Sopwith Pup by Edwardkenway - FINISHED - Kartonowa Kolekcia - 1:33 - CARD

Marcle Models sells card kits in the UK, but since most models are published in Eastern Europe, it shouldn't be too expensive to order directly from the publishers. Kartonowa Kolekcja only ships to Poland, but their kits are available elsewhere, e.g. WAK or GPM.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I went through Draf Models, direct from Poland, reasonable delivery costs to the UK. The others Chris mentioned ship to the USA according to their websites.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

42 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I went through Draf Models, direct from Poland, reasonable delivery costs to the UK. The others Chris mentioned ship to the USA according to their websites.

In the past I have ordered from GPM as well as from a now defunct seller in Ukraine. But I still wonder why hobby shops in the USA make no effort to sell these products. Maybe it’s a matter of no USA distributor to order from.

Ah, I couldn't say wether an actual hobby store stocks these sort of models, as in my local area model hobby shops are rarer than rocking horse manure.

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

50 minutes ago, CDW said:

But I still wonder why hobby shops in the USA make no effort to sell these products.

There used to be two such shops in the US. One was Paper Models International; the original owner sold the business over a decade ago and the new owner has done nothing with it. The other still exists -- Paper Model Store. But again, the owner hasn't updated his website in ages and now seems to be selling only a few kits through eBay.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Last night's bit of work, the prop, got me pulling my remaining hair out!20220917_102317.thumb.jpg.6f791f366ca323202ef79dabce2cc2be.jpg

i got there in the end. 

The landing gear is dry fitted to check and the wheels need some work to get them looking better 20220917_102339.thumb.jpg.2959aa3ad7c17fc01d2ff5a80434c8a0.jpg

Next up the tail and horizontal thingies at the back.

Ps still got a lot of edges to colour in.

Thanks for looking in, the likes, all and any comments. 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Tailplane or horizontal stabilizer, and elevators, the movable part of that flying surface, on the trailing edge. Happy to help with the nomenclature. 😄😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

49 minutes ago, CDW said:

Edward the influencer. A good influence.

Well, who'd have thought it!🤭

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Tailplane or horizontal stabilizer, and elevators, the movable part of that flying surface, on the trailing edge. Happy to help with the nomenclature. 😄😉

Thank you kindly, Ken, 😉

1 minute ago, king derelict said:

Prop looks nicely 3 dimensional. Lovely work. 

I guess card model parts don't suffer from tweezer launches so much but maybe a draught can wreak havoc

Alan

Thank you Alan,

I don't even need a draught, I can drop and lose parts in card, wood and plastic!😂

59 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Looking good!  I must dive in and try one too..........

Resistance IS futile🤭

Current builds;

Completed:

Tonight's progress, I put the outer skins on the tailplane (horizontal thingies 😁)20220917_221916.thumb.jpg.6fd5c68c3b63ef7a2bf8d3a6d6f8ed7d.jpg

but oh my, those edges really do need tidying up! One side is definitely better than the other, as the second went on better.

I appreciate all the likes and comments 😊

Many thanks to all who have had a looksie.

Cheers  

Current builds;

Completed:

What words of advice can you offer those of us who have never built a card model now that you have some experience under your belt. What parts of it seem the most challenging? The fact the instructions are in a non native language is intimidating to me. What steps are you taking to solve that issue or are you fluent in other languages?

9 hours ago, CDW said:

The fact the instructions are in a non native language is intimidating to me. What steps are you taking to solve that issue or are you fluent in other languages?

I used a translation app on my phone and saved the results as a pdf. Although with this kit, the construction drawings have helped me, much like the drawings in a plastic kit.

9 hours ago, CDW said:

What parts of it seem the most challenging?

For me, it is getting the curves to flow rather than angular. 

Oh! and rolling small parts😑😄

With this kit costing me less than £10 with laser cut parts and shipping,  it wouldn't be a big loss if I cock up and bin it😊

I don't think I'm quite ready to tackle a ship of the line type kit though. I'm still just dipping my toes in😏

Current builds;

Completed:

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Not sure how to use a translation app on my phone. Do you take a photo of it and the phone translates it or ??

Yes, take a photo or scan the document and then import it into the translator.

Just checked, mine is Google Translate. 

Current builds;

Completed:

16 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yes, take a photo or scan the document and then import it into the translator.

Just checked, mine is Google Translate. 

Thanks. I watched some Youtube videos to learn about the app for my iPhone. I'm lucky if I know 10% of my cell phone capabilities. I really appreciate learning about the feature from you. Here I had a solution for the problem all this time and didn't even know it.

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Here I had a solution for the problem all this time and didn't even know it.

And for those of us that don't own a cellphone?   {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

16 minutes ago, Egilman said:

If you're on a pc or tablet, you should be able to download a translation app and basically do the same thing😉🤭

Current builds;

Completed:

25 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks. I watched some Youtube videos to learn about the app for my iPhone. I'm lucky if I know 10% of my cell phone capabilities. I really appreciate learning about the feature from you. Here I had a solution for the problem all this time and didn't even know it.

That's the joy of the forum, learning and sharing tips,tricks and information. 😀👍

Current builds;

Completed:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

If it's a website, or even a pdf, right click and an option list will pop up about using Google Translate.   This doesn't seem to work every website or every browser though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

If it's a website, or even a pdf, right click and an option list will pop up about using Google Translate.   This doesn't seem to work every website or every browser though.

I know this Mark, what I would do is scan the instruction pages into the computer, OCR them, and then translate the whole thing...

Was just trying to make a joke... (sorry it didn't come across)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

I know this Mark, what I would do is scan the instruction pages into the computer, OCR them, and then translate the whole thing...

Was just trying to make a joke... (sorry it didn't come across)

My bad.  I'll go stand in the naughty corner.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For what it's worth... I use OneNote for OCR conversion:  MS app included with Office365 subscription. Does a good job from jpeg or png (which also means screenshots).  Can be edited (fine tuned) and saved to text/doc editor.  Short learning curve to take full advantage of the tool.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Just now, robert952 said:

For what it's worth... I use OneNote for OCR conversion:  MS app included with Office365 subscription. Does a good job from jpeg or png (which also means screenshots).  Can be edited (fine tuned) and saved to text/doc editor.  Short learning curve to take full advantage of the tool.  

I've got OneNote as it came bundled...never used it. Thanks much for getting the word out on that software. Will definitely try it out now.

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

My bad.  I'll go stand in the naughty corner.

We're good brother... it just might be me getting my nose too close the the klej

Quote:

4 hours ago, robert952 said:

Good choice, I use Acrobat for OCR, a bit of a learning curve but also works very well....

Quote:

Some ultra fine modeling going on there  Edward,   imagine  if they did paper/card figures  in  the scale I am working in   -  that would me a challenge and a half.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1