Cyclone-Class Destroyer 1902 by Valeriy V - scale 1:45 - Russian Imperial Navy

I am glad to welcome all members of the forum again! :) 

My new topic will be dedicated to the Cyclone-class destroyer. It was built by the Nevsky Zavod in St. Petersburg in 1902.

Displacement: 152.4 tons

Length: 45 m

Width: 4.9 m

Draft aft: 2.5 m

Armament:

2 - 47 mm (1.9 in) guns

1× 2 torpedo tubes 356 mm

0.jpg

In total, 10 ships of this type were built at two Russian shipyards. The ancestor of this series was the French destroyer "Cyclone" designed and built by the company "Augustin Norman".

In 1899, Russia purchased from O. Norman a complete set of drawings necessary for the construction of ships.

However, before construction began, the following changes were made to the project:

- reinforced steel case set

- increased hull width by 0.16m to improve stability

- one double-tube torpedo tube was installed instead of two single-tube ones

- changed layout of living quarters.

The following photo shows the French destroyer Cyclone.

French torpedo boat Cyclone.jpg

I made it to the party on time, that's got to be a first for me. Valeriy, I'm looking forward to watching your new build take shape.   

I'm pulling up a chair also.   Love your subjects and builds, Valerly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Valeriy,

I am glad to see your are back at work! These destroyers are from a period of rapid change in the design and role of the destroyer. I certainly will be following your build. I always learn from your work.

Great to see you back again Valeriy and starting work on your next masterpiece.  These early “Steam Navy” models are interesting  and challenging to build.  From a Naval Architecture/ Marine Engineering standpoint I consider them to be far more interesting than the Nelson era sailing war ships.  Hull forms, Construction materials, Structural designs, Weapons systems, and Power plants were all evolving. 

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

I've been hoping to see you begin a new model Valeriy, and what an interesting subject it is.  I look forward to following along and I wish you the best of luck in constructing it.  I already know it will be amazing.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Very interesting Valeriy. I would have been tempted to go for a larger scale.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks everyone! :) 

I hope that my work will justify and not disappoint your interest in it.

From the point of view of ship modeling, this project is interesting in that the small length of the hull allows the use of a large scale. At the same time, the saturation of weapons and ship accessories contains a large number of small details, which, in combination with a large scale, can give an excellent result.

Back on board too! I admire your tenacy and optimism in these difficult times.

Why did you opt for the somewhat odd scale of 1:45? OK, it's model railway scale, but awkward to calculate (in the head).

You already made quite good progress on the hull. How long did it take you for that?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

40 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Back on board too! I admire your tenacy and optimism in these difficult times.

Thank you! While I have the opportunity, I try to distract myself with work. :) 

42 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Why did you opt for the somewhat odd scale of 1:45? OK, it's model railway scale, but awkward to calculate (in the head).

I wanted to build a model within 1 meter. The length of the ship was 45m, so the scale is 1:45.

It took about 10 days to make the case shown in the photo.

15 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

From the point of view of ship modeling, this project is interesting in that the small length of the hull allows the use of a large scale. At the same time, the saturation of weapons and ship accessories contains a large number of small details, which, in combination with a large scale, can give an excellent result.

Valeriy, I think you described perfectly what can be done at 1/45th scale or 1/48th scale.

Is this model also commissioned by a collector?

Yves

8 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Is this model also commissioned by a collector?

Yves, this model has neither a customer nor a buyer yet. But one day everything can change.  :);) 

8 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

This diagonal planking is interesting and intriguing. I will have to do one hull with this technique, one day. 

It should be borne in mind that this technology is more suitable for hulls with smooth contours like yachts. ;) 

Impressive start Valeriy - and very quick.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Valeriy,

What is the object projecting from the bottom of the hull near the bow? This is far too early for sonar or other listening devices.

54 minutes ago, Dr PR said:

Valeriy,

What is the object projecting from the bottom of the hull near the bow? This is far too early for sonar or other listening devices.

Phil, in this case the explanation is very simple. This is a nose rudder feather, if necessary, it could be raised inside the hull, into a special well. :)