Cazador Jabeque / Xebec by Katsumoto - FINISHED -OcCre - 1:60

congratulations on this very nice model.
It was very pleasant and instructive to follow this build log.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I been following your build from the beginning, Peter, and it has been an absolute pleasure. It's obvious that all the time you spent on the meticulous details of your model has been totally worth it. Your finished model is a masterpiece and your build log is a wonderful resource for learning new techniques and modeling skills. Simply magnificent! Congratulations! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

What an incredible model. Congratulations! 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Making the stand

Hi guys,

Although the ship is finished I still have to do a few things before I can call this project a success. First of the things I have to do is to make a proper stand.
There are many great examples to find on the web, but I like a "simple" but elegant one. This will be a baseplate with two pedestals on it however in the near future I need to make a proper dustfree case. Dust is the enemy of all wooden models. Dust attract moist and hold most and this doesn't goes well with your model. So, do not worry, I will make a case, but that's for later.

For now I start with the construction of both pedestals. I decided to make it all out of American or Black Walnut. I have a few boards on stock and it resembles the wood I used for the ship. So both the stand and the ship should complement each other, although that's the idea.
I used my tablesaw to saw a piece of 25x25x100mm. I will use a lathe to get it from square to a round shape. I never used a lathe before and purchased the cheapest one from Proxxon I could find. It's just a test if the machine and I can become friends....some machines will be your enemy forever....

photo 586208

photo 586210

photo 586209

With a pencil it's fairly simple to draw a couple of lines. With some wood gauges I shaped the pedestals.

photo 586211

photo 586212

photo 586213

photo 586214

Still need to make the slots to hold the keel of the ship. I cut these 90 degrees from the direction of the grain of the wood for strength.

photo 586215

I know you probably can purchase these pedestals and perhaps even better ones or brass ones than I just made. For fun I tried the make these things myself and I liked the lathework!

For the baseplate I used a very nice piece of solid walnut. However, the board I had was to thin to use, so I cut it into half and glued both pieces together with carpenters glue. I let the glued board cook overnight and the next day cleaned it all up on my table saw. I used a router to make a nice profile on the edge of the board. On the picture below I marked the glued edge between both boards. You can hardly see it.

photo 586216

photo 586217

A dryfit of the pedestals on the board.

photo 586218

After some measurements I glue both pedestals to the board. I also used a drill bit to drill a hole through the middle of both pedestals and the board to hold a bolt. When the ship is placed on the board, I use a bold / screw to fasten the ship to the stand. This also worked out perfectly.

photo 586219

The marriage between the stand and the ship. I must say....the both complement each other and it worked out perfectly.

photo 586220

photo 586221

The nameplate and the photoshoot is all that is left to do.....

See you soon,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

Today I post the final and promissed update. It's the photoshoot and the nameplate that's been made.
Well here we go and sit down for a lot of pictures and I hope you like them....

Regards,
Peter

[IMG]

En dan de eindfoto's...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Peter, these pictures and your build log are a beautiful gift that you have given us. Thank you!

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Simply magnificent, Peter, your model is work of art!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations, a very beautiful model.
Thanks for sharing this.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thans guys for all the credits and support. Really appreciate it! I put my heart and soul into this model and have a bit of a bittersweet feeling. I’m very happy she is finished don’t get me wrong, however I did love working on her every minute and I wil mis that.

I will come back with a new project, after I finish some small house projects.

Thanks again!

Peter

12 hours ago, 72Nova said:

Outstanding work!!

Michael D.

Thank you very much Michael! Appreciated. Hope you liked the pictures!

8 hours ago, BobG said:

What's next, Peter?

Hi Bob,

Still in debate with myself on my next project, but I made some preparations / sketches of my "probably future" / next build. If I'm up for the challenge though, it's a tough ship and I'm not sure if I have all the required skills. I'll give you a teaser.....
I had to increase the scale from 1:75 to 1:50 and drew this by hand from existing plans. 
When I'm ready with all the preparations, I'll open a log and start with the build. 
08720b5f49b0e2f936722b2efab6e6fc.jpg

Peter,

IMO - in this hobby your work cannot possibly be improved upon - You're so at the top of this hobby pyramid.

Stunning work down to the smallest of tiny details. Brilliant build log.  A great pleasure to have followed it along.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 9/22/2023 at 8:29 PM, md1400cs said:

Peter,

IMO - in this hobby your work cannot possibly be improved upon - You're so at the top of this hobby pyramid.

Stunning work down to the smallest of tiny details. Brilliant build log.  A great pleasure to have followed it along.

Regards,

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your nice comment! 
I will look forward to your next steps on your beautiful SoTS

On 9/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Peter,

Incredible model. My Congratulations!!!

:)))

Thank you Kirill for leaving a comment on my model ship! I wish you a pleasant day! 

Peter 

• 5 months later...

Peter,

Went back and stared in wonder at all the incredibly well done image details. Close-ups occasionally enhance mistakes  (well in my case 🤔) - In your build they absolutely capture the obsessive (a Huge compliment)  attention to scaling absolutely every bit of this projects to perfection - Big Cheers,

And as Julian just posted - yes museum quality - possibly beyond actually......

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 3/9/2024 at 11:34 PM, mrcc said:

This belongs in a museum!

19 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Peter,

Went back and stared in wonder at all the incredibly well done image details. Close-ups occasionally enhance mistakes  (well in my case 🤔) - In your build they absolutely capture the obsessive (a Huge compliment)  attention to scaling absolutely every bit of this projects to perfection - Big Cheers,

And as Julian just posted - yes museum quality - possibly beyond actually......

Regards,

Thank you very much for the nice words. I’ve done my best on this model to show all the steps I’ve done during construction. It was a lovely built, really enjoyed it! 

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Peter

Incredible work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me