Supermarine Spitfire by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Guillow’s 403 - 1/16 kit, built as display model

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Almost looks like the pointed tip from an drafting compass.

That's exactly what it looks like brother, or the scriber point for a height gage...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hi Tim, forgot to ask did you use a table saw to cut the balsa infills, a Byrne’s by any chance?

Edited by Slowhand
Typo

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Slowhand said:

Hi Tim, forgot to ask did you use a table saw to cut the balsa infills, a Byrne’s by any chance?

Hello Slowhand sorry for tardy reply but I’m finally picking this up again after working on finishing my Bounty, and waiting for my airbrush delivery. 
I cut all the infills the old fashioned way with my little hand saw and a knife. 

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:02 AM, Javlin said:

Nice Build!! It's a shame that Guillows could not get a better canopy form but it was intended to fly.looking forward to the finished product ;) Kevin

Hi Javlin. You are totally right about the canopy. Hard to make anything presentable out of it. I’m struggling there.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Painting the Spit, finally.

252F40DB-0413-478C-9152-2FD329D69BF4.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

2 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Painting the Spit, finally.

Excellent example of using paper masks to get the diffuse edge effect on the pattern....

Well Done...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Thanks Egilman!

Just finishing off, a few more details to add, finish paint and maybe some lining and weathering. The colours I used are Vallejo model air: cam pale brown and bs dark green topsides, and sky type s underneath. These are the RAF temperate zone standard colours I think.

263336E4-A0DF-447D-960D-6386D0E54332.jpeg

8D484FD4-B9BA-428D-AEB7-EE21B9FA338B.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Man, that is taking a Guillow's kit to a whole new level! All of the balsa-and-tissue models of my youth came to assorted sad ends. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

mine has pretty much the same camo

1634269121_3.jpg.0baa415f138e8073fa130f05cb50bb22.jpg

it's all set to fly......but I don't dare......my track record with these rounded fuselages is pretty low.  the best flyer I've done was a Fokker D VIII.  even with the rubber band exhausted,  it would glide much farther.  I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Not a tree crash or a P-40.  But had a DVIII control line flyer back around 67 at aviation school in Memphis.  A rather huge beast for the control line, around a 3' wingspan as I remember.  Flew well and was heavy with a large motor (.75?).   A control line snapped and the plane got away from me.... right through the window of the base chapel which was next the base hobby shop flying area.    I did immediately fess up but received no punishment.  Even the engine was shot as it bent the crankshaft.   I started looking for a less destructive hobby after that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I started looking for a less destructive hobby after that.

Did you ever find it?:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Tim, I think you will start a whole new way of building Guillows airplanes. I’d best buy one before they sell out. When I last looked they had sold out of Spits, plenty of Hurri’s though.

Edited by Slowhand
Typo

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

12 hours ago, lmagna said:

Did you ever find it?:D

It took a long time but I did... building ship models.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

23 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Man, that is taking a Guillow's kit to a whole new level! All of the balsa-and-tissue models of my youth came to assorted sad ends. 😬

Thanks Chris - yes I wouldn’t have the heart to try and fly this one given all the crash landings in my model plane youth.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

18 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

mine has pretty much the same camo

1634269121_3.jpg.0baa415f138e8073fa130f05cb50bb22.jpg

it's all set to fly......but I don't dare......my track record with these rounded fuselages is pretty low.  the best flyer I've done was a Fokker D VIII.  even with the rubber band exhausted,  it would glide much farther.  I did a P 40 Warhawk........that one wrapped itself around a palm tree :( 

Nice! 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks Slowhand, and everyone who looked in on this. I’ve called it a wrap and the Spitfire is now happily flying in the model builders cabin and harassing the speedboat.
So it is possible to make a decent and sizeable replica from these modest kits, just used a bit of extra wood and craft here and there, no real aftermarket bits. May do another at some point if I see another kit somewhere. The only thing I intended but didn’t do is the panel lining and riveting. I tried it out on a small section but couldn’t easily incise smooth enough lines on the wood structure that looked satisfactory to me, so eventually abandoned that idea. I think they would likely be best drawn on, but well I have a ship to get started on!

Cheers all...

6AE852C9-0E59-4E85-BC9F-5C52CB4DB997.jpeg

701048E8-89D8-490A-AE34-27FE08FA467A.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Nicely done Tim Looks good doing a flyby.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That looks impressive. About your question about panel lines, I think that for a covering made of soft wood, pencil or ink drafted lines are the most realistic option. Anyway, she is impressive.

Best regards,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

she displays nicely  ;) .....sweet looking ships!  there are a lot of models that seem to be missing something,  if done out of the box.   it also depends on the modeler,  just how far he or she is willing to go.  covering your model in wood sheet is a very good method.....you not only saved yourself from having to smell that god awful 'dope',  but you were able to put your own personal touches to the model.  I covered mine with the tissue,  but I sealed the skin with diluted white glue,  instead of the dope.  it was done in a couple of coats......it also tightened the skin as it dried.  a couple of coats of paint later,  and that's the process.  I've got a Fokker Dr1 in the closet....to the point of sanding before the tissue.  they can be fun to build :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What an awesome build - very nice job!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 year later...

Not sure if site is still active but I do have a question.  Tim, I took note of your using 1/32 basswood for the top of the wing.  Since the basswood is much stiffer than the balsa, how did you get the contour?  Did you use small pieces?  Which direction did you apply them?  Can the basswood be soaked to make it pliable?  Any glue issues?  BTW, a superb modeling project.  My compliments.

Paul

5 hours ago, Paul Oberle said:

Not sure if site is still active but I do have a question.  Tim, I took note of your using 1/32 basswood for the top of the wing.  Since the basswood is much stiffer than the balsa, how did you get the contour?  Did you use small pieces?  Which direction did you apply them?  Can the basswood be soaked to make it pliable?  Any glue issues?  BTW, a superb modeling project.  My compliments.

Paul

Very good  question Paul.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

14 hours ago, Paul Oberle said:

Paul

Hi Paul, don't know if Tim is still posting but the answer to question #1 is the sheet is thin enough to form to the contour of the airfoil and from what I saw done in one or two long pieces... #2 They would be applied with the grain of the wood following the span of the wing or length of the fuselage...  #3 Yes, Basswood, like any other wood becomes pliable when soaked... (but at 1/32" the wood would be so pliable as it shouldn't need soaking for most except the tightest compound curves) and #4 I've never had an issue gluing basswood to any other wood with the usual glues for such, wet or dry...

I hope that explains the process, it's much like sheeting a ships hull, an identical process in fact...

EG

Quote:

Hi Paul, thanks for comment!
yes Egilman is bang on, the basswood was easy to bend along the grain, I didn’t need to do any soaking. Two or three pieces running from the fuselage to the wingtip following the contour of the spit’s wing. I just used yellow wood glue, nothing fancy.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thank you, Tim, for the reply.  I will let you know how I make out.  It seems a fair amount of sanding will be in order, but I'm up to it!!!

I've covered a few balsa models with tissue but your results with covering the whole Spit with sheet balsa (and Basswood) have inspired me  to move on.

I admire your work.

P.O.

Paul: I found a few build photos on my iPad that might show the cladding process a bit more - looks like I just used two sheets, and made the junction on the flatter part of wing so as to minimize filling. I thinned Elmer’s wood filler with water to perfect the joints.

74C96937-CBC8-49A1-B83E-EF9A04CC71B7.jpeg

73CD3FAE-C922-4ACF-B0CC-8C928E08B0CE.jpeg

9FA0ECCA-8A3D-4250-AD80-E29D4118B7E5.jpeg

1FA45FD6-8156-4680-8093-0DB38B3FFCA3.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed