Nisha by AJohnson - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'

This update mostly on the progress with making the mast, gaff and bowsprit; work just starting on the boom, but nothing worth reporting on that yet.

Bowsprit:-  Added some little details with reference once again to Edgar Marsh and his fabulously detailed book, added a collar and ring for the Topmast stay, drilled a couple of holes to simulate the sheave for the Jib and finally added a strip of card to simulate an iron rubbing strake for when the Bowsprit is run in.

Gaff:-  Main addition I made was to add a rocking tumbler between the jaws of the Horns, pleased in the end it does 'rock' but yes I did break the jaws making it! 😆 glue once again my friend, finally card strips glued on to represent iron bands.

Main Mast:- A few little details added over and above those provided in the kit, a topmast fid (not really visible in these pictures) an arm for Lantern halyards and mainmast cheeks; these are just visible in the Marsh plans of "Nisha" (see extract of those plans).  Finally an addition that took the most time but is actually hardly visible so not really worth the effort perhaps, is that I added rubbing battens, top and tailed by a collar and chaffing plate respectively.  I thinned the kit's walnut dowel where the rubbing battens were to be fixed and then cut thin strips from 0.5mm planks for the battens and glued in place.  These needed sanding so the mast hoops still moved freely.  Wish I had used a slightly different colour/type of wood for this, so it stood out better, but at least I know I made the effort, even if you can't see it from more than six inches away! 🤨

Finished the session off with preparing some blocks for stropping to the mast etc.  I have been prevaricating around the bush regarding starting some rigging of blocks, so I have been taking my time and trawling MSW for tips.  I read on other threads how pre-gluing the thread to the blocks with PVA first helps with managing the whipping process.  The blocks with pins at one end are for simple beckets, which I have hopefully sealed in shape with fly tying varnish; hoping to try and not use CA for my rigging on this build.

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

On 3/13/2022 at 3:17 AM, Grey said:

Aspiring work, as always Sir

Loving seeing her come together under your care. I'm trying to solve how to blatantly steal your fish build with my current tools. 🤣

Cheers,

Grey

Ha 😆, think all here on MSW is fair game and open to emulation/'stealing' (sort of one of the reasons for build logs I think 😉)  You could start a trend for adding fish to trawler builds.... 🐟🐠🐡

An update that has taken some doing AND re-doing! 😣 I have really struggled to re-learn tying blocks to things, having not done it for ages, my first attempts either 'slipped their moorings' of their own account (too shame faced to call themselves seizing's!) or looked so naff that I cut them off myself in frustration.

So an evening trawling MSW for inspiration, tip and tricks and I came a cross a few that I have tried out this last few evenings.  One I found by @Thanasis is especially promising, so I have given it a go and after making my own "Tie-fast seizing tyer" out of an old paint brush.  I won't go into the method, as it is very well explained in the link below.  Suffice to say I will be trying it out more to see if I can become more proficient at it.

My results below, six whole blocks tied on in two evening! 😆

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Hi Chris,

Hope  you are well. 

Quick question if I may, the Nisha sail plans are they same size as the rest of the plans?  (Approx reduced by 14% or so?)

Going to have bash at making tissue/paper ones I have seen some really beautiful examples here on MSW, if all fails expect a Nisha sail set order sometime! 🤣 

22 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Chris,

Hope  you are well. 

Quick question if I may, the Nisha sail plans are they same size as the rest of the plans?  (Approx reduced by 14% or so?)

Going to have bash at making tissue/paper ones I have seen some really beautiful examples here on MSW, if all fails expect a Nisha sail set order sometime! 🤣 

Because some prefer to make their own sails, the sail templates on Plan Sheet 7 are the correct scale (64th)

As a hard rule, sail templates are always drawn and printed to scale.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thanks Chris, some may indeed may "prefer" to make their own - but it remains to be seen if I can! 😉

I shall copy the sail plan and do paper templates using your plans to see how they hang temporarily; I still need to resolve in my head the bowsprit position, so your sail plan will hopefully resolve that for me.  Soon to be stepping masts and adding standing rigging etc. - Exciting stuff, seeing it come together, my frustration at seizing blocks aside (nothing to do with the kit, just me!) I have really enjoyed this build so far. 😁

6 hours ago, chris watton said:

Because some prefer to make their own sails, the sail templates on Plan Sheet 7 are the correct scale (64th)

As a hard rule, sail templates are always drawn and printed to scale.

Hi @chris watton, sorry to labour this point, I have made some temporary sails, tracing over Plant Sheet #7 and they look small on the model?

I have re-measured my completed mast compared to the dimensions on Plan Sheet #4 and they match (that was my first reaction - that I had made the mast too long).  Holding the Plan sheets up to the light the sails on plan sheet #7 are the same size as plan sheets #8 & #9 and the dimensions of the mast as measured on those plans (#8 & #9) are smaller than your stated dimension on plan #4...

Done a rough cross check with the admittedly small plans in March and these come out bigger, I think by approx.15%.  

I'm sincerely hoping my plan #7 is the culprit, it is on the same size sheet as the other plans 360x260mm.

Thanks

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

7 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Looks like you're right! It seems the printers scaled down my plans. I would do with your original idea of increasing the scale. I shall have to watch that in future...

Ah! Here is a thing, are the plans supposed to be printed on A3 (420x297mm)? as my sheets are 360x255mm which is approx. 15% smaller (maybe no coincidence?), I seem to recall Will building the Erycina mentioned the same size reduction.

6 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Ah! Here is a thing, are the plans supposed to be printed on A3 (420x297mm)? as my sheets are 360x255mm which is approx. 15% smaller (maybe no coincidence?), I seem to recall Will building the Erycina mentioned the same size reduction.

That's what it is, then.

Annoying for me, as I asked the printers to scale down the manual, so it fits in the box, I never said scale down the plans, too. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Update showing the correct size sail templates I made for positioning and finally fixing the bowsprit.  From reference to March I added a heel rope for the Bowsprit; a knotted end in the starboard bitt round the heel of the bowsprit, fastened to the bitt near the Gypsy winch, then back around the heel to a cleat on the starboard bitt again and a coil of rope added to finish off.

Also fixed and lashed down the boat, again with refence to the Marsh drawings/plans.  Other little details added was a pump handle for the top of the Tow Post/Dummy and some card to represent iron straps on the tiller.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

Looks fantastic. It was very interesting about the sail scale on your drawings as on Erycina the sails were correctly scaled. You are doing a beautiful job she's going to be great.

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I have Erycina in my stash.  I had a quick look at the main sail against the plan. The sail is about 15% larger than the plan, as Andrew found with his Nisha.

image.jpg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Quick question to those more knowledgeable than me on such matters:- the anchor chain from it emerging out of the chain pipe, in the Marsh reference sketches appears to go down the side of the winch; where there is a ring bolt stated to be for "anchor lashing", then out to the anchor.

A/. - Would the chain go around the winch whelps - or was this just used for the trawling gear?  I assumed so as a chain would damage a timber winch?

B/. - The anchor lashing, is that to the chain or the anchor?  It is just of all the reference pictures in Marsh, the anchor when visible tends to be near the bulwarks, I assume lashed somehow to a bulwark stanchion.  Also a few pictures show the anchor cable draped on the outside of the hull, I assume this was only the case when the anchor was about to be used -it looks good and workman like, but would have thought this would damage hull paint etc. pretty quickly!

Made myself an anchor from a bent pin, eyelet and spare larger boat grapnel. 

Also finished stropping blocks to the gaff and made a template main sail.

Thanks all for your continued comment/likes and following along. 😄

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Some great work there Andrew. You are really doing the build justice. I will have to try a do a model with a set of sails. What is the material you are using ?

I do wonder why some kits do not give you the option of buying sails or even give you the plans? 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

5 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Some great work there Andrew. You are really doing the build justice. I will have to try a do a model with a set of sails. What is the material you are using ?

I do wonder why some kits do not give you the option of buying sails or even give you the plans? 

Hi Dave, Vanguard do have optional Sail sets for their models.  I am just trying out various "paper" types as an experiment, as there are some wonderful examples on MSW that look stunning.  My first attempt using model a/c. tissue did not go well, think a bit too thin, so moving on to parchment now.  If all fails I can get a sail set from Chris. 👍

16 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Dave, Vanguard do have optional Sail sets for their models.  I am just trying out various "paper" types as an experiment, as there are some wonderful examples on MSW that look stunning.  My first attempt using model a/c. tissue did not go well, think a bit too thin, so moving on to parchment now.  If all fails I can get a sail set from Chris. 👍

Always good to try different things.I think that is what this hobby is all about. I have heard that silk span is another material used and I am sure you will have your own thoughts on that and I would be interested if you do have any. Kepp up the good work . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

42 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Hi Andrew finally found the time to catch up with your build and I'm certainly going to have to "up my game" to match your Nisha. I noticed that you painted the Steam Winch and other Deck equipment green, is that your own choice? 

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy, thanks, yes the colours are my own choices, though based on other contemporary models and details that mention common colours, red and plain black also options for the steam winches and dummy posts. The overall black hull seems to have been the most common appearance based upon the reference book by Edgar Marsh I’m using, but that doesn’t mean all were that. Depends if you want to see the natural wood planking, some greens and cream colours were used but less common. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small update of progress so far making some sails, pictures below of my prototype.

I am following in the footsteps of some master sail makers here on MSW using paper, and shamelessly copying them! 😆

I  Started out by cutting a backing template and then gluing strips onto this to simulate sail panels and corner reinforcements using dilute PVA.  Next I glued edging strips to wrap around some thin wire; this wire was spun in a drill to make it straight and stiffer than off the spool.

The lessons learned so far is that I think a spray on glue, like board-mount/photograph mounting spray, might be better as the thin paper might wrinkle less - I will try this next.  Also getting the wire to stay still is a challenge as you try to trap it with the edge strip, so I am going to apply a few dabs of C-A to hold it first.

This sail is not going on the model, a few too many mistakes on it (a bit rough in places), but I wasn't entirely surprised as it is my first sail.  But it won't be wasted, as I will use it to experiment with spraying paint on it.  I'm going to try thin light coats to see if I can preserve some of the paper translucence, even with the brown/red colouring I intend to use.  I was pleased the thin wire does hold a nice "blown" shape in the sail when gently bent into a curve.

More instalments soon.  Also thinking of adding a Trawl beam and frames, maybe even the net!  But thinking on that, whilst tinkering with sails.

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

Thanks Andrew.

I had great intentions of starting a log. After a week of building in the Christmas break I realised I had finished and painted the hull and had not taken a single photo. 

Maybe I will for Erycina

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

24 minutes ago, Craigie65 said:

Thanks Andrew.

I had great intentions of starting a log. After a week of building in the Christmas break I realised I had finished and painted the hull and had not taken a single photo. 

Maybe I will for Erycina

Phew, thought I had missed your log.  Well when you have finished your "Nisha" put some pictures up in the "Finished Gallery" if you have chance, so we can all have a look! 😁

Progress update on the sails this evening.  As mentioned earlier the prototype sail, was not what I wanted for the final model but was good enough to carry on to experiment with airbrush painting to see how it would come out.  I mixed some old enamels I have for plastic aircraft modelling to something I hoped would look like the classic "Trawler red/brown" sails found on those craft.  I sprayed of several light and fairly dry coats so as not to soak the paper and cause even more wrinkles.  Quiet happy with the results so far.

Now gone on to what I hope will be the final sails that I'll attach to the "Nisha", having messed about with dilute PVA glue and spray glue; the first causes too mush wrinkling of the paper and the second is well just too messy! I settled on using glue sticks!  Those of you with kids, go raid their art supplies as it worked! 😂 I didn't mention in my previous post that I am using baking parchment paper and this has a slight sheen, so I needed to apply glue to both the backing template and the thin strips that I cut.  But this slightly shiny surface means I had chance to position each strip before it grabbed for good.  To make sure of a good fix I then iron each sail between two sheets of cartridge paper.

As I am cheating a bit and only applying 'panels' to one side of the sails; to keep them as thin as possible, I am applying the reinforcement corner patches and luff reinforcement bands etc on the opposite side so that side also has some textural interest to it and relying on the still semi translucent appearance for the panel bands to show through when the lighting conditions allow.  Edgar Marsh shows "Nisha" with two reef bands on the main sail and one on the foresail (but admit I have no idea how to rig that!)  so I will add these, so next update will hopefully have those and the wire edging done.

Thanks all for continuing to follow and comment/like.

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

The sails have progressed better than I had hoped, I got into something of a 'production line' mentality and tackled one edge of each sail at a time, first gluing on the edge strip of a side for each sail, then letting those dry, then iron them in place, then onto the next edge and so on around each sail.  Next I temporarily glued the edge wire in place with C-A, again tackling one edge on one sail at a time.  Then the same for folding over and gluing the edge strip to trap the wire, then ironing to seal and flatten each edge.  Really enjoyed the process actually, time just flew past, very Zen.  ☺️ 

Without getting ahead of myself (I haven't yet got them rigged onto the model!) I am daring to dream I might be able to add sails like these onto my "Bounty" build! 😲

Next step is give these sails a 'rusty red' spray tan.  I'm also considering what to do about the bolt ropes, if anything.  Not sure I'm up for trying to sew something on, maybe I could glue some thread on the edges, or perhaps at 1/64 scale just paint the edges hemp/tan colour to simulate the bolt rope, or ignore it all together.  Not sure yet, my prototype sail may serve yet for one last experiment on this question...

Until next time, thanks for looking in.

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

Edited by AJohnson