USS ENGLAND (DE-635) by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Chris, do you think a vac pen would be helpful in card modeling?

I didn't even know there was such a thing. Might be a bit of overkill. Sometimes I use my knife tip to pick up a part -- just stick the part and lift. It doesn't leave a visible mark.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5, 6: Superstructure (cont'd)

They may be hard to see in some cases, but all of the starboard elements have been added except for the depth charge cradles. The parts tally for this task came to 67. Adding the 22 cradles will finish off this side, but I think I will do the port-side elements first and then do all of the port and starboard cradles in one go. That will leave me one end of the superstructure that I can safely grasp without knocking stuff loose.

england17.thumb.jpg.65049c6190b05bce98895b807d3d5291.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I should have done this ages ago.

1075401164_pic1.thumb.jpg.95592c2cfc596688d1c775677ffd225b.jpg

1112494901_pic2.thumb.jpg.d23cfc757a6d3d2c37ab0086d79a29fc.jpg

Once again, crappy cell phone camera doesn't begin to show the difference. Top pic shows old lighting setup, bottom pic shows work area under new 4000 lumen LED light. The difference is HUGE in real life!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

All of the port-side elements except the depth charge cradles are now in place. This brings the total number of parts added to the superstructure to 153. The depth charge cradles will push that total to 229. 😬

england18.thumb.jpg.abeb3633a349c2da45ac6ea8800823e3.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Whew! All the depth charge cradles are done -- at least the ones on the superstructure! I made a couple of modifications. Originally, each cradle is designed to consist of a tray and a rolled tube. Thinking I would go nuts if I had to roll 38 tubes, I decided instead to make these from 1 mm styrene rod. I made a jig out of scrap wood to get each tube exactly 3 mm long. The other change concerned the color. The prototype model on the cover shows the cradles as either white or light gray -- hard to tell which exactly. The kit provides the tubes in dark blue-gray, and the laser-cut trays are light gray. So which is correct? I decided to scope out some pictures online and, unsurprisingly, the few color photos I found showed the cradles painted the same color as their parent ship. That makes total sense. Since the whole point of painting the ship dark blue-gray is concealment, it seems to me that it would defeat the purpose to paint the cradles a highly contrasting lighter color. So, for this build they all ended up being painted dark blue-gray.

Here are the 22 on the starboard side. There are 14 more on the port side.

england19.thumb.jpg.c4ae597ce319b8a550fa17a238fb5549.jpg

And that finishes off the construction for diagrams 5 and 6. Onward!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nice work. Your colour matching is exceptional! Would never guess that is painted styrene rod

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

16 minutes ago, BrianK said:

Chris can I ask how you painted the 3mm rod? Did you attach them to the cradle first? Spray or brush?

Assembled first, then painted with a brush.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Since the whole point of painting the ship dark blue-gray is concealment, it seems to me that it would defeat the purpose to paint the cradles a highly contrasting lighter color.

But there are still those two orange coloured hockey-sticks shouting for attention :)

Nice progress. Will be another show-piece!

Jan 

3 hours ago, amateur said:

But there are still those two orange coloured hockey-sticks shouting for attention

I know, right? But I guess that finding damage control equipment easily in an emergency was considered a higher priority.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 2/5/2022 at 6:10 PM, ccoyle said:

The difference is HUGE in real life!

I'll vouch for that, I installed two of them to eliminate cross shadows, and they last 5 times longer than the regular bulbs...

Much cheaper in the long run as well...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 2/6/2022 at 7:27 PM, ccoyle said:

Whew! All the depth charge cradles are done

They are known as Mandrels... and yes they were painted the same as the sides of the bulkheads they were next to initially, and then plain #5 Ocean Grey (actually a blue color) The camo on the ship and the colors used would be according to Ships 2 rev 3 1944, for an example here is Ships 2 Rev 2 from Feb. '43... But I understand the need to match the colors the kit used... Not advocating for a repaint... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 2/7/2022 at 5:29 AM, amateur said:

But there are still those two orange coloured hockey-sticks shouting for attention :)

Nice progress. Will be another show-piece!

Jan 

On 2/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, ccoyle said:

I know, right? But I guess that finding damage control equipment easily in an emergency was considered a higher priority.

I was going to ask about those as well, they sure wouldn't be red during WWII... neither would the firehoses underneath them...

Actually no, everything was painted, no brightwork was allowed to show and anything on a bulkhead was painted the color of the bulkhead.... (as per Ships 2, including canvas as well) they were very serious about it... Captains had a lot of leeway in when and how their ships were painted, but the details were according to Ships 2 without exception...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

30 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Actually no, everything was painted, no brightwork was allowed to show and anything on a bulkhead was painted the color of the bulkhead.... (as per Ships 2, including canvas as well) they were very serious about it... Captains had a lot of leeway in when and how their ships were painted, but the details were according to Ships 2 without exception...

See? Now you've just made me go and question the coloring of every card model I've ever done or will yet do. 😆 Oh, well. That's one of the limitations of the medium -- we are to a degree beholden to the research and creative skills of our kits' designers.* Sure, we can fix a few bits, but making too many changes sorta defeats the purpose of doing card models.

*I guess this is true for all kits, isn't it? 🤔

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, amateur said:

And reality seems to be somewhere in between: those hoses seem to be painted in the same colour as the bulkhead, those two things below are definitely in a more bright colour.

(phote dated february 1944)

The things above are not hoses, some kind of fitting like a nozzle extension or something, things under them ARE fire hoses, stowed in their brackets, which during the period were canvas and would be canvas colored when new, painted when they repainted the bulkhead... Kind like a radome tan or light sand/off whitish color...  Definitely not red, red is post war composite hose probably Vietnam era or later.... Which is totally incorrect for the vessel...

Quote:

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's one of the limitations of the medium -- we are to a degree beholden to the research and creative skills of our kits' designers.* Sure, we can fix a few bits, but making too many changes sorta defeats the purpose of doing card models.

*I guess this is true for all kits, isn't it?

Yes it is brother, my thoughts are that the kit designers use what is typical for the period they are designed for the details rather than doing the extensive research to get down to the color of the firehoses...

All of us as modelers have to deal with it.... One of the vagaries of our chosen mediums... 

It's looking great though... even if the detail colors are a few decades off...

Quote:

So, do you ever run into a part of your build that seems like it should be easy but then just goes 🤬🤬🤬🤬? Yeah, well I ran into that with the walls around the 20 mm positions. Each is just two parts, shaped, glued together, and then ready to afix to the superstructure, but ai yi yi!! For some reason, once they were folded, they wanted to slip from my grasp constantly, after which they inevitably fell to the floor. Then they proved to be too long and needed a trim, then they wouldn't stick properly, then I managed to get glue seemingly everywhere. Ugh! I finally got them done, but they exhausted my patience, so the shipyard is closed for the evening.

england20.thumb.jpg.8181232079c8362f3e307cf0adf2dab6.jpg

There are a number of underside parts and brackets that are supposed to be glued to the superstructure deck before it is added to the superstructure. I did all of the flat parts, but I didn't add the brackets at that point -- the suggested sequence just seemed like a recipe for disaster for me. I went ahead and glued the deck on and then added the brackets. Not a big deal.

Here's a just-for-fun shot of the superstructure sitting on the hull. It's not glued down yet, but I may need to do that job soon, regardless of the suggested construction sequence. The superstructure has a slight twist, which means it will need to be clamped when it's glued to the hull, and I won't be able to do that once all of the various superstructure bits are added.

england21.thumb.jpg.688b1682afc50f689cc57ddd319d949a.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

England is looking great!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

"Dont it just  prove to be true"   little slip ups  try to  trip us up  like an invisible  tripping up thing,   good progress  Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

I will be curious to see how you "clamp" the superstructure.

I will probably use contact cement and finger pressure. Maybe.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

very nice indeed

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Clamping perhaps becomes slightly easier as the hull has a rigid core. At least the risk of pushing the structure down into the hold is smaller.

And as we all are very distracted by the vast amount of little details added to the ship, no one will notice that your railing is not to your own standards (it still is way above mine :) )

Jan

Edited by amateur

Chris, on the subject of glues.... do you have any experience with Roket card glue from Deluxe Materials? I am trying a bottle out now on my first card build in years and it seems to give just enough time to move things around before setting up. I think it's  quite a bit faster than Elmer's white has always seemed to set for me on other paper projects -- thus the reason I tried it on this card build. It is very liquidy though. Microbrushes are what I use to apply it.....

BrianK

13 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Here's a just-for-fun shot of the superstructure sitting on the hull. It's not glued down yet, but I may need to do that job soon, regardless of the suggested construction sequence. The superstructure has a slight twist, which means it will need to be clamped when it's glued to the hull, and I won't be able to do that once all of the various superstructure bits are added.

That is going to be Spectacular! Looks beautiful....

Quote:

4 hours ago, BrianK said:

do you have any experience with Roket card glue from Deluxe Materials?

First I've ever heard of it, but from the product description it sounds very similar to Evergreen's canopy glue.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

9 hours ago, BrianK said:

do you have any experience with Roket card glue from Deluxe Materials?

Hi, I have used this and mentioned it in my build log.  It is very milky and it grabbed and set very quickly which made it ideal for gluing up smaller parts but didn't really give any wiggle room. I applied it with a small brush.  It also was good in gluing other materials to paper such as brass. 

I stopped using it when it turned to a chocolate milk colour in the bottle over time, but apparently according to the manufacturer this doesn't affect it's performance.  However I have still not used it in some time as old dried glue turns brown and crystallised. Doesn't affect where I used it as ideally shouldn't have glue/excess glue visible anyway but something to keep in mind. The already glued parts are still going strong though.   

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

7: Superstructure (cont'd)

Step 7 is all done now -- another 38 parts. The amidship 20 mm gun tub walls were much easier to do. Thanks to their being more than a half-circle, they sort of clamp themselves when glued to the main superstructure.

england22.thumb.jpg.8d41074b8e7e6fa563b1a917bfea46c0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco