Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

WOW!  A lot of people seem to think my idea of Model Expo using Bob's model for their Essex kit and paying him for it is a good idea.

Now we all have to is petition the ME folks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Bob,

Really nice work.

You're doing an outstanding job of taking the details from the kit and recreating them in better woods.

It’s a shame (as we’ve discussed) Expo didn’t let me include the deck framing as I had originally intended. But (it’s understandable) they have to pay attention to cost (both production and retail).

By the way are you using the framing drawings I sent you a while back that I did for the kit? As they were never produced I was wondering.

It seems there is a “call” for you to do a kit….

I’m currently just starting two for Expo. They’ll be announced in the near future.

There’s a number of different aspects you might want to get involved in;

Manual – ESSEX is 15 chapters (about 100) pages and over 250 photos. I actually wrote about 30 more pages (edited down) and took over a 1,000 pics. Of course we can only hope the printer doesn’t mess up the runs (twice) like they did with ESSEX.  I hope you’d be open though to taking the countless phone calls and emails helping out builders who were unfortunate enough to get a bad manual as I have.

Castings – Expo’s out-source company only destroyed all my masters once, so I only had to go back and start over once (at my expense).

Photo-Etch – The production company wasn’t bad to deal with depending on whether they thought they could produce the etch images. Funny thing is on a couple of occasions one rep told me they couldn’t do a part and believe it or not they had already produced it and it was installed on the proto-type already. I actually had to send them photos to prove it!

Drawings – do you know how to use a cad or drafting program?.................

Pay – After taking into account the 1,000’s of hours (literally needed) to design and produce a proto-type and it’s materials and manage the process, after taxes and out-of pocket expenses it comes down to a few dollars an hour………….. I’d be happy to split that with you.

Let me know – LOL!

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Bob,

Sorry - I forgot the obvious (if you're going to join the kit design team with me)

We can only hope that the developmental/progress parts and drawings aren't produced and included in the kit (on the wrong size stock to boot)!

Sucks when that happens (at least that's what I hear)............

Sam

Thanks for the helpful commentary Sam ( I think :huh: ). Seriously, I hope you don't think that I have ever harbored any such desire, particularly with regard to Essex. I will remain a happy model builder who appreciates your help and your praise.

Bob

Bob,

Nothing but praise. As I've said here a number of times your work is outstanding and I consider your example of ESSEX a vindication (of sorts) of the kit.

We all know that Expo isn't going to release a kit with high end woods (wouldn't even consider it) so it's great to see the design detail/aspects of the kit produced in better stock. And there are always design limitations based on production and retail costs.

There isn't a single kit available (not one) from anybody that can't be upgraded or improved upon. ESSEX is no different.

The offer to join the "Design Team" is just a little tongue in cheek humor.

I've often remarked that every builder should have to design a kit once in their life - they'd be much less inclined to comment on any kit after having done so. None the less there's always going to be a little "arm chair quarterbacking". That's what makes a community like MSW so great - the exchange of ideas and opinions from litteraly around the world.

The issues with ESSEX's production are well known and as the Designer I have to except responsibility (whether they are my issues or not). ESSEX was a "perfect storm" of sorts - a company in transition, a new designer (I had to take on a frigate no less - couldnt be some type of single pole fishing dingy - lol)

As with most things through experience I'm managing the new project(s) differently. Once the projects are public I'll chronicle the process (warts and all) here for all to see.

Keep up the great work Bob. As always if there's anything I can do let me know ( still have to get the figure head out to you - I haven't forgotten)

Stay well - Sam

Good clean and very accurate modeling Bob,

love that joining work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A few items of progress to report on. First, I added the minimal amount of deck planking that I'm going to do in the waist. As usual on this build, the planking is holly with pencil "caulking" and golden oak filler for "treenails". There is planking to frame the hatch and scuttle and to provide a base for the railings. 

Second, I made and installed the cap rail in the waist. This was done with boxwood strip bent to shape with a piece of half round molding glued to the outside edge and the assembly painted black. The molding extended beyond the cap rail and formed the first portion of the plank sheer molding. Third, I added the aft portion of the plank sheer molding, made from black painted half round. The forward portion won't be done until I do work on the head assemblies.

Next will be the hatch, barricade and ladders in the waist.

Bob

post-186-0-66903400-1403285934_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-65819400-1403285962_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15779300-1403285986_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-54112000-1403286006_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-95983400-1403286028_thumb.jpg

Thanks Michael. I wasn't sure, before starting, if I wanted to leave it this open or do a little more planking. I'm very pleased now with the look and don't intend to close it up any more.

Bob

Another few items completed in the waist. I've made and installed the hatch, the barricade and the two ladders.The hatch has a boxwood coaming and uses the kit laser cut grating. The barricade is made up from boxwood posts and the laser cut cross piece from the kit. Using the kit part simplified things considerably, because it has the square holes for the posts cut in it. I chose to paint this assembly black and pinned and glued it to the deck. The ladders are boxwood. 

This completes the work in the waist, with the exception of the waist rails which are very fragile and will be left for a later time. I'm now working on the quarter deck area, doing the limited deck planking and the bulwark planking.

Bob

post-186-0-70211200-1403520986_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77181300-1403521013_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-86977600-1403521036_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04458600-1403521070_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

It looks great (also I am running out of superlatives to describe your work)! What type or brand of paint did you use for your waist rail?

Thank you,

Tim

Thanks so much Tim and Frolick.

Tim, I have used the now mostly unavailable Pollyscale acrylics for years. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do when my current supply runs out.

Bob

All I can say is "Wow!" You are pretty much confirming my eventual build of this kit. I cannot recall, but is your deck and framing supplied wood or upgraded? The decks look like Holly and not sure of framing wood

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Everything looks fantastic Bob, Superbly crisp, clean and accurate.

I didn't know you can't get Pollyscale paint anymore. I'm running low on my stocks  :(.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)