HM Sloop Echo 1781 by VTHokiEE - 1:48 - Cross-Section

Looking really good! Cross-sections require minimum tools so hopefully you can proceed without a full workshop.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the likes and comments. I've finally gotten my garage into some semblance of shape - there still work to be done but I was able to get back into my ship yard.

Progress continues - I've started filling in the planking on the planked side (well that was probably obvious). As I started shaping the deck clamps I realized that I needed to pull off a plank. I had mistakenly stepped it down, but the deck planks are thicker (no step required) and I think in the end it will be easier to place the clamp and then fit the plank... hopefully I can make a template to accomplish this without too much hassle. At the moment I'm working through a lot of tree nailing. From reading many logs it seems that most people use bamboo and I have done the same (drawing it down from bamboo skewers) and the drawing process gets tedious as you get down to the final size - are bamboo skewers the appropriate material? or should I consider an alternative? I think I might also want to get closer in color in the future if that possible; should I consider drawing the same wood that I'm planking with, Alaskan Yellow Cedar in this case?

image.jpeg.934b1a4afa20c15b9d0a2492cc81ab73.jpeg

Split bamboo draws far better than other woods for treenails. You are doing it right. Just use the layer right under the shiny outer 'skin'. Further in the material gets too soft and pithy. I'm not sure whether cedar will hold together down to scale size. You might try it.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

19 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

drawing the same wood that I'm planking with, Alaskan Yellow Cedar in this case?

For many of the finer details on Winchelsea Chuck uses Boxwood. AYC is lovely wood bod will not hold detail on small things. My own experience trying to scrape moulding out of AYC on Cheerful confirmed that. 

Very lovely work!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @druxey, I ended up not trying other woods and sticking with the bamboo - I started getting slightly better at drawing it...slightly. I can't fully understand why some of the treenails seem larger than others. I assume it had something to do with my drilling/trimming/sanding technique as I got more consistent the further along I went. It may remain a mystery though.

Appreciate the comments @glbarlow, have some Castello in my shop but still looking for the right tool (or should I say right priced tool) to cut it down 😄.

Small update - I finished the treenails on the section so far which means that I can't put off the deck clamps much longer. I am trying to decide if I should start adding any finish coats yet or not though. I still need to glue a few things down so I suppose I'll put that off a little longer.

Echo_Cross_Section_Scratch_0115.jpg.06fdb3456f0e74ea9ccbdc82af9e6a3e.jpgEcho_Cross_Section_Scratch_0114.jpg.c2112167ffd1cd953464b9556cef6fa1.jpg

That is looking really nice Tim! So neat, crisp and clean.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Superb work Tim.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The limber boards.. these little guys took me for a ride (the whole weekend in fact). I'm not certain how many cedar trees were lost in the making of these seemingly small parts but a memorial has been erected in my back yard (and honestly they could be made better, just maybe not by me right now...). I tried to use a small plane (multiple times) and I simply could not get there so I changed paths and broke out the micro mill. I learned an awful lot more about machining setup these past two days - ha. When I finally had what seemed like an acceptable board I realized that I had shaped it to fit my not planked side and of course they didn't fit well when I switched them. Finally today I emerged from my work bench with a set of limber boards that I think will work. The limber boards are simply fitted here as the instructions warn you not to install them yet.

image.jpeg.48b496f0d255e7ce56492e92dce04d5b.jpeg

image.jpeg.47be178f0417de8ce70d872b42a61b59.jpeg

Next up the main mast step, which (if I am reading the instructions correctly) apparently is completely hidden - sounds like a good opportunity for more practice to prepare for more visible parts.

Edited by VTHokiEE

It's crazy how some of the simplest appearing parts can cause the most trouble.  And, yes, the mast step is completely hidden inside the pump well.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

We’ll done , this will look great on display 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you @tlevine, @Chuck, @glbarlow, and @druxey - much appreciated.

Have a quick question; I'm looking at the lower deck framing and I think I'm overlooking something. I'm currently making the lower deck beams, which are dimensioned, but I am having trouble finding the dimensions for the rest of the section (lodging knees, carlings, and ledges) and the only profile of the hanging knees is on page 12 (which doesn't have a scale but I think I can find a way to scale it given the other other components in the image have known dimensions).

I've browsed through TFFM and the remainder of the fitting out directions but where can I find/determine the dimensions of these parts and how deep the notches are for then to sit in on the deck beams?

Thanks for any insight!

Have you looked at this?  Page 12.  http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Echo_Xsec_Fitting_Out.pdf 

image.png.a03b0dc3088cb1321ff90c2ecf037558.png

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

14 minutes ago, tlevine said:

Page 12. 

Doh! I knew I was missing something - @tlevine thank you so much. Once I hit the planking between decks and the upper deck framing I thought that I had gone too far. Really appreciate it (and really need to re-read everything through).

• 7 months later...

After a considerable time away from the shipyards I found some motivation recently and have been plugging away at the ship's well and have almost completed it. I didn't take photographs of the progress, but I built up each of the 4 sides and then glued the sides together as square as I could. What I'm currently struggling with is how to make the hinges. I don't think my metalwork is at a point when I can fabricate them so I'm currently leaning towards using black card and pondering how to give the pin some depth. I have a little bit of time to ponder it though because I realized I build the lower deck beams incorrectly (confused width and depth) and need to remake them (about halfway done with them so I better get on the hinge decision before I start scouring the web for PE sheets that could solve the issue for me).

IMG_9829.thumb.JPG.51eb220794633c191eae28777e95fad7.JPG 

IMG_9828.thumb.JPG.3f360b79e4482d34f71c2d609e13a297.JPG

Very crisp and neat work, fine joinery!  Not sure it’s what you’re looking for, take a look at the port lid hinges Chuck offers for Winchelsea. Perhaps they can be modified to work.  

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Great job, it looks very clean. Good to see you back at it.

Thanks - very glad to be making some saw dust again!

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

take a look at the port lid hinges Chuck offers for Winchelsea

That's a good idea, I'll take a look. The hinges that are drawn (and I've seen on other builds) are usually T Hinges. I actually did stumble across a sheet of 1/35 photo etch hinges for dioramas by a company called Mathos Models that I may buy and see if they'll work (but then my nemesis "blackening" rears it's head 😂). I'm finding some other things (from railroad modelers as well) that could work if I don't end up fabricating them myself. 

Edited by VTHokiEE

What is important is whether they look "right", not the material they are made out of.  Paper for the hinge plates and a small piece of metal wire (or wood) for the hinge knuckle.  Paint it flat black.  

Toni

Great   to see   more   (very nice)  work on this,  its shaping up  nicely  my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great to see you back at work.  Your cross section is coming out awesome! 

A friend from my club who does a lot of photo etching helped me with photoetch hinges for my cross section.  Micromark sells a photoetch kit that could be an option if you want to go down the photoetch route- I've used it to make some similar parts.  Toni's suggestion about painted card would also work great.  Completely agree with your frustration with metal blackening.  I can't understand why with the same brass, prep, and solution sometimes it works great and sometimes it doesn't.  I switched to flat black paint.

Edited by davec

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying the hinge PE set by Mathos Models (I picked up both A and B sets so I can "always be prepared") and I think they worked out well. Unfortunately the bolts became much harder to see after blackening (I assume this is a shadow thing) and I made a CA glue stain (which thankfully is less noticeable no than when I took these pictures). The well and shot locker goes back into storage while I frame out the lower deck. 

Echo_Cross_Section_Scratch_0121.jpg.96874a064c6319c3299b18b379214d2a.jpg

Echo_Cross_Section_Scratch_0122.jpg.0a3651a26f5534537a627f464d19d0f3.jpg

Thet look  smart  -  they  really set  off the  woodwork.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Don't worry about the stain.  You know it's there but unless you point it out, nobody else will see it.  They will be amazed by the construction.

Toni

8 hours ago, tlevine said:

Don't worry about the stain.  You know it's there but unless you point it out, nobody else will see it. 

Thanks and I'm certain that you're right. It wasn't a deep stain so I was able to scrape some off gently with the back of an #11 blade, but I'm not doing anything further to ensure that I don't make things worse in an attempt to make them better.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:36 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Thet look  smart  -  they  really set  off the  woodwork.

Thanks OC, appreciate it!