USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

WELL, it's a pretty good one!!!... Yeah I can believe it!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I have to agree. Went over the log myself, and decided right then to come back and refer to it for various phases of my build, when I start it. Excellent reference material.  B)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful work, Augie.  Coming along nicely.   Don't you know that when it gets hot, some of us get to stay in the air conditioning...and.... SHOP TIME!!!!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work, Augie. Good technique abounds.

Up here in the Smokies, we can work outside, so we can enjoy the fresh air and do a little modeling. I do wish I had screened in my deck area, though.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally made some headway on getting the rails installed.  I'm working from stern to stem so we began with the quarterdeck and stern rails:

post-56-0-16569900-1427039085_thumb.jpg

All of the rails are 3/16 x 1/16 boxwood and are faced on the hull side with 1/16 x 1/16 basswood molding which was beaded using a scraper.  The camera is simply not picking this up due to the black color but it's there.  It will be more distinct on the forward railings where the molding will be natural.

Then stern rail was a bit of a challenge as it's a compound curve which was made by a combination of lateral and edge bending.  It would definitely be easier to fabricate from wider stock (thereby eliminating the edge bend).  But I love a challenge and needed more wood in my scrap box  ;) .

Will be moving forward now as Confed competes with the great outdoors and it's associated activities.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She just keeps getting more and more impressive, Augie.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work as usual.  I guess the rails are supposed to be black.  I like the look of black rails with the edge (where us used 1/16 x 1/16 scraped boxwood) either painted yellow.  Or using boxwood or holly.  Anyway, your wood working skills are second to none.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

looks awesome Augie......love the way it accents the stern and badge moldings.   can you get a picture of her looking mid ship aft?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all for looking in.

KEN-  The quarterdeck and stern rails call for black.  As we move forward the moldings will be natural.  

POPEYE - I'll shoot that angle once I get the railings on the waist section.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'll be looking forward in seeing it.......I think a little  'Sjors' rubbed off on me  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks to all for looking in.  

Managed to make some progress.  The inner bulwark planking on the quarterdeck has been completed.

attachicon.gifC - 271.JPG

attachicon.gifC - 272.JPG

Now we'll concentrate on getting the rails on all around.

Hope everyone is ready for the (long awaited) change of seasons. Here, in the Northern Hemisphere, it means a decrease in shop time as the great outdoors beckons.  But I hope you all have had a healthy and productive winter 'building season'.

Your woodworking is remarkable! Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

The main railings, along with the hances, volutes and beaded moldings have been completed:

post-56-0-87316800-1428761900_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-70510000-1428761920_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-27805000-1428761936_thumb.jpg

With the bulwarks (finally) sealed off, it's almost time to start on the planking of the quarterdeck.  But first we'll be adding some hatches, coamings and companionways.  

Hope everyone is feeling shipshape and being productive!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking really nice Augie. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice work Augie.... as always!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Fantastic work, Augie.   Other than that..; I'm pretty speechless.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks to all for stopping by.  

SAM -  No, no lighting planned.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

you've been holding out on us......      :D  :D    now that is some sweet looking moldings....very nice!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful job Augie. She really is starting to look as flash as a rat with a gold tooth!