Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Remco, Steve, Joe, and Row thanks for your very kind remarks. Thanks to all who pressed the like button as well.

I finished up the clamp ring today and made the actuating lever to open and close the ring, it is quite tiny but was manageable. in order to get the widths that I wanted quickly I spun up a disc on the lathe, bored out the centre hole on the lathe then stood up the rod with the disc still attached in the vice on the mill and offset the other hole .156" then took it back to the lathe and parted it off then used the jewelers saw to cut out the crank.

post-202-0-57013700-1418708533_thumb.jpg

Then cleaned it up with some files, then polished it up to a rouge finish and beveled the hub to create the cam.

post-202-0-63910300-1418708534_thumb.jpg

Here it is set in position with the spring loaded bolt in the open position the width of the flanges at the bolt are .290"

post-202-0-30644600-1418708536_thumb.jpg

And here with the lever in the closed position the width of the flange at the bolt is .250" locking the gearbox casing.

post-202-0-00715700-1418708538_thumb.jpg

This is how it works

next the rear cam locking collar.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

This is a beautiful mechanism, simplicity and elegance. I get how all of it works except the "spline" made from the socket head screw, what's that about?

Steve the spline is for actuating the clamp so that the prop shaft is fixed to the casing or free to revolve have a look at this page

the image shows the keys on the prop shaft because I cannot make these keys i used a slpine instead and with use the spine collar to clamp in the same way as the plates in the clutch.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Right, it is a dog clutch. It all makes perfect sense now. 

Can you tell I love old mechanisms?

I can't add any knew words, Micheal, but the like button just seems completely inadequate.  Beatiful design.  Beautiful workmanship.  Can't wait to see it running.

Ed

I have to echo EdT's words.  Michael, superb !  And the video is very informative, thanks for including it.

Ed, and Jack, thank you for your kind comments. and for all who added likes.

I had to make a new band clamp because the tabs were not wide enough to bolt it to the pan. the new one was machined from a solid ring and then a lot of fiddling and filing to get it to spring just right.

post-202-0-81013500-1418886714_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-73289300-1418886715_thumb.jpg

I also whipped up a flywheel because it is tough on my fingertips turning the 1/8th shaft all the time to test stuff.

post-202-0-45816900-1418885105_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24120700-1418885104_thumb.jpg

Today I worked on the clutch, it was a bit of a design build affair following the general principles, the gearbox and clutch will be underneath the cover so only the top of the linkage and the lever will need to be as accurate as possible to keep the appearance of the engine looking as the full size engine.

I abandoned the cap screw hex and made a hex broach from a 3/16 allen key. first I heated it up and let it cool slowly to take the hardness out of it, then cut a taper on one end of the hex. Next I added the beveled slots to create the cutting faces. I ended up making a second one because I forgot to temper the first one after re hardening it, it cut the first hex through about a half inch length of brass stock, and then I tried a longer piece of brass and it shattered into three.

post-202-0-48225600-1418885033_thumb.jpg

Pushing the second one with the vice rather than using the hammer which is how I managed to wreck the first one.

post-202-0-67479400-1418885034_thumb.jpg

At the back end of the broach I reduced the diameter before it was hardened so that I could part off the disks one at a time, as the broach was forced through, each time the broach reached the end I put it back in the lathe parted off another disc

post-202-0-84318000-1418885035_thumb.jpg

Next I turned a few discs of mild steel off a blank that had been pre drilled for the keeper rods. the steel discs are 5/8 diameter and .020 thick the brass plates are 5/16 diameter and .040 thick. the steel discs will be fixed to the gearbox and rotate about the hex the hex will be pinned to the prop shaft and the brass plated will spin with the hex

post-202-0-94192300-1418885036_thumb.jpg.

Here they are test fitted for size, the wide brass collar is also keyed to the prop shaft and will be the pushing element to squeeze the plates together.

post-202-0-10106000-1418885038_thumb.jpg

Time for bed

Michael

It's beginning to really look like an engine, Michael you're doing things I can only dream of. And it's beautiful.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow !

Michael I am highly impressed of your skills, your manyfold wisdom and knowledgement for both boatbuilding and combustion engine building. Somehow and with much regret I missed to look into this build log of yours, it is worth every post, most interesting and a delight to study. Do you have a machinery Workshop career ?

I presume that you will be operating this Buffalo 2Hp engine per RC control, with the Launch and can hardly wait to see it in action

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Michael,

As has been said before, simply hitting the 'like' button just doesn't do justice to your phenomenal skills. But then neither do the words I can think of to pass on my admiration for your work so I'll keep it simple:

WOW!!

Once again, many congratulations for achieving what many of us would consider to be impossible.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Bob, Druxey and Nils thank you all for your kind comments, they are very encouraging, makes all the re do's worth while.

And not forgetting all the people who added a like.

Do you have a machinery Workshop career

Nils, Not exactly, I have been making stuff though for a long time, and as a commercial model-builder and designer I had a lot of projects that gave me the opportunity to learn new skills. I have learned from my mistakes what works and what has not. I had good teachers at school, who encouraged a genuine curiosity for learning how to do things for myself.

My woodwork teacher taught me how to sharpen tools.

The first machine that I purchased was a Myford lathe back in 1971, I learn new things about how it works every day it seems.

