Grecian 1812 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - protype build of US Baltimore Clipper Privateer Schooner

That's a brilliant build and a brilliant design! A stunning ship with those "go fast" lines. Thanks Jim and Chris - I'll seriously be considering adding the kit to my (so far...) meagre stash.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Well done Chris and James - another great kit!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Extreme lines, not your ‘thirteen in a dozen’ ship. What a sleek hull, and that extremely long bowsprit 😍! Very beautiful and certainly on my wish list, too! Thanks, James, for this sneak preview into the building manual 😉

Current build: privateer brig Mars

Completed: Sperwer (Billing Boats; 1st wooden model)
                      Batavia (Revell plastic kit)

Fantastic looking ship. Seek. I really like the colours. Flag looks great. US subject will be popular I would think. A kit I will definitely purchase.   

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

She looks fantastic. 

Does anyone know a good beginners resource or a log on here on how to copper a ship’s hull? In particular, how do you get the waterline cut straight? I’m very keen to build Grecian, but I need to master coppering. 

Many thanks 

Dan

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

4 minutes ago, DB789 said:

She looks fantastic. 

Does anyone know a good beginners resource or a log on here on how to copper a ship’s hull? In particular, how do you get the waterline cut straight? I’m very keen to build Grecian, but I need to master coppering. 

Many thanks 

Dan

The manual for this shows a couple of clear photos. All I did was run a single strip of tape along the keel, up against hull. From there I just added the plates in a brick fashion. That single run of tape can then later be scribed to fit the brick pattern. Add the tape plates above the waterline and then add a feint waterline over the copper. Use a fresh blade and cut along the line before removing the excess from above the waterline. 

1 hour ago, James H said:

The manual for this shows a couple of clear photos. All I did was run a single strip of tape along the keel, up against hull. From there I just added the plates in a brick fashion. That single run of tape can then later be scribed to fit the brick pattern. Add the tape plates above the waterline and then add a feint waterline over the copper. Use a fresh blade and cut along the line before removing the excess from above the waterline. 

Thanks Jim! 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Currently on step 69 of my Grecian.    Please note that the two parts noted in step 69  ( 57 and 58)   are labeled  58P   and 5SS on my 1mm wood sheet.       As a future upgrade it would have been nice to see a close up picture of the bow tapering at this point in order to get the proper taper and alignment at the bow.     (I did find a useful close up at step 115)