Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

thanks Piet..........I feel much better  :)    thanks for think'in of me.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Denis

Nice deck work...but then, I shouldn't be surprised, because your work's always top notch.

I'm glad that you're ok. I betcha you won't be having onion and garlic chips again?

The dingo boots story is a good one, too!

All the best and stay well.

Cheers

Patrick

thanks Patrick........it feels good to be done with the deck.   as luck would have it,  I got my order from billing's today....another 50 strips of 0.7 x 5 mm Annegre.  :)   oh.......I don't thing that the chips were the culprit.....besides,  I love the little buggers  :)    

as mentioned,  I did a little bit yesterday.   this pertains to the decking around the helm room.   I want to do a sort of railing, but perhaps a bit differently than what I used to.   I have a few sheets of 1/8 flat stock,  that I want to use up......I don't use it too often.   I cut a strip of it a bit lower than the bow deck railing.   three pieces created this...

post-612-0-41953800-1462561617.jpg

rounding the corners off and cementing it in place,  the structure deck now looks like this.

post-612-0-53533800-1462561699.jpg

post-612-0-76980500-1462561711.jpg

I really should have painted it before cementing it in place........but when I was done..........

post-612-0-00944800-1462561775.jpg

taking some 1.8 x 4 mm strip stock,  I was able to cap it off.  the corners were rounded off as well.

post-612-0-80457300-1462561956.jpg

post-612-0-90722100-1462561970.jpg

with the structure in place on the boat.......it give a unique perspective.

post-612-0-05522200-1462562101.jpg

a section was assembled to fill in the port side.  this will either be cemented to the fore deck,  or I'll wait till the structure is cemented in place permanently,  before it is put on.

post-612-0-51839700-1462562269.jpg

post-612-0-73309800-1462562288.jpg

I left a bit of rail sticking out of the last stanchion,  so it would mate up with the solid railing.   the attention now,  will turn to the starboard side,  where I have something a little different in mind.

post-612-0-72412500-1462562577.jpg

post-612-0-73604000-1462562589.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You just keep the surprises coming, Denis.  Lovely work on that decking and railing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Denis,

you did a good job on the deck planking...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Denis

Deck looks pretty good, and the houses too!

Fine Job Done............

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

thank you all very much  :)   sorry to say I haven't done much else........work pulls me away.  I have something in my head that will do nicely.........I just have to convert it into wood.   this rainy spell we've been under has got to come to an end....I hope it's soon.

thanks also to everyone who hit the like button  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yippee!  the work week has ended!   :)   I have been thinking about this all week end.   I got up at 5:30 this morning......I have some chores to do.   but,  before I do the drudgery,  I'm going to have some fun   ;)   taking a 1.8 x 8 mm strip,  I took some eyeball measurements,  and got to work on it.   the space I need to fill is here,  on the starboard side.

post-612-0-06607100-1462894200.jpg

after cutting one side,  the other side was made.........the treads will be 1/2 inch.

post-612-0-00445500-1462894301.jpg

the treads were then glued to one side of the stairs........later sanded so they will all be equal,  for when the other side is glued on.

post-612-0-38946200-1462894430.jpg

the notch at the top will fit over the lip along the fore deck.   the rest of the ladder was assembled.......the railing wall on the left side will be this short piece.......enough to bring the ladder part more toward the center of the gap.   it was fitted in place at this time.......a little spot of CA was used to cement the wall to the side of the ladder.   any excess that sticks out past the wall,  will be cut off and sanded flush with the ladder.

post-612-0-67399000-1462894891.jpg

the other side wall was cut and fitted at this time.   later,  after it was sanded and trimmed......the short deficit was filled in with square stock.......and that too was sanded flush and smooth.   the whole assembly was sanded,  and the cap rails were cut and glued on.    more sanding........

post-612-0-09782700-1462895269.jpg

post-612-0-48533700-1462895283.jpg

here you can see the parts that I'm  referring too.......they stick out past the walls.   this will be removed.

post-612-0-43801100-1462895344.jpg

the excess was cut off.......and more sanding was done to flush out the stubbles.    the cap rails were rounded to take the edges off.

post-612-0-14708700-1462895557.jpg

the rest of the railings need to be sanded a bit more to round them out as well.   fitting the assembly in place,  I can see that I will have to trim the structure railing a bit more,  but as a whole,  it all fits together quite well.   when I can do the color paint work,  then the structure and the walls can be cemented in place permanently.   still a bit more to do th the structure itself.

post-612-0-05551700-1462895882.jpg

post-612-0-76553900-1462895899.jpg

post-612-0-38669800-1462895911.jpg

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work Popeye!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

thanks Gerhard and Patrick.......thanks also for the likes :)    I got a chance to do the primer work on the stairs.   

post-612-0-57151400-1462916156.jpg

post-612-0-58931700-1462916169.jpg

post-612-0-44186700-1462916183.jpg

now that the railing is done,  I can pull the structure back off to do a few more things before the color goes on.   I want to get the cap railings on the bulwarks,  before the hull gets painted.   better weather is here........I should have more free time tomorrow.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin......and thanks for the likes every one  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Jack  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's really coming together and looking good.  But that's to be expected from such a fine builder. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob.......very kind of you.  there are many who are way better than me........I just like to have fun  ;)

my keyboard died today.......developed  a bad case of sticky keys.    .........guess you can't drop an English muffin with marmalade on it..  cheap US crap!

:D  :D    :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:  :cheers:  :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lovely work Denis.

We have to be good to our keyboards, and to feed them from time to time. My keyboard likes coffee. Real coffyboard

:D

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nicely done Popeye Denis, stairs look very functional.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks everyone for the kind word.......I saw all the comments.  my goodness....thank a heap!   I wish I had an update for ya.......problem is,  it was so nice out today,  I got hung up doing yard work.  I should have more free time on my hands tomorrow.   thanks again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've missed so much! I don't even know where to begin Popeye. Lovely work of course!

Though I have to say - I may have underestimated your level of obsession until I say the number of frames and hulls laying about! ;-)

-Bug

:D  :D ........that's only part of 'em bug.........I'm hopeless  ;)  :D    I guess my inner child thinks I started too late in life......and it's trying to catch up.  either that,  or I'm too imaginative for my own good  :D   the admiral doesn't mind though.......she likes the wooden ones better than the plastic kits i used to build.

I have another six years and six months to go before I can retire..........I'll still have plenty to do when I get there  ;)

thanks for look'in in and the good word!   so good to see you  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am as well John.........I no sooner get caught up..........put my head to the table...........look again........and find I'm just as buried as I was before!   at the moment,  I'm play'in with a few ideas......and doing yard work  {UGH}.   nothing really to show for progress yet..........but if things go the way I want them to,  the results should be startling {best word I can think of for it}  :)

thanks for looking in and the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I can't believe I'm saying this..............I've sunk to a new level of lunacy.   after looking and dwelling on the tree boat at the point that it is,  I really can't see her as the Tree Boat.  everything I think of........anything I want to add........will take it further away from the subject.   it wants to be a fishing boat.....so be it.........*POOF!*...........you are a fishing boat.   sorry to do this.........I feel bad.   I just think that continuing with this hull........would be a terrible waste.  I sat there at my desk......pondering what the next move will be.   all I have now is an over grown party boat {the Jingle Belle}.  all is not lost though.....or is it?

after I had posted the last group of pictures,  I was musing........mulling over some options.   it all came down to this one option.......I would need another hull to replace it.   oh........before I get into this further,  the displaced Tree Boat will continue........I am NOT trashing it,  in any way,  shape,  or form.   it will become a fishing boat.......I have a name for her soon.

anyway.........I recalled the pictures I had posted a while ago.........errrrr...quite a while ago.   I'd love to know where these pictures were taken.....I got 'em off the internet.   there weren't than many.......mostly about the Rouse Simmons........lots of photos of boats with a tree stuck in the middle,  out in the open water.   this boat looks like a lobster boat........so to cut the chit chat short........that's what I went with.   I still have the plans for the Midwest Maine Lobster boat.  

post-612-0-31107500-1464199616.jpeg  post-612-0-40522800-1464199644.jpeg

so......I'm going to do what I probably should have done from the beginning.   I'm going to mod the bow a little...not so much of a tapered 'V'.   I decided to  cut a few corners to speed up the assembly.........all the best of intentions,  but not so great as an idea.   there are so many problems.........the stern bore the  brunt of it.   one look and you'll clearly see why I nicknamed the boat 'the Frankenstein boat'.   I gave the hull a longer cockpit deck........that meant that the stern transom was made narrower.   I even double walled it.   it didn't look right,  so I flipped them over {it's OK........you can laugh at any time}.   the result gave me a very odd looking stern.........I cobbled and filled in most of it.....I'll shape it later.   I'll  cover both sides with some flat stock after.........so it's not a total loss.   I have pictures.......not a complete blow by blow,  by enough to make your eyes water {I'd bust out crying too,  if it wasn't so funny}.  so if ya want to see 'em,  let me know....if not,  I'll introduce the boat when it looks more presentable.   but if you were the kid that enjoyed sticking pins in your sister's dolls........just say the word  ;)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Of course we want to see them. This isn't a ship model site, its a ship modeling site  :P.

Really, I am interested in your surgical prowess, so to speak.