Cyclone-Class Destroyer 1902 by Valeriy V - scale 1:45 - Russian Imperial Navy

26 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Valeriy,

can you tell me what kind of propulsion engine the original boat had. Was it already an early turbine engine ?

thankyou

Nils

Nils, this destroyer had an ordinary steam engine.

I told some details at the beginning of the previous page. :);) 

Valeriy,

I saw a part of a movie titled "Admiral" on YouTube. It was a battle between a Russian vessel and a larger German ship. The Russian ship looked a lot like the destroyer model you are making. It was a very well made movie sequence. Have you seen it?

Phil

5 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Valeriy,

I saw a part of a movie titled "Admiral" on YouTube. It was a battle between a Russian vessel and a larger German ship. The Russian ship looked a lot like the destroyer model you are making. It was a very well made movie sequence. Have you seen it?

Phil

Phil,
  I saw this film as soon as it came out in theaters. Unfortunately, it is very far from the historical truth, both in terms of the film’s script and scenery.

Only the names of the movie characters are true in it. :wacko:

The photo shows a barge that was decorated for filming.

11-3144646-big-5-313 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

The last photograph seems to show an officer painting a funnel !?

Yes, judging by the shoulder straps, this is an officer of the most junior rank of midshipman. And most likely this young man is just fooling around and posing for the camera. :) 

The sailor in the background of the photo is doing real painting work.

12 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Well, weren't midshipmen not put through almost all mundane shipboard tasks as well so that that they better understand what they will be commanding later?

Yes, of course, but not in this case. In the photo, the midshipman is wearing a white jacket but not work clothes.

Below I show a photo of what an officer should look like in a working uniform. ;) 

№ 218.jpg

Great photos, V. Please post as many of those as you want to. 

7 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

The most reliable source of information is photographs!  :) 

These photographs show Cyclone-class destroyers.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Best source are photos.....until AI entered the market. I feel a growing doubt in their reliability but hope that our hobby ist not prone to this technology.

2 hours ago, cotrecerf said:

I feel a growing doubt in their reliability

You got that right. I wish I had a dollar for every shared picture I've seen in the last year or so that featured an "amazing" but obviously doctored animal image. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Valeriy,

You are right about the photos. During a ship's service a lot of modifications can be made, but most are not documented. If we have plans they are usually for the initial design. A few years after there may be a lot of modifications.

In some cases it may never be clear exactly when changes were made. In an early photo the modifications are not there, and a photo from a few years later shows them. However, in some cases we can be more certain. While working on my OK City model I found two photos made a day apart, with an obvious change in the later photo. It is rare to be able to pin down a date with that accuracy!

Edited by Dr PR

shipman,

My thoughts exactly! My first ship was a 112 foot inshore minesweeper USS Cape MSI-2. It bounced around like a cork in heavy seas.  We walked (or crawled) on the deck, bulkheads, passage walls, whatever, hanging on for dear life all the time. The open bridge submerged occasionally when we dove into waves, and we had water sloshing over our feet for the entire watch. 112 feet (34 meters) is FAR too small to be out on the ocean!!

The Cyclone class destroyers were only 45 meters (147 feet)! Still too small in my opinion!!!

Edited by Dr PR

• 1 month later...

Lovely brass work Valeriy

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

Valeriy,

Aluminum torpedo boxes:  An interesting use for what was then a relatively new refined metal.  I don’t know about Europe but the first large scale Aluminum  reduction plant was only built in the USA in 1891; seven years after Charles Hall developed the basic process.  Was topside weight actually that much of a concern?

Roger

On 10/12/2023 at 5:57 AM, wefalck said:

Well, weren't midshipmen not put through almost all mundane shipboard tasks as well so that that they better understand what they will be commanding later?

Well, at least “observed” mundane shipboard tasks……😎

Hi Valeriy,

what a beautiful work.

I have a question: your hatches show hinges on all dides, and  post #130 shows ‘unhinged’ hinges. Was it possible to choose the direction in which these hatches opened? And also: the parts between the hinges, are those to bolt down the hatches while at sea?

Jan

Edited by amateur