Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Nice catch on those pumps.  That full length overhead shot is spectacular, Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I sat down last night to read this log all the way through.  After two glasses of wine I was still reading.  Wow!  I hope one day I have your skill.  My next model is a bashed Mamoli Rattlesnake, in many ways similar to your build of the Essex,  so I thought I could get some tips from a master craftsman!  I will be trying your tree nail method and if I ever copper a ship I will refer back to this too.  When I see your skill and look the planking on my current build the Pride of Baltimore II, well lets just say I still have a lot to learn.  Thanks for this great log it is a treasure trove of information of how to do it tips, tricks, and techniques for many like me who are mere apprentice craftsman. 

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Been a while since I checked in on your Essex.  Its looking A-Ok Bob.  Framing those decks is a lot of fun...

I am looking at those images though and have a question,  did you give the quarter deck beams and forecastle deck beams a camber?  I remember when I started building her many moons ago..The decks had quite a bit of camber from what I remembered, its hard to tell from the photos but they look flat or is it just an optical illusion?   With no camber the fittings along the center of the gun deck might look very tall.  I am wondering if the absence of camber is what I am seeing.

Sam sure did add a lot of nice detail to those deck fittings.  At that scale is great to see a kit show them all.  They look great Bob,  you are almost done for crying out loud....you work quick.

Chuck

Thanks for looking in Chuck. Two things on the deck camber: First, using the kit bulkheads, the gun deck is dead flat. Any noticeable camber on the quarter and forecastle decks looks odd. Second, reference to the section drawings in AOTS Essex (there are no section drawings in the kit plans), shows that at small scale the camber is barely visible without use of a straight edge. My choice was to keep the upper decks consistent with the gun deck. 

With regard to the kit deck fittings, I really can't comment because I have scratch built them from boxwood. BTW, I have enjoyed using your blocks and rigging line in doing the gun rigging and expect to use them for all the rigging.

Although we retirees get a lot of modeling time in, I'm afraid that "almost done" isn't quite the case. I expect a few months more on the hull, and then there will be the masting and rigging.

Bob

Hi Bob, Again a first rate job on the deck framing and good catch on the pumps. Even knowing the scale I

sometimes forget how small some of the deck pieces are and then you put the penny in there and it seems

huge!  Great work and explanations! :)

Also "almost" done for me is the portion or part I'm working on at that moment. Keeps me from thinking about

the 1-2 years I may have in a single project. :huh:  ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Yeah that would be fun but you would not want to put that baby in your lap! :o 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Bob, just checking back in after being away for a while.  Your Essex is really coming along, I love all the little details you've added.  Keep up the good work sir!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Bob - take my hat off to you for persevering with this kit - trying not to let this taint my view of the kit once they solve all the production issues.  You're really proving you can work through the challenges with beautiful results.  I'll definitely be watching from here onwards.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

In my last update, I had made and fitted, but not installed, the main jeer bitts. They are now mounted. I have also made and mounted the main topsail sheet bitts. The other new items are the forward cranks for the chain pumps and their supports. As with the other deck fittings, the wood parts are boxwood . The cranks are blackened brass wire and the belaying pins in the bitts are blackened brass parts. As with the aft cranks, I chose to simplify them by merely bending the wire, rather than attempting a multi part assembly at this scale.

I'm now working on the next batch of guns.

Bob

post-186-0-55951200-1400157035_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74213000-1400157056_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04385400-1400157082_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06445600-1400157104_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40516400-1400157130_thumb.jpg

Excellent work Bob!!! B)  B) Just a quick question,have you tried the B.Casey brass black on any soldered parts yet?I have given up with the Carrs stuff,not overly impressed,but they do a different blackener for solder,just wondered if this would do both.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks so much Tim, Ben and Nigel. 

Sorry Nigel, I haven't tried the Birchwood Casey on any soldered parts and have no idea how, or if, it works on them.

Bob

Exceptional work Bob. She's turning into a jewel.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Looking good Bob. Excellent work as usual.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Four more guns made up, mounted and rigged -- only four more to go on the gun deck. I can't imagine doing this on a 74. As usual, I added the deck ringbolts. I also ran the anchor cables into the open hatch and added a piece of grating in an open position. Lastly, I tied off the fore lower sheets to their bulwark cleats since they will be unreachable when the deck framing goes on.

Bob

post-186-0-32395200-1400327739_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-64540700-1400327764_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56435000-1400327786_thumb.jpg