HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

14 hours ago, Rustyj said:

hard work really paid off

Thanks Rusty, now I’m at it again, taking off those bow mouldings to fit the cat head support 😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Very well done, Glen.  Yes this part of the build is challenging indeed.  There are so many angles. Just eyeballing stuff just does not cut it. I found getting those timbers vertical and correctly spaced quite tricky. You did great! The cat head supports are also fun to adjust. Expect a lot of back and forth here. 

Jean-Marc

6 hours ago, baribeaujm said:

cat head supports

And just when I thought geometry class was over. I’ve managed one, let’s see if I can do two b

7 hours ago, westwood said:

great job on it

Thank you Dusan

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

what can be done with a Syren kit

Thanks Mike.  The design and laser cutting of Chuck’s models are definitely next level. 

Regards,

Glenn

The headrails are - at least I found them so - the trickiest part of the model. And, as others have said, they  matter very much in terms of the overall appearance of the model. You have pulled it off really well - but thats just in keeping with the remainder of your workmanship. Superb.

Best wishes

Fred 

• 4 weeks later...

Please ignore the poor photography and messy work bench. 

My “big wood” artist friend has completed the stand and future home for my Winchelsea. Note how the grain imitates the bow breaking the water. He intentionally selected this piece of wood for that reason. The maple inlay compliments the cedar as does the African Wenge compliment the colors of the ship. You know the Byrnes thickness sander many of us have? He has the big boy version, he ran this piece through it multiple times, routed out the edges for the inlay then ran it through several more times. 

IMG_3541.thumb.jpeg.e4b5aeab4a4dd7e3978afcf8cb4647ac.jpeg

I wasn’t sure about the lacquered finish until we set the ship on it. It reflects the underside of the boat, so that bottom planking isn’t lost from sight after all, an extra dimension for viewing. We had multiple ‘fittings’ to get the brackets just right, they are a work of art by themselves, carved from the same Wenge as the base. 

IMG_3542.jpeg
I’m really excited by the time and expertise Bill put into this. Really nice to have a friend with these skills, far beyond anything I could do and a perfect home for my Winchelsea. Now I just have to get back in the workshop to finish it. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn