USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

No progress to report.

BUT --  I did receive my order from Jeff at HobbyMill.  It came in early, nicely packaged.  And I must say that I'm impressed at the quality of both the wood and the milling.  Never realized that all the pieces in a given package are supposed to be the same dimensions :D  :D

Great stuff and service.  THANK YOU, JEFF !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, I give you fair warning now, you will become addicted to Jeff's product, it's fantastic!

Look forward to seeing your version of the great cabin floor in the future!! :-))

Enjoy the perfect material, you are now sliding down the rabbit hole!

Ben

I've been meaning to look into an alternative wood source.....the only wood I've been using is basswood ,  balsa,  and obechi

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie, I give you fair warning now, you will become addicted to Jeff's product, it's fantastic!

Look forward to seeing your version of the great cabin floor in the future!! :-))

Enjoy the perfect material, you are now sliding down the rabbit hole!

Ben

I didn't order it for the floor!!!!  I have a different idea for that.  The big problem now is ---- what am I going to blame my horrible finishes on???  The crummy wood is 'off the table' :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ah! Real timber from Jeff at Hobby Mill. There is no hope for you now my friend! Whether you realise it or not, you are now an addict. Yup, his stuff really is that good! May as well give in now and succumb to the lure of the Darkside......Bwahahah!

Aftermarket wood - I may be a noobie but I love me some real lumber.   I got some pear, holly and box a little time ago and ended up using it for all kinds of things - this that and the other; LOVE IT!!!  (You are now hooked though, I gaurentee it)

I am trying to put together another order myself for upcoming ships in the closet.

It is so nice to work with!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Uh-oh... 10-letter words, Hobbymill wood... and JP telling you to take the blue pill.  You are destined for the darkside, my friend.  Abandon all hope ye who have entered here.   Alas, alack, and happy building.   Next thing you know, it's the Jim Saw...   I need to step outside and return to my own bit of delusion.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry Mark.  I get my 'pleasure' vicariously watching you and the other 'darksiders'  making each frame out of 12 individual pieces then placing 126 frames upside down into some unknown contraption for months.  Others chopping down trees.  Insanity, say I. :D  :D

Update tomorrow.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

that's the definition of insanity Augie : doing the same thing over and over and over and over ......

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

that's the definition of insanity Augie : doing the same thing over and over and over and over ......

You forgot:  "and expecting different results."   Wait..  that's what I do.  Uh-oh.... I'll get my coat.  The 38 with extra long sleeves.post-76-0-72303000-1381034897.png

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

until I just googled this saying i didn't realise this saying has been around for awhile. I got it from Farcry 3 ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Good morning Augie,

I may have to follow your lead and order some wood for my next build. I would like to use boxwood for my MS long boat.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

And back to you Larry.  You can't go wrong with some custom cut wood.  It makes the kit stuff look like it was cut with a hand grenade.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The beakhead and foredeck have been completed.

The planking is 1/8 x 1/16 basswood.  The finish applied was Minwax Pre-stain followed by Minwax 'Natural' stain.  Rather then go with the usual WOP, I chose this time to go with a coat of flat acrylic brush on (Testors).  Here is the inboard side of the beakhead.  It will most likely be ultimately painted red to match the bulwarks:

post-56-0-99853300-1381074884_thumb.jpg

Here is the forward view of the beakhead and deck:

post-56-0-96863600-1381074944_thumb.jpg

You may notice that the deck has been treenailed.  I use Chuck's method of simulated treenails.  Holes are drilled with a #72 drill, lightly sanded, cleaned with the sharp point of an awl (gently) and then filled with this wood colored filler:

post-56-0-12810100-1381075130_thumb.jpg

After the filler dries it is lightly sanded and then undergoes the finishing process.  The simulated caulking on the deck is made with a #2B pencil applied to only one side of the plank.  I prefer the caulking to appear light.  The finished treenails are barely visible impacting more on 'texture' then standing out in color. 

Overall, I like the appearance of these elements and they shall contrast slightly with the hull and deck planking

Will now be moving on to setting the gun port sills and lintels.  First I want to make up a mock cannon so there are no surprises down the road.  Chuck suggested this on Syren ---- it worked.  So I'll use it here.

Have a few days of 'winterizing' to do so no updates for a bit.  Everyone in the Northern Hemisphere stay warm :)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

Can you take for me a close up picture from the treenails?

For the rest it looks great ! ( i'm not excepting something else form you )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Augie, great work! It looks like you are competing with Mobbsie for fastest builder on this forum. I'm anxious to use that exact same method of treenailing. It appears that it's a lot of tedious work but in the end I like the look of it.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Beautiful work Augie. I like the tree nail method as well as the results!

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks to all.  Your interest keeps me plugging away (not a pun for the treenails).

The method is not hard but is really not a great substitute for drawing wooden nails and pounding them in.  Now THAT takes time.

Now, my friend Sjors ------  I provide photos and what do you ask for?  MORE PHOTOS!!!!!!!  Well, I'm way ahead of you.  If you go back to page 6 you'll see a close up of treenails in the keel.  Same exact thing except those are with a #70 drill.  :P  :P

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sweet work, Augie.  I guess I need to find more time to get to MSW just to keep up with you and Mobbsie. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahoy Sors :D

"They are not treenails.  They are bolts (simulated)."

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

some nice looking progress there Augie...the beakhead looks very nice  :)    one of these days,  I'll have to try treenailing.....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

:P 

Ahoy Sors :D

"They are not treenails.  They are bolts (simulated)."

:D  :D :D  :D  :D .......ya got me, JP!  Just trying to make my photos multitask.  I wasn't aware MSW had a court reporter on staff writing all this stuff down.  :P  :P  :P

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Really nice Augie!   I myself like the poke hole and fill method of treenailing - and I love that hobbylite stuff.

As usual - your work is Faaaaantaaaasstic!  Nice and clean and easy on the eyes!

Looking good man, lookin good.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

This is looking immaculate Augie! I am amazed at how fast this is coming together. I like the treenail idea as well. It looks easier then using brass wire or a treenail puller to get the right diameter...

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale