfill space under with something to harden whole thing

No worry about protrude on surface ... this was just fast testing, and I have enough experience making a bunch of furniture and another things in home, with or without "anchors" of all kind and size

"First night" spent with kids talking, looking at some movie ... nobody was in mood to be cheerful, only 6 months passed, and this is first New Year without Her, so .... Anyway, nice time with kids, with full hearth of happiness seeing how good and mature people with the correct world view they become ... very proud Papa I am

Let the force be with all of us    

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Let's all drink to a Happier New Year, Nenad !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

You should be a proud papa from what you've been telling us.  May the spice flow and the force be with you.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

We here at the Flying Dutchmen home fully understand what you are going through - experience talks.  We too had a very nice visit with our daughter Marianne and Troy our grandson.  I could now show my grandson his great grandfather's submarine, the O19.

Family is very important and am glad that your children have grown up into mature and responsible adults.

Have a very good and healthy 2016 from one proud papa to another proud papa. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A bit more testing with "old quality wood"

post-4738-0-49349200-1451766370_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-30686500-1451766427_thumb.jpg

Kiddin'

Laminated plywood with veneer 1mm + mahogany veneer 0,5mm, added acrylic playing to weather it and imitate old laquer. Just playing

Much much stronger than I expected

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I like this also.. There is some great thinking outside the reality going on, Nenad. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

After a few weeks of thinking and rethinking, it seems that things sit in place, and final idea shaped in my mind. Tests are not still finished, but tests are important to hull part, so, I can proceed with stand.

Main goal - to be safe and above all - nice and elegant

On a way to the stand

post-4738-0-43792300-1451939478_thumb.jpg

Rough construction almost done. I decided to form a kind of box to hide screws which will fasten stand to final plate, at the same time to be easy to change temporary working plate with final. Idea is to make removable "roof" of box, coated and finished as roofs on cabins were done.

Here are photos to got idea what I am trying to do

post-4738-0-13890900-1451939512_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-44172400-1451939542_thumb.jpg

All corners of box and platform will be rounded, all fine sanded, with veneer coverage on some places. Also central horizontal rounded molding will be added to fasten vertical sides, and some my straightening tricks with toothpicks will be applied to whole construction, later hidden under veneer

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Sounds like a good solid plan, and I'm sure you will do a great job Nenad.

Wishes for a much happier New Year my friend.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Goin' forward

post-4738-0-84123200-1452026456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: