HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Jason / Mort

Jason,  If I were you I would stick with your idea of going with the Aggy, if and when Surprise comes out she will have some teething problems so by the time you are ready for her they should be ironed out by Caldercraft or solutions to certain problems will have been worked out by other modellers. :)

Mort,  I did ask for progress details but they are being very tight lipped over her, they are giving no information at all other than she is English and was at Trafalgar,  and so in a way with a bit of investigation, an idea of the I.D. of which ship she should be may come to light. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful mate :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie

Excellent ratlines so far… only a zillion more to go. :D

By the way – Why RAT-lines? Could this be a timid reference to the language used while setting them up?

And thank you very much for the update on CC’s plans. I’m looking forward to Surprise although I think – judging by the prototype photos – there could be a few crinkles which need some ironing.

I’m also thinking about a ‘Jack Aubrey’ –version which would need a costly replacement of most of the guns and this could mean some short rations for the family for some months to come…

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the good word mate. :)

I think you may well be right, I also thought about the "Jack Aubrey" conversion but as yet I haven't done any research into what changes need to be made. 

I have the film Master and Commander so should be able to get any changes from the horses mouth so to speak or at least I hope so and yes she will have quite a few wrinkles I should think. :mellow:

Rat-Lines, love em or hate em, I personally don't mind them but your right, they can be a complete pain in the proverbial, no two days are ever the same so it can make life interesting. Given the choice they would have a completely different name which would most likely be unprintable. :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Mobbsie: Just catching up on your postings and admire the progress you are making. As a fellow Aggy builder I can really appreciate the work you are putting into your Aggy.. congrats on a fine job and also that you haven't lost your mind in the process.

As far as the Surprise is concerned.. Im still holding out that Caldercraft SOME DAY will release the surprise kit.. its on my list of have to builds.. and the big question will then be what version do you build,,,, the one for the movie, one based on plans of the L'unite or the one floating in San Diego harbor (formerly known as the HMS Rose)

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the good word mate, coming from you that's a real compliment. :)  :)

I just hope CC are true to their word, I've been so frustrated with them in the past over this ship that I'm not holding my breath waiting. :(  :(

There are a lot of guys who want to build Surprise so I think it's going to be very interesting when we get a chance to start.

I have the book " The Frigate Surprise by Brian Lavery and Geoff Hunt " and there is a whole lot of information and drawings which makes my decision a little easier.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie

I’m just trying to fix parrel ropes around the mizzen topsail yard in scale 1/64. Well, that’s a rope asking for a different name!

There is a book printed by W.W. Norton & Company Ltd.:

The Frigate Surprise by B. Lavery and G. Hunt   (ISBN 978-0-393-07009-5)

It contains both versions; the historical correct one and an O’Brian version. The fictional ship has that 36-gun frigate mainmast and 9-pdr long guns instead of the 32-pdr carronades as main armament.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

I do have that book and it will be a great source of information, I do fancy the Jack Aubrey version but I also like the carronades of the original.

Never had a carronade before and I quite like them, I may go for artistic licence and just play a little, we'll have to see, it's not out yet.

Your not wrong about Parrel's mate, to me they are one of the worst parts of the rigging, I hate them. The air in my workroom is not a shade of blue but more a shade of deep purple and I don't mean the group. Still, it wouldn't be right if we enjoyed every aspect of our builds would it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it. Your build is great. Keep up the great work.

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mobbsie: I share your frustration in waiting for the Caldercraft kit.. especially when there has been a completed prototype out there. I do hope they release it. I have to admit the first challenge I will have with the project is what version of the Surprise I will  build.. I have been on the Surprise several times when I have been down in San Diego. I was hoping to see her sail last November with the Star of India sail at the museum but she has some structural problems that will require a serious hull restoration. I did see her sail a few years ago and it was amazing day (my profile pic is one pic I took that day)

Anyhow.. keep at the Aggy project. I cant wait until you can get some spars on her...

Have a good on

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on current progress, it's been limited lately due to a refurb of the kitchen and also a few health issues, hopefully resolved now.

I have been working on the Foremast and have fitted all the Shrouds, Futtock staves, Catherpins and Futtock Shrouds.

Next job is to put the Lanyards into the deadeyes and tie off then do the Ratlines, after that it's a bit of woodwork with the making of the Bowsprit, fit that and then the Stays, should be a lot of fun.

Some pics.

Looking from the bow, all is as it should be, nice and symmetrical.

post-493-0-51613000-1392558346_thumb.jpg

Foremast Tops

post-493-0-27239700-1392558416_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-38838900-1392558481_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-35211000-1392558547_thumb.jpg

Portside Deadeyes

post-493-0-00273200-1392558636_thumb.jpg

Futtock Staves and Catherpins

post-493-0-71642600-1392558693_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-48478000-1392558820_thumb.jpg

Fitting and tying off the Futtock Shrouds

post-493-0-62899200-1392558913_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-10259200-1392558977_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-53713900-1392558996_thumb.jpg

So there we have it guys, your right up to date now, hopefully the next instalment wont be so long in coming.

Any questions, just ask, as long as their not too technical.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Really nice work there all around Mobbsie.  Hope nothing is serious on the health side.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie,

Thanks for the good word mate.

The start of a cataract has been seen in my left eye but that's not too bad, what really concerned me was that I have Emphysema and I got a chest infection which made life quite difficult for a bit, breathing became a luxury and I was waking up in the early hours fighting for breath but that mostly behind me now so it's onwards and upwards yet again.

Thanks for asking mate, appreciate it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

super job on the rigging Tony..... Sorry to hear about your  health situation, glad you're feeling better...STAY HEALTHY :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Rigging looks great, hope your health issues are behind you now.

Best regards

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Good to hear that you're well enough to be back in the shipyard, Mobbise. I missed seeing your updates.  Great looking work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Along with everyone else, I'm glad you are feeling better! The symmetry in your shrouds and around the tops is wonderful - so neat and tidy!

Oh, by the way, no more chest infections for you - stay healthy!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hi All

Thank you all very much for your very kind words and concerns over my health.

If you shake me I will rattle, my morning tablet intake has gone up from 2 to 11, most of those are antibiotics and hopefully only for a week.

Thanks again guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Very nice work Mobbsie, as always.  Glad to hear you're on the mend.  Hope to catch you on Skpe tomorrow.

Sweet! She looks great! Glad you are feeling a bit better. Hope to see ya back to 100% soon! With any luck we'll have a break from snow (24 inches since Thursday) so I can get some building done!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

shrouds are looking great...that's a nice shot of her,  the bow,  looking aft :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking good Mate, glad you can see again. Keep up the good work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

love the last phot's - i still dream of getting that far on my Victory build, seam like i have had her on the build table for ever

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat