Supermarine Spitfire by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Guillow’s 403 - 1/16 kit, built as display model

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Slowhand said:

Hi Tim, forgot to ask did you use a table saw to cut the balsa infills, a Byrne’s by any chance?

Hello Slowhand sorry for tardy reply but I’m finally picking this up again after working on finishing my Bounty, and waiting for my airbrush delivery. 
I cut all the infills the old fashioned way with my little hand saw and a knife. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Javlin said:

Nice Build!! It's a shame that Guillows could not get a better canopy form but it was intended to fly.looking forward to the finished product ;) Kevin

Hi Javlin. You are totally right about the canopy. Hard to make anything presentable out of it. I’m struggling there.

Thanks Egilman!

Just finishing off, a few more details to add, finish paint and maybe some lining and weathering. The colours I used are Vallejo model air: cam pale brown and bs dark green topsides, and sky type s underneath. These are the RAF temperate zone standard colours I think.

263336E4-A0DF-447D-960D-6386D0E54332.jpeg

8D484FD4-B9BA-428D-AEB7-EE21B9FA338B.jpeg

mine has pretty much the same camo

1634269121_3.jpg.0baa415f138e8073fa130f05cb50bb22.jpg

it's all set to fly......but I don't dare......my track record with these rounded fuselages is pretty low.  the best flyer I've done was a Fokker D VIII.  even with the rubber band exhausted,  it would glide much farther.  I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Not a tree crash or a P-40.  But had a DVIII control line flyer back around 67 at aviation school in Memphis.  A rather huge beast for the control line, around a 3' wingspan as I remember.  Flew well and was heavy with a large motor (.75?).   A control line snapped and the plane got away from me.... right through the window of the base chapel which was next the base hobby shop flying area.    I did immediately fess up but received no punishment.  Even the engine was shot as it bent the crankshaft.   I started looking for a less destructive hobby after that.

23 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Man, that is taking a Guillow's kit to a whole new level! All of the balsa-and-tissue models of my youth came to assorted sad ends. 😬

Thanks Chris - yes I wouldn’t have the heart to try and fly this one given all the crash landings in my model plane youth.

18 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

mine has pretty much the same camo

1634269121_3.jpg.0baa415f138e8073fa130f05cb50bb22.jpg

it's all set to fly......but I don't dare......my track record with these rounded fuselages is pretty low.  the best flyer I've done was a Fokker D VIII.  even with the rubber band exhausted,  it would glide much farther.  I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Nice! 

Thanks Slowhand, and everyone who looked in on this. I’ve called it a wrap and the Spitfire is now happily flying in the model builders cabin and harassing the speedboat.
So it is possible to make a decent and sizeable replica from these modest kits, just used a bit of extra wood and craft here and there, no real aftermarket bits. May do another at some point if I see another kit somewhere. The only thing I intended but didn’t do is the panel lining and riveting. I tried it out on a small section but couldn’t easily incise smooth enough lines on the wood structure that looked satisfactory to me, so eventually abandoned that idea. I think they would likely be best drawn on, but well I have a ship to get started on!

Cheers all...

6AE852C9-0E59-4E85-BC9F-5C52CB4DB997.jpeg

701048E8-89D8-490A-AE34-27FE08FA467A.jpeg

she displays nicely  ;) .....sweet looking ships!  there are a lot of models that seem to be missing something,  if done out of the box.   it also depends on the modeler,  just how far he or she is willing to go.  covering your model in wood sheet is a very good method.....you not only saved yourself from having to smell that god awful 'dope',  but you were able to put your own personal touches to the model.  I covered mine with the tissue,  but I sealed the skin with diluted white glue,  instead of the dope.  it was done in a couple of coats......it also tightened the skin as it dried.  a couple of coats of paint later,  and that's the process.  I've got a Fokker Dr1 in the closet....to the point of sanding before the tissue.  they can be fun to build :)