Grecian 1812 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - protype build of US Baltimore Clipper Privateer Schooner

I have been following without comment to date. It is a stunning ship and an unusual subject with its shallow bow and deep stern and raffish look. Extremely well done! And model ship builders should be interested in the variety that this model adds. The green hurts my eyes but I think that's because the reds of the English ships is steeped into my mind. USS Constitution has that green but I still struggle with it, even if historically accurate. But no matter - I am fascinated to see how this plays out which I'm sure will be very well!

cheers

A

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

2 minutes ago, aliluke said:

I have been following without comment to date. It is a stunning ship and an unusual subject with its shallow bow and deep stern and raffish look. Extremely well done! And model ship builders should be interested in the variety that this model adds. The green hurts my eyes but I think that's because the reds of the English ships is steeped into my mind. USS Constitution has that green but I still struggle with it, even if historically accurate. But no matter - I am fascinated to see how this plays out which I'm sure will be very well!

cheers

A

The green does take some getting used to! We took a lead on the colours from the USS Consitution. The belaying pin racks will be in natural, as will the bitts etc, but with white caps, so quite unusual. I'm coppering this thing at the moment. Well, I will as soon as I've had something to eat 😋

I've gone from liking this build to loving the ships and the appearance with this scheme. 

Colour schemes for the smaller vessels are usually speculative. This gives the modeller a few options to go their own way. Something like Grecian would look just as nice with no paint whatsoever, just varnished. Or you could use the black and yellow/ochre scheme for the outer hull and all red for the inner, and it would still look great.

I just wanted to depict Grecian as she may have appeared when in American service (although in reality, her armament was miserly compared to what I have given her), and using typical colours for that period. But this scheme is by no means set in stone, and you do not have to follow it, it is just one possible option of many.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

This looks like a great kit coming together!  Question maybe for Chris, I see the carronade beds that will be provided look to have a molded wheel arrangement vs the flat PE wheel arrangement that is currently available.  Will these be available to buy separate from the kit?  They look so much better.

DSC_2528.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I am working on making all carronade kits the same way with the new wheels, 12, 18, 24 and 36 pounder carronades. Indy already has them for her 42 pounders, now Grecian with the 18 pounders.

I am thinking of offering an 18 gun brig armament set, with 16 x 32 pounder carronades and 2 x 6 pounder long Blomefield cannon. The wheels are 3-d printed and are much better than the PE type.

logo.jpg

I'll do this update in 3 or 4 parts due to the number of photos showing the deck and bulwark fittings being added.

Here we go!

Most of these are self-explanatory, but let's take a look. First, as I've processed the pics, I've realised I didn't resize the coppering pics. I'll add those at the end (out of sequence).

In this photo, the rudder tiller has been added and the small deck section, plus the bread hatch.

DSC_2740.jpg

The ironwork is now fitted. This is one of the most time-consuming parts of fitting out. A nicer smattering of these around both the bulwarks and deck.

DSC_2741.jpg

And now the shot garlands.

DSC_2742.jpg

DSC_2743.jpg

Followed by cleats.

DSC_2744.jpg

Al those belaying racks need pins. These are PE, painted black and slotted into the racks. A little brushed varnish secures them.

DSC_2745.jpg

The garlands are now furnished with 1.5mm balls, again, glued into place with a brush of varnish.

DSC_2746.jpg

The catheads are a multipart assembly that allows for engravings on all faces. Very simple to build and these just slot though the bulwark holes with minimum effort.

DSC_2748.jpg

The pre-made fittings can now be added, starting with the skylight.

DSC_2749.jpg

The the grates/coamings, ladder etc.

DSC_2750.jpg

DSC_2751.jpg

DSC_2752.jpg

Capstan now present....

DSC_2753.jpg

DSC_2754.jpg

DSC_2755.jpg

More in a moment....

Continued.

More hatches...

DSC_2756.jpg

DSC_2757.jpg

And a small smoke stack.

DSC_2758.jpg

Mast bases now down before the deck gets too cluttered.

DSC_2759.jpg

DSC_2760.jpg

And now some of the other bitts (pun intended 😋)

DSC_2762.jpg

DSC_2763.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

DSC_2766.jpg

DSC_2768.jpg

DSC_2769.jpg

Grecian has a nicely 3d printed boat and here's the cradle which is now permanently glued in situ.

DSC_2770.jpg

The wheel is in, but the rudder tiller and wheel will be rigged for the next update in a couple of days.

DSC_2772.jpg

DSC_2774.jpg

No chain pumps on Grecian ;) Hand pumps are now fitted.

DSC_2776.jpg

...more in a moment.

And finally, for today.

Stanchions on ready for cord, which I'll add when I do the next update.

DSC_2777.jpg

Grecian comes with a LOT of choices for armament. Carronades feature heavily and paint is scraped away from where these are to be fitted. There is a small shelf on the exterior for the carronades, hence the paint removed.

DSC_2778.jpg

DSC_2779.jpg

Next two 6 pdrs and two 4 pdrs are added.

DSC_2781.jpg

Here is the supplied 3D boat, with timber parts, nicely painted by my friend Mark who does my figureheads and cabin furniture.

DSC_2538.jpg

DSC_2536.jpg

boat.png

DSC_2782.jpg

And here is what Grecian now looks like!

DSC_2803.jpg

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

It's chainplates etc. for next update, and maybe the bowsprit too.

Soon..

Wow, another great masterpiece made by Chris and Jim!

Grecian surely looks wonderful and I very much admire Jim's modelling skills (have I said that earlier on?)

I hope we will see pictures of the fully rigged Grecian (after all those square rigged ships... 😉)

Take care!
Uwe

Looks great. I have a question though. Wouldn't the binnacle be aft of the ships wheel so you can read the compass? As it is positioned it looks near impossible to do so. Either that or reverse the ships wheel mounting.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

The binnacle is placed forward of the wheel so the fellows standing at the wheel can see it.  He/they stand aft of the wheel, beside the drum, and look over the wheel, down onto the binnacle.

I did find the title "armed privateer" a little odd, as it implies the existence of "unarmed privateers"

The Grecian is a very nice subject for a model, not only as a Baltimore Clipper schooner, but for that humpty-dumpty rail.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

yet another lovely update

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Whoa! Must be nice to have a friend who does such excellent painting (though we all know that James has considerable skills himself in that department). That's one of the reasons I build card models -- some highly-skilled graphic artist gets to do my weathering for me!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I did promise a small update, so I can. now show the hull completed.

There are a few things on the deck that need a little rope. The main one is the rudder tiller which is wired up to the ship's wheel via a simple block system. Also needing rope are the ladder hatch opening and the ship's boat. 

DSC_2805.jpg

DSC_2806.jpg

The chainplates/strops on Grecian are single piece PE parts. These are prised apart to pop the deadeye into place before being closed up again with tweezers.

DSC_2804.jpg

There are only 14 deadeyes/shrouds on Grecian, making it a perfectly simple intro to ratlines. This will be a breeze to rig.

DSC_2808-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC_2809.jpg

Rudder chain installed...

DSC_2814.jpg

And now the completed hull photos. Next stage is masting.

DSC_2810.jpg

DSC_2811.jpg

DSC_2812.jpg

That is seriously cool! I've even changed my mind about the 'green' and like it now in the overall scheme. Grecian goes on my wish list from now on!

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 2 weeks later...

The final updates.

The last week has seen me build up the mast stuff and rig Grecian. She now sits complete on my bench. 

First up is the bowsprit. This is a very simple structure with hardly any tapering of parts. 

289.jpg

294.jpg

298.jpg

The assembly now slots to the hull and the gammoning is added.

299.jpg

300.jpg

Grecian doesn't have a spritsail yard, making her look quite sleek. Still lots of cord to rig this area though.

303.jpg

Mast work begins with the crosstrees. 

306.jpg

These are then slotted to the shaped lower mast sections, and then fitted out.

311.jpg

313.jpg

The mass are now added and the shroud lines attached. Once complete, they are tied down with even tension via deadeyes/lanyards.

314.jpg

315a.jpg

A card template is made to aid adding the ratlines. I have drawn lines on these, 6mm apart.

317.jpg

319.jpg

Upper shrouds are now fitted.

322.jpg

And then the rest of the timber is built up. Yards, spars.....whatever you want to call them. I knew at least one guy who thought it was a big deal.

323.jpg

324.jpg

326.jpg

The anchors are 3D printed and have pear stocks with cartridge paper for the iron bands. 

332.jpg

Very nicely done Jim.   And Chris that is a lovely design and subject for a kit.  It should be a very successful seller.

Chuck

wonderful work James, 

now go for that well deserved break, with the Indy rigging and thank you for what you have done

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Stunning!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

And a very nice job Jim has done on Grecian, too!

For the production kits, I have changed the anchor hawse to something a little smaller in diameter. I have just completed the build manual, and have only the box label to complete, which I shall do tomorrow, with all files being sent off on Monday for printing.

logo.jpg

What a great finish, James! And I agree with Chuck that this lovely kit should be a big hit, especially with those of us Yanks who have been clamoring for American subjects from VM.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane