what is the best hand plank crimper

Hello there 

besides using steam or hot water to use with them. can anyone recommend a good hand plank crimper and not the flimsy plastic   kind  that comes  in model space free tools set they break easy, reason I'm asking is I am having a hard time making a tight turn on the plank for the stern area especially the first plank,  I have a plank iron but the  part that gets hot is not narrow enough and the crimpers  beak when applying  pressure on the plank   thank you 

Ronald 

I've had a hand crimper and tossed it as it damaged the wood too much.    For heating, I have two old curling irons, one is 1/2" dia.  and the other is 1-1/4" dia.  They don't get hot enough to burn the wood. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Save your money and your sanity. "Plank crimpers" are next to useless. 

Go to the Articles Database, https://thenrg.org/resource/articles, and read everything in there on planking. Then go to YouTube and watch Chuck Passaro's plank-bending instructional videos.

Then you're good to go.

Perhaps I don't know how to properly use one but I've destroyed/wasted/threw in the garbage some

very good wood. I've seen videos where individuals make using one look easy...but not for me...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I bought a set of plastic ones from model expo awhile back and I agree with bob, they are pretty much useless. 69539199-0DFC-45E6-8026-AA5191D05966.thumb.jpeg.8bcfb271206d1531dfe2527d079b00d5.jpeg

This is the set i bought, I guess they work a little bit but these leave a mark on both sides of the plank that are difficult to hide once the plank is on. There are plenty of excellent YouTube videos online! I usually use some steam but I have noticed that if you use some steam and bend it, then let it dry and then use steam and bend it again and again Eventually you will get very tight corners. It’s time consuming but works for me. Good luck!

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

ok thanks 

I have to get a new one  now as I ,mention in my last post it  had a crack in  so I tried to glue it when the crack was 

but somehow glue got in the pivot area  and it would  not close 

7 minutes ago, James H said:

Plastic plank crimpers do have their place and I still use them from time to time.

I have Amati's plank nipper and always found it very useful. Of course, the electric ones are very nice, but the nipper is a simple tool that does its job as long as the internal nip surface isn't to be seen.

Hmm Ill take a look at those, I’ve been searching for a more efficient method! Thanks

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

34 minutes ago, James H said:

Plastic plank crimpers do have their place and I still use them from time to time.

I have Amati's plank nipper and always found it very useful. Of course, the electric ones are very nice, but the nipper is a simple tool that does its job as long as the internal nip surface isn't to be seen.

I too have the Amati crimper and use it occasionally, but only when the crimped side is not visible. I also use it gently and put in numerous close-spaced shallow crimps rather than trying to get the curve I want with only a few. Some woods are not suitable and tend to splinter.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

1 hour ago, Richard44 said:

I too have the Amati crimper and use it occasionally, but only when the crimped side is not visible. I also use it gently and put in numerous close-spaced shallow crimps rather than trying to get the curve I want with only a few. Some woods are not suitable and tend to splinter.

Cheers

I think thats the key! You have to use lots of closely spaced crimps rather than less crimps further apart. Doing so creates a tighter, cleaner bend. 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

Ok everyone My Amati crimper arrived yesterday but  before I  try to use the new ones  would like to know which side of the blade is the best  even thought I think the chisel side makes a better crimp then the blunt side but  I was told by someone from another site to us the blunt side, I tried the blunt side as told but I can't see how the blunt side is any better, because before my other crimpers broke I was using the blunt side and found it didn't crimp that great and  the planks were soaked in hot water before using, I will try it again today, also I do not have any source for steaming the planks all I can do is put the planks in hit water for 12 hours as recommended by the same person  from the same site as mentioned earlier in fact he recommends using the iron first then the crimpers. so I'm open to any suggestions that might help me make tight turns using either or both the iron and  crimper or just the iron thank you 

Ronald 

Try this...  Find something that has the approximate curvature you are trying to achieve.  Pots are very good for this.  Assume you are going to have to trim the end of the plank so cut your plank longer than necessary.  Moisten (do not soak) the plank and clamp it to the rim of the pot.  Hold the free end of the plank in one hand and use a hair dryer on high heat to blow hot air onto the plank.  Warm the entire plank and then concentrate on the area you want to bend.  Gently bend the plank around the pot until you get the curve you need.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

55 minutes ago, ronald305 said:

thanks Toni 

but what if I need a tighter turn  such as the first plank around the stern  like the  photo in the cycle 

Ronald 

96111351_thumbnailstage33part7.jpg.ad844f7fdea80f2ab758f0bd5d9621e3.jpg

Wow that is a tight turn. To add to @tlevine I don’t see why something smaller than a pot could be used, like a pen or a marker. It will probably take a few tries to get there. To answer your other question about the crimpers; I think (I could be totally wrong) the blunt side is to be used on the side that will be visible on the model. The other side should have a raised surface that pushes the wood in that spot towards the blunt side, this is what causes it to bend. I once saw a YouTube video about a guy who made a steam tank for bending planks using a piece of PVC and some hot water. I’ll try to find it if I can! Good luck!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

it’s not the same video I was talking about but here is a guy that uses his microwave to steam bend! I personally haven’t tried this but it might work for your situation! If you try it let me know how it goes!

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

maybe  a small piece of pipe like 3/8 maybe smalle,r I have been using the middle part of my soldering iron 

to make the bend even after it has been soaking for a while but it keeps on splitting I'm doing something wrong for the plank to split like that 

Ronald 

46 minutes ago, ronald305 said:

the other side of the crimper blade is a wedge shape edge  like a blade sort of and the opposite side of the crimper  is flat 

Ya so the flat side lays against the side of the plank that will be seen and the wedge on the other side. When you apply pressure the wedge is going to leave an indent so it’s important not to be seen or you have to try and fix it. 

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

If I recall from that video he used the PVC pipe to fill with water that was boiling and figured out how to use the steam that comes out to bend the planks. I have seen videos of people using a similar process at full scale. I’m sure you could figure out how to recreate one!

Current Builds:

Future Builds:

Completed Builds:

Shelved Builds:

Ronald,  Regarding the TIGHT turn on the plank in your last photo, David Antscherl addresses this in detail in Volume II of The Fully Framed Model.  He also goes into detail of bending using the Kammerlander method of using a heating iron against wetted wood while it is held in the place where it needs to be bent to shape in Volume I.  Specifically regarding that crazy tight turn area, it is common to have a triangular gap between the last "straight" strake and the curved strake.  This would be filled with a field fitted piece of wood.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

But DA talks about using a thicker piece of wood and carving it to the correct shape.  This is what I typically do.  With a little bit of patience and the correct mandrel, you can bend any stripwood into a right angle.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.