Michael

Row, thanks, we must have been posting at the same time, your comment is greatly appreciated. 

Michael

I was wondering the same thing that Greg mentioned.  Your output and quality is amazing.   This goes way beyond a "like" button.  It's a masterpiece.

Edit.. I needed to find out what the broaching was about.. now I know:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broaching_(metalworking)

Your builds are an education unto themselves.  Thanks for that also.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have to join in/agree with the two former posts. I'd like to add that it is fun to watch the progress and every time I'm looking forward to your next 'surprise posting'. It's wonderful to see it/them grow

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Michael, this is becoming a master class in metal work. I don't even understand some of the things you are doing, but watching how you make the parts is fascinating.

Mark

Greg, Mark, Carl and Mark thanks for your encouraging comments about my work, and again to all who have appreciated it quietly.

Moving forward to the control of the clutch I have started to make the forward reverse lever. This lever will need to have some ability to be adjusted.To give just the right amount of pressure to the clutch spring. The geometry of the fulcrum points is critical.

The strength of the coil spring is also one of the items that might need a few reworks to get right as well. The whole physics of springs and their construction is no doubt a science, but from my practical point of reference, a trial and error method will have to suffice. So I will see if it works.

I rummaged through the scrap box until I found the right bit of brass to cut the lever out of. I used the vernier height gauge to lay out the shape, then pre-drilled all the holes while it was rectangular this makes it much easier to get them square to each other.

post-202-0-70191000-1419090131_thumb.jpg

the cutting was done with a fine blade in the jewelers saw. I have already started to file the surfaces to the final shape.

post-202-0-11232300-1419090135_thumb.jpg

The keeper rods are now set into the gearbox these were turned up from some free machining 1/8th inch hex stock, at first I left the heads as a hex bolt but they were too big and interfered with the pressure collar. so turned them into cheesehead screws. the spring was wound from some .020 music wire, I used the number drill series of drills as the arbor to find the correct size to finish up with a 3/16th internal bore the third attempt produced the correct diameter, it was a number 21 drill.

post-202-0-53252900-1419090133_thumb.jpg

The lower pivot point to which the lever connect to will be mounted on the back wall of the oil pan below the prop shaft, and will be able to be threaded forwards and backwards to give the adjustment.

post-202-0-87316100-1419090136_thumb.jpg

There will be a connecting link from the lever to the clamp on top of the clamp ring.

Michael

Thanks for the likes.

I used a trick I employed when filing up connecting rods on my model steam locomotive, and that is to use a hardened button as a filing guide.

post-202-0-06378100-1419118570_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-27397400-1419118571_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-26460300-1419118572_thumb.jpg

The top of the handle ended up being hand filed I had originally intended to turn it in the lathe by holding the lever in the four jaw chuck, it caught and bent so after straightening it I used needle files sandpaper and steel wool to clean it up.

post-202-0-22290700-1419118574_thumb.jpg

Michael

Absolutely beautiful design and workmanship there Michael. It all makes perfect sense and is such a simple elegant concept typical of the age.

On a side note, just looking at that heavy flywheel supported by quite a thin crankshaft, are you concerned about the weight of the flywheel forcing the crank out of true over extended periods of non use? I have no experience with such small machines so I realise it may never be an issue but I know the diesel engines my brother works on must be kept rotating by way of an electric motor even when not in use otherwise the cranks will sag and they then have to run them with the motor for a week or so to get the crank true again before they can start it.

Looks great Michael,

I`m not sure if you mentioned it before, but is the engine foreseen for running on fuel ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

beautiful work as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Mark, thanks, once I get this gearbox working smoothly I can move on to the pistons and con rods.

Steve, yes the simplicity of the early machinery does have some advantages in the smaller scales, thanks for you compliments. Regarding the bending of the shaft I had not considered it, and am not going to worry about it.

Carl, thanks it took a while to get it looking well.

Nils, I am thinking that it will run on the fuel used for glow plug engines or Colman camp fuel.

Bob thanks.

Thanks for all the folk who added likes.

I will be doing some more tinkering with the link and lever today.

Michael

I have got the gearbox to the point where I can now move on to the driving portion of this engine namely the pistons and associated gubbins.

post-202-0-48213800-1419452328_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-31016500-1419452330_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35861600-1419452332_thumb.jpg

First I needed to machine up some blank pistons these are .311" (7.89mm) in diameter and .372" (9.52mm) high

these were then set into a fixture to drill the wrist pin holes and to machine the squarish hole inside.

post-202-0-20281400-1419452338_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-05789300-1419452337_thumb.jpg

they are fiddly little things to work with, popping the O ring on is easy getting the ring off is another story.

post-202-0-58686200-1419452333_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-62444000-1419452334_thumb.jpg

they slide up and down nicely in the cylinder head.

post-202-0-89162700-1419452335_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone

michael

Michael,

What material did you make them from. It looks like aluminium, but I can hardly imagine that will stand the tooth of time considering the job it is expected to do.

You and you family, have a marvelous Xmas and a healthy and happy new year

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark thanks.

Carl most of the model engines use aluminum pistons including the ones that I saw in the ship engines thread that I linked to.

Merry Christmas everyone

awesome progress Michael.......very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch