USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Very appropriate Grant.  Elk season just opened this week!!!  This guy stops by the house once a week to check out my build:

post-56-0-10710100-1382016323_thumb.jpg

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She grows!  She grows!  Great stuff, Augie.

John

The pace of growth is amazing and beyond prediction - I think he'll hit 500 pages easily.... oh and something about the ship... uhhhh... beautiful work and craftsmanship  :D  :D :D  

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Keith-  I've always been afraid someone would ask that question  :D  :D .  The old log was about 50 pages when it went down --- but in those days there were only 10 posts/page.

I don't really care about the # of pages although I know it annoys some people.  I post as many photos as I can without being silly.  With Syren it was about 135 photos.  Confed will be more as I've learned what folks might like to see. 

My logs are open to everyone and I welcome active participation.  Those who don't care for our 'family' environment can choose not to follow.  As Andy said earlier, all chances of this being a 'highbrow' log went out the window with the appearance of the first moose.  Of course I'm part of the problem as I tend to care as much about the folks on here as I do about reporting that I glued stick 'A' into slot 'B'.

More pics in a day or so.

I'm hoping you managed to save those 135 photos and your log, or someone else. I'd love to see it in preparation for my build

Cheers!

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Thanks Augie!

I'll be sure to check it out. You can never do enough research on how the experts do things.

Kind regards

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

We'll wait patiently for you to complete your gun port framing. It's not going to be easy waiting though. The gun ports you do have complete look great.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I agree 100% Augie & Popeye! :)  :) :)  

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

My work would be 100000000% more awful if it weren't for this forum. This is what keeps me from yelling and pulling my hair out during work hours. The coffee isn't bad either.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Gun port framing has been completed :

post-56-0-10854400-1382141338_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-77961900-1382141357_thumb.jpg

I used a spacer this time around to insure that the ports are all the same width and set at the correct angle.  Everything was faired into the hull .  Sanded and filed the inside of each port so they are basically ready for painting in a few days. 

Next up is a rail amidships and some hances.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Dang Augie, you got little mini shipwrights working with you there?  You're "sailing" right along...  

Sorry, I had to make at least one ship pun somewhere!  :o

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Holy cow.... er... elk.  In another couple of weeks at this rate, you'll be doing ratlines.  :)    Now I remember why I'm retiring... to keep up with your log and speed at which you're progressing.  :D

I'm guessing you live in a residential area with no hunting from the back porch?  That would explain the elk hiding out there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone!

A few leagues to travel before planking becomes the order of the day.  Lots of timber to still lay in.  Then we need to pick a proper red for the bulwarks.  All fun stuff :)  :) .

MARK--- no, no elk hunting down here at what we call 'sea level' (5230 feet).  Do have some fishing to do this next week before winter closes in.  And you think retirement is gonna be easy.  I'm waiting to see what happens to you in 13 days! :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

I thought it take ages before you finishing those line up for the gun ports…..

And know it is done !

Very, very nice.

In a short of time, Ben can take a look at your build how things goes instead of you are doing that with him  :D  :D

Enjoy your fishing.

I go to work  :(

It's not fair !!!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

she looks great Augie.......yup......planking soon,  and all that sweet stuff!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking good Augie....and you thought I was building fast.....planking is around the corner.  We're heading back to Houston.....the shipyard will reopen next week....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hmm so it looks like it is going to be 1 set of pictures per page on this forum. OMG! Great work by the way. And this is your 2nd ship?!!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

OK, that's it.  I'm closing down the shipyard.  Rumours of planking, speculation on next ship, specters of the dark side.  This place is getting like Saturday Nite Live :D  :D .

In truth, all that's happened is that I've managed to keep the universally feared "Oh s_ _ t_"  to one every other day rather than 2 per hour. :)

Be back when the snow flies (Monday) :dancetl6:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

In truth, all that's happened is that I've managed to keep the universally feared "Oh s_ _ t_"  to one every other day rather than 2 per hour. :)

That's 'cause you're not trying hard enough.... should be averaging one of those every 7.6 minutes......

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Great job on the framing Augie!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

OK, I couldn't stay out of the shop so here's a small update :)

The hances and midship rails have been completed.  These will act as a substrate for the hull planking to come.  Fairing the hances to the hull shape was challenging (I won't mention the pencil sander again) but test planks seem to lie nicely at this point:

post-56-0-17089500-1382288861_thumb.jpg

Next up will be laying out the sweep ports.  There is a half cord of lumber, 3/8" square, that needs to be fitted between the bulkheads and faired prior to laying these out.  Keep a weather eye out for a cloud of sawdust over the Rockies :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That's looking awesome Augie! I want to encourage you to not leave the workshop anymore so we can see more updates.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne