USS ENGLAND (DE-635) by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

13 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Hi, I have used this and mentioned it in my build log.  It is very milky and it grabbed and set very quickly which made it ideal for gluing up smaller parts but didn't really give any wiggle room. I applied it with a small brush.  It also was good in gluing other materials to paper such as brass. 

I stopped using it when it turned to a chocolate milk colour in the bottle over time, but apparently according to the manufacturer this doesn't affect it's performance.  However I have still not used it in some time as old dried glue turns brown and crystallised. Doesn't affect where I used it as ideally shouldn't have glue/excess glue visible anyway but something to keep in mind. The already glued parts are still going strong though.   

Thanks Captain Slog. I had an old bottle that sat for 18 months and was chocolate milk colored too! I thought that was odd but I guess its common. It still worked but left a brown tint behind when I tried it on some hidden bulkheads. After this new bottle I may switch to something else... Maybe Chris's canopy glue. My Microscale Kristal Klear canopy glue bottle is still white on the inside and just as old..... 😃 

BrianK

38 minutes ago, BrianK said:

Chris are the tub walls edge glued or do they have tabs that insert somewhere or fold over? They look great!

They wrap around projections of the deck. No tabs. Like most of my models, they look great when viewed from the right distance and/or angle! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The discolouration is known by deluxe and something they are looking into. 

I don’t want to highjack Chris’s thread but know he, like me, is looking for the holy grail of glues but  I recently purchased Ammo by MiG Ultra glue for photo etch, canopies etc which is a thick acrylic glue which I may try on my paper build to see. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

41 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

but know he, like me, is looking for the holy grail of glues

Found it! The "Great Golden Grail o' Glue"!

mv5botviy2y0zgitmtg2oc00yzezlwjhyjytzjg4

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, Brett Slater said:

If you want to see absolute card genius have a look at the work of DORIS on this site. Here is an example

Hey now! That's not fair to mention Doris in my build log. Comparing her to me is like comparing Rembrandt to Bob Ross. 😉

2 hours ago, Brett Slater said:

I imagine they must take a huge amount of precision and skill to make them look this un-card like.

If you're talking about Doris, her skills are even more awe-inspiring when one considers that she builds from scratch.

Anyways, back to us mere mortals!

8, 9: Superstructure (cont'd)

I don't know exactly what this next bit is, since I don't have any diagrams of a Buckley-class DE, but based on its location I'm inclined to believe that it must be the CIC. I also cropped part of it out of the photo, because I thought I'd already shown it -- sorry! There's roughly four hours of work shown here. Along with the presumed-CIC are some lockers for the #2 3"/50 mount.

england23.thumb.jpg.e42d129db015569298cf160c30644e51.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

OC rates that Ultra Glue very good. I've been using Gator Glue to attach PE to plastic and resin. So far, I like it a lot. And water cleanup.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I have been experimenting with using the Evergreen Canopy Glue for paper-paper joints, and actually so far I quite like it -- has a few seconds of working time, but then locks up tight. Dries clear. And one important feature that pleasantly surprised me is that it can be applied to long edges in a nice bead without beading up, if you catch my meaning. It also fills small gaps nicely.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

10: Superstructure (cont'd)

Not much in this post. I finished up the CIC roof. Not a whole lot to see on the top side, though I did make things only slightly more interesting by accidentally gluing in the inner wall upside down.

england24.thumb.jpg.b13c3883f62bbba3a5de5ccd67770ee4.jpg

The underside has helped inflate the parts count thanks to its 15 support brackets.

england25.thumb.jpg.ce77581e0056b37b5598dced692a174a.jpg

A test fit of the roof was successful. Finally assembly will take place once the hull and superstructure are mated, which is next up on the to-do list. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

This completes the construction sequence up through Step 10. The hull and superstructure are now joined.

england26.thumb.jpg.f8b9eebcc826ae8f16cd3f742fb24314.jpg

I hope you are enjoying this "10,000-foot view." Personally, this bit left me with a bad case of the "Curse of the Headband Magnifier" -- can't work without it, but the trade-off is that every stinkin' little cosmetic error is highly visible while I work. It's a little depressing, honestly. Thank goodness for low-res photography!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

26 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

This completes the construction sequence up through Step 10. The hull and superstructure are now joined.

england26.thumb.jpg.f8b9eebcc826ae8f16cd3f742fb24314.jpg

I hope you are enjoying this "10,000-foot view." Personally, this bit left me with a bad case of the "Curse of the Headband Magnifier" -- can't work without it, but the trade-off is that every stinkin' little cosmetic error is highly visible while I work. It's a little depressing, honestly. Thank goodness for low-res photography!

I know how you feel Chris  at 1/700  scale  viewed under max  strength  oprovisors   a dust speck looks the size of a football.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Thank goodness for low-res photography!

Can't put a "like" on that, not even an "agree."

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

12: aft gun tub

Step 11 consisted of only two wire parts, easily dealt with. Step 12 was the construction of the gun tub for the "Chicago piano" quad 1.1" AA mount.

First the basic gun tub w/o edge coloring.

england27.jpg.56e754af81edfa4587331277586cb0d2.jpg

And the finished tub glued in place. Total parts count for this structure came to 28.

england28.thumb.jpg.332d2a7be85dff6374cfd3a4739be6e7.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

13-15: stuff

Yes, you read that right. Steps 13-15 cover a small handful of tiny lockers, valves, and watertight doors. I didn't take any pictures, because all of these would be difficult to spot amongst all of the already-added bits and pieces -- it's a very busy deck with a lot of 'white spots' to kill. I will add pictures once I get started on the next major assembly, the bridge.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

16: Bridge

Work on the bridge has started. It began with an internal skeleton made of six formers. This was then wrapped with a single-piece wall and topped with a deck.

england29.thumb.jpg.a0608ee4be5494cbd59542434a1d2e72.jpg

The various control panels were doubled.

england30.thumb.jpg.41f7d1971d685e528b39a7b92c7ff452.jpg

Then work commenced on the many, many elements that will be added to this small structure. Here's the progress so far on the forward elements. These brought the bridge parts count to 29.

england31.thumb.jpg.17139fd7fc4c86b9160a5d65dd5483a7.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Your bridge sure got busy, Chris. Cutting, fitting and edge coloring parts the size of a dust speck. You are a master.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

This project has slowed considerably since I have been lassoed into watching the Marvel MCU movies in chronological order with my daughter. Thanks for understanding! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Could have been worse............ we just went through the Star Wars universe here and have a few more to go.  Also in chronological order. The good part was that we didn't have to wait in line and the pop corn was fresh!:D 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Thanks for understanding!

No understanding needed, ENJOY....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

43 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Could have been worse............ we just went through the Star Wars universe here and have a few more to go.  Also in chronological order. The good part was that we didn't have to wait in line and the pop corn was fresh!:D 

It was always my brother's dream from elementary school to work on Star Wars movies. He and his friend in grade six made a stop-action super-8 star wars film, including a bar fight scene where in the blink of an eye everyone fell to the floor 😃. After graduating as a computer animator, he did indeed join Lucas in time to work on the later three movies (chronologically the first three). His claim to fame is that he was lead animator for Jar-Jar Binks, the least popular star wars character ever 😆. As he says, "I didn't write the dialogue, I just had to deal with animating his flowing mane as he ran around corners!".

Personally I found the newer movies so terrible I didn't even watch the third......don't tell Andrew......

After this he worked on several other movies, such as  Hulk & Pearl Harbour. He emailed me one time to say that he had seen the model battleships for Pearl Harbour leaving their model shop on flat-bed trucks for the studio, and if only I could have been there....😒.

11 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

It was always my brother's dream from elementary school to work on Star Wars movies.

I was 13 when the original came out -- saw it seven times in the theater and dreamed of being a Hollywood SFX model-maker. Of course it's mainly CGI now.

13 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Personally I found the newer movies so terrible I didn't even watch the third

That was the only one of the nine Trilogy of Trilogies films that I didn't see in a theater. Pretty sad.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco