Landlubber from a landlocked country

UMH

Hello all,

My name is Daniel and I am from Switzerland. I have been interested in model shipbuilding since I was a child. 
However, until today I didn't have the time or the opportunity to really get something going. A few years ago I built some cardboard models. Now I'm trying to get started with a "beginner model". 

In this sense with best regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel, Welcome to the forum! This is the place to learn everything about model ship building. Don’t be shy asking questions. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome aboard!

I might have a pdf of a printed ship model of a Canadian Mine Sweeper that I can dig up and send you if you're interested?  Not sure if that's what you're looking to build.

Enjoy your time here - there are some master builders on this site, and I'm no-where near their level of skill!  This place is open to folks of all capabilities!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Landlocked maybe, but some beautiful lakes surrounded by gorgeous scenery. Four years ago I was at the IPMS Belgium, there was a German gentleman who was selling card models, they were amazing and I had a hard time believing they were not styrene or other "hard" material. Welcome to the site you will find a lot of inspiration. 

inspirations. Since joining I went from styrene to resin and now wood models (Vanguard are amazing ). I never build a card model but have been tempted by

the Walter Winan cigar boat!

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Yes, Switzerland has some beautiful lakes and is a beautiful country. But other countries are also beautiful and I have been to many places in Europe where you can stay longer.

4 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Hi Daniel, Welcome to the forum! This is the place to learn everything about model ship building. Don’t be shy asking questions.

I hope so. What is shy 😉

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Welcome aboard, Daniel!  Visiting the Swiss Alps in on my bucket list!

here is a picture for your bucket list. This is my daily view from my house.

image.jpeg.2bf3a0fe605630034335900a1ce8d039.jpeg

3 hours ago, NavyShooter said:

Welcome aboard!

I might have a pdf of a printed ship model of a Canadian Mine Sweeper that I can dig up and send you if you're interested?  Not sure if that's what you're looking to build.

Enjoy your time here - there are some master builders on this site, and I'm no-where near their level of skill!  This place is open to folks of all capabilities!

Thank you very much. For the time being, I'll stick to wood. I still have the HMAV Bounty here as a cardboard model. It's been waiting for years to be built.

Kind regards

Daniel

Wilkommen! I've great memories of Switzerland as a child staying on the Vierwaldstättersee. The old side-paddle steamers on the lake were lovely.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

52 minutes ago, UMH said:

here is a picture for your bucket list. This is my daily view from my house.

Seriously?  OMG that is gorgeous!!!  Thanks for ruining my day while I look out my window at cow patties and fire ant mounds!  🤠  I gotta start planning my trip over there.

This is the Sweet Spot, Daniel. Welcome. Friendly, expert help and answers to just about anything you can think of about ship modeling!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Welcome Daniel,

I have had the very good fortune visit Grindelvald several times, including taking the tram to First.  BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL country, even for those of us who do not ski.

I know freight is expensive these days, but the three model beginner series designed by David Antscherl and available through Model Shipways is possibly the best way to begin and learn good methods.   Study the many build logs here at MSW and do some research on the actual vessels that you are considering so you can which best suit your desires.  Not all kits are created equally when it comes to realism and quality.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW, Daniel.   Do feel free to open a build log for your model.  It's a great way to get help and meet others.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome, Daniel.

When Dave E said don't be shy, he meant don't be too cautious or timid (scheu? timido?) if you want to ask questions. Everyone is very helpful and we only learn by asking questions.

Steven

Hi @all

On 6/18/2022 at 5:36 AM, Louie da fly said:

When Dave E said don't be shy, he meant don't be too cautious or timid (scheu? timido?) if you want to ask questions. Everyone is very helpful and we only learn by asking questions.

Thank you Steven for the explenation. Naturally i knwo what is shy. I meant that i never was shy 🙂

On 6/18/2022 at 2:52 AM, mtaylor said:

Welcome to MSW, Daniel.   Do feel free to open a build log for your model.  It's a great way to get help and meet others.

Maybe. In the past i started in in some card modeller forums a build log. But i never written them to the end 😞

I want (need) the recognition for my creations 🙂 and also good tips.

But in one log i lost the interesst in the model (it was a airplane) and in a other case the model was destroyed afters two or more failures.

Sad but true.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:46 AM, allanyed said:

I know freight is expensive these days, but the three model beginner series designed by David Antscherl and available through Model Shipways is possibly the best way to begin and learn good methods.

Do you mean the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory kit? Actually i have the Occre Kit "Polaris" here for my first steps in wood.

I don't really have the experience to say it is a good kit or not. I started with them in this days and build the frames until now.

Best regards 

Daniel

Daniel, welcome aboard.  What a beautiful view you have out your window.  It reminds me of the areas where I spent so many summers fishing with my Grandpa.  I can't add anything to the great advice/suggestions you've already received.  I can only reinforce that starting a build log really is a great tool to share your progress and also to get help if/when you might need it.  We are all eager to help where we can and enjoy recognizing the success of others.  You've found a great group of people who will support and encourage you in each and every build.  Remember to take your time and enjoy the voyage.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats