HMS Granado 1742 Kit - CAF Model - 1:48 Scale

cafmodel

Your model really does look super Tom.   One question, hope you don't mind. What diameter are the treenails for the deck planks?  I believe that at your scale they would normally be between 0.015" and 0.02" diameter (3/4"-1" full size).

Thanks

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates on release of the other two parts of the kit?  Edit: [Doh, I just read above where part 3 is delayed until April.  It is looking like a beautiful kit, and since I am no where starting part I, I will buy part 2 and 3 and place them carefully on the shelf alongside part I.  If some other adventurous and more talented builders take on the exploded view and offer their build logs up for duplication, then I may try to make the exploded view over what ever time I have left on this planet.  I'm likely to need all of it to do this kit justice.  Great work!!!]

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 3 weeks later...

The kit looks great but I have friends who have been burned by Chinese made  kits before. The parts didn't fit well, the wood quality was poor and warped plus instructions were horrible. This is why I am reluctant to purchase Chinese kits.

From the photos the kits does look good. Are CAF kits of a high quality? I would like to buy one and I like the idea of buying it in sections but as I said I am a bit skittish about Chinese kits.

50 minutes ago, jmlyle said:

The kit looks great but I have friends who have been burned by Chinese made  kits before. The parts didn't fit well, the wood quality was poor and warped plus instructions were horrible. This is why I am reluctant to purchase Chinese kits.

From the photos the kits does look good. Are CAF kits of a high quality? I would like to buy one and I like the idea of buying it in sections but as I said I am a bit skittish about Chinese kits.

@jmlyle CAF  is a legit Chinese company and Tom appears to do a great job designing his own models and supporting his kits. The other Chinese kits you are referring to are likely pirated ones and therefore would be a mess. There are several build logs going on right now, you should check them out and decide for yourself. I will take a stab at one in the near future, just not sure which yet. But there are many on MSW that are satisfied with them. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Thanks for answering my questions. It really does look to be a good kit. I am building a scratch built 1/24 scale cross section of the Granado and a fully framed hull POF model is very tempting.

Edited by jmlyle
Spelling mistake

Hello everyone

At present, 90% of Granado's work has been completed, and all wooden parts have been produced

Sales were originally expected to start at the end of April

However, the epidemic situation in Shanghai is very serious. We began martial law on March 28. The original martial law plan lasted until April 5, but it is still under martial law Some uncertain news said that the return lasted until May 11

Therefore, during this period, we cannot obtain castings and etched pieces (Granado contains a large number of fine castings)

So at present, we can only delay sales. Please forgive me

Tom

1027283721_QQ20220408012604.jpg.744bc9bd170b040b43ff94fd268aafdd.jpg1990773294_QQ20220408012633.jpg.6f6b05610dbaeaa9ecf1f3ba0db293bf.jpg48783659_QQ20220408012514.jpg.567cb451da2d11ea29cd283ed756f419.jpg234044992_QQ20220408012539.jpg.c4c2628d770a60ef79d8cb1bd34b68b8.jpg1511968270_QQ20220408200112.jpg.587079e57d79578ac30ad6a6583588e5.jpg1063828314_QQ20220408012640.jpg.81955178c8f6439e7256959b94bf068a.jpg742162147_QQ20220409100932.jpg.242f2234a31f1b946ffc9bc31570f551.jpg

There is nothing you need to ask forgiveness for, Tom.  The virus has been very disruptive to everyone's life.   The prototype looks very good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

We are still isolated at home and can't go out

The number of people infected by the epidemic is still 20000 per day

Therefore, according to the analysis of the current situation, we are still unable to obtain freedom for a while

The situation is deteriorating, and the epidemic is also breaking out in other cities except Shanghai, so the whole city may be under martial law at any time

When will it end? I think only God and politics can know

Tom 

In Shanghai  China

I hope you stay safe, Tom.   The news is saying the situation is chaotic at this point which is very worrying.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...