Nisha by AJohnson - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'

Amazing Andrew. Love the net and the catch in salted boxes. I believe they salted the catch. I am in awe of your work.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I like the look of that trawl net Andrew and can think of quite a few uses for something like that and wondered where you got it from? Your model is look fantastic and the workmanship is something to be proud of. You will soon be looking for something new to build. Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Nice  build, you can sail on a gaff rigged ship The Golden Vanity which is nearly identical to a Mumble-Bee. I did this year, a weekend sailing round the Isle of Wight anti-clockwise.

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

On 12/13/2021 at 10:13 PM, AJohnson said:

Progress so far on building up the hull ready for planking.  So far I am up to stage 51 in the instructions, spent a fair amount of effort in sanding the bulkheads so that the first layer of planking will sit okay, running a plank up and down the bulkheads to make sure there were no areas that didn't sit right.  There is a bit more to do yet in one or two spots, but happy with progress on at least this bit.

Then attached the keel and stem patterns and stern post, there was a little opening of some of the bulkhead slots to do to get these in, but no really issues here.

But then I tackled step 51 in the instructions and I've bust the kit again! 😖 In my defence I followed the instructions and soaked the stern counter pattern in hot water for half an hour then clamped it into position and left it overnight.  I came back in the morning to the scene in the penultimate picture... oh dear.  ☹️  So I've checked the alignment and just glued my new two-piece stern counter in place!  Think it should be okay with a bit of sanding once dry, I will let you know when you tune into the next instalment of the good ship "Calamity" - "Nisha"! 😨

20211211_151155.jpg

20211211_151147.jpg

20211211_151309.jpg

20211211_153947.jpg

20211212_152811.jpg

20211213_090326.jpg

20211213_192613.jpg

how big is this model, it looks so tiny ?

Love this  build  -  and  the additions of  the  figures  gets  my vote.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Evening all, thanks to @Old Collingwood @king derelict @Slowhand @DaveBaxt for your kinds words. 

Work continuing on the sails and finally finished one - the Outer Jib Sail. (pictures below) the inner Jib Sail not far behind.  The start of these sails was a while back if your interested in how I made them (posts #113, #118-120ish.)  Finishing touches were to glue on the bolt rope and attach the block and lines, then a final flat coat to seal everything together.

Overall I'm satisfied with this first foray into sail making, hopefully the wrinkles and "roughness" and colour variations are sufficiently "scale".  I'm toying with the idea of having a deliberate repair patch on the main sail, with some areas of stronger looking colours to denotes it is a more recent section of sail.  I'll think on that while finish the boltropes/bocks and lines etc.

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Evening all,

Starting to fit sails to the model, having finished the Inner Jib Sail I decided that it would be best to fit that one first and work from closest to the mast outwards, as that would hopefully give me most working space.  A little bit of a delicate balancing act, using varnish to stiffen the threads in order to "push" the sails into position to simulate them being blown by the wind - hence the various pens and so on propping the sails in position until the thread is stiff.  Having felt my way into the process it is time to start on the Main sail! 😨

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

Superb sail work!! 

I do like your idea of a patch and colour fade on the mainsail, I think it will give it a hard worked appearance to an obviously hard worked fishing boat!😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks you all for your comments and likes, I've now finished the topsail and started the final work on the main sail.  I have darkened one corner of the main sail to see how it looks before doing any more "patches" to simulate repairs.  I don't want to over do it and make this look too scruffy.  I'll think on that as I add the ropes to it this week.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Hello all, some progress - a bit more Elf & Safety for the crew with the addition of Navigation lights from scraps and some clear plastic sprue. 

The lanterns (from old plastic model canopy sprues) were first masked for the lamp window and painted silver so as to reflect a little light internally before an overall coat of black.

The idea for the fixing of the Navigation boards came from the build log of @Craigie65 for his lovely Erycina where @DB789 shared some picture of how they are fixed on "Vigilance".  I've done what I can at this scale, but things a bit fiddly even with my magnifying glasses on!

I've also called it a day with weathering the main sail, I'm really nervous of over doing it and making it look a mess, so leaving it as it is here.

Thanks all for continuing to look in and the likes and comments. :imNotWorthy:

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

That all looks fantastic!  I really like the look of the patched and weathered sail!!!  Nice work, absolutely great!!!!!!

Now you have shamed me to finish mine!

I need to finish a plastic kit first and then clear the decks to get the lathe out for her masts.

Yours is the stand out build of this kit - you have made it your own with all the detail you have added.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

5 hours ago, Craigie65 said:

Now you have shamed me to finish mine!

I need to finish a plastic kit first and then clear the decks to get the lathe out for her masts.

Yours is the stand out build of this kit - you have made it your own with all the detail you have added.

Hi Craig, thank you.  I look forward to seeing your Erycina with masts! 😁  You are not alone though, I'm getting "nudges" to finish my "Bounty" that I have neglected since I started "Nisha".

Edited by AJohnson

Hi All, a mixed bag of little bits and pieces today.  I have been finishing these off prior to adding the main sail; thinking the kit will be too delicate for me to be messing about much more with it once the sails go on.

Firstly I made the bow roller for the trawl gear from scraps from the box; this included a spare thimble for the actual roller itself (I think I am going to have a fair few spare blocks and P.E. when I finish this build - hope I haven't missed anything off! 🤣)  I wish I had thought of adding it before I had fixed the capping rail as that was a delicate operation to cut it back.

Next up a little flag for the top of the mast, as the plans in Edgar J March shows one with a little "N", so as to get the "Nisha" in pride of place in the lounge I asked the Admiral what colour flag she would prefer (out of a choice of three) and she chose Green as it would compliment the wallpaper. (job done 😁)  This will go on last at a "topping out" ceremony - besides if I add it now I will only snap it off half a dozen times adding the sails...

Finally, I added the mast navigation light and some rope coils, so I think everything forward of the mast is now done, on to the big sails next! 😨

Thanks all for your kinds comments, likes and following along.

Nisha 01.JPG

Nisha 02.JPG

Nisha 03.JPG

Nisha 04.JPG

Nisha 05.JPG

Nisha 07.JPG

Nisha 08.JPG

Nisha 09.JPG

Nisha 10.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

7 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Simply beautiful. I hope you have a glass of something good for the topping out ceremony. The quality of your model demands it

Alan

I agree with Alan.  Your Nisha is a master class in craftsmanship, and I think we all deserve a glass of something good to celebrate your topping out ceremony.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:04 PM, HardeeHarHar said:

I agree with Alan.  Your Nisha is a master class in craftsmanship, and I think we all deserve a glass of something good to celebrate your topping out ceremony.

Thank you very much Alan & Brian, the Main and top sails are now on; with the aid of the relevant section of how to do rigging in "Modelling the Brig of War IRENE" by E.W. Petrejus (A really useful book), but with minor tweaks still to do before I can call them finished, this included a few delicate sessions bending the trapped wire just under the bolt rope to simulate the Topsail being bent against the running rigging and masts. Same also for bending the Mainsail into a gentle curve, I have been studying all the photographs in Edgar J March to get the shape I'm after.

Next post will have the work I have been doing on the Boom.

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Work on the boom, pinching a few details from March again.

I added Reef Pendant eyes and clamps, a top lifting eye and plates made out of card for the clew earing.  At the mast end added card strips to simulate iron bands and more eyelets and card for Reef tackle plates, all I need now is to work out what the hell the Reef tackle looked like! 🤔  Also still to add a cleat or two I think.

Thanks for dropping by and the likes! 😁

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

OMG!  Your work is way over my abilities.  I love the use of reference books, even if they are outside of my comprehension at the present time.  So much to learn and emulate from you and the other scholars in the community!!!!

Well this is it, finally finished! :champagne:

Final few bits of rigging details to show you then I will upload some picture here and in the Gallery.

E. W. Petrejus in his "Irene" book came to the rescue for the reef tackle details.  So with that all attached to the boom it was just a matter of add the final parts of rigging to hold the boom in place and stiffen the threads with varnish to "push" the mainsail over to one side to simulate the effect of the wind.  I had to move the crewman filleting the fish as he would have had his head bumped by the lower block! (must plan this stuff better in future!)

Next post will be the "big reveal"!

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

Edited by AJohnson