Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Hi Mark, I have been absent from the forum for quite a while on holiday.  I have just had the pleasure of reading your updates (and significant life events :)); great progress at your usual high standards.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Beer-o-clock, wine-o-clock, drink with an umbrella in it-o-clock... works for me today. :)

Greg, actually I'm not counting those days at all... I'm counting the days until I can retire. ;)

Hmm.... I wanted to "like" all your posts, but I got this (direct quote from the error message)  "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".. strange... didn't know we could do that.

Yes, I believe the limit is about 30 likes/24 hours.  I surmise the likes/friends aspects come from the social media world which I avoid like the plague.  It does have it's uses though ---- heck, I even like Sjors   :D  :D  :D  :P

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello Mark, ;)

Finally, I found some time to start browsing some logs. First of all - WELL DONE - nice piece of timber work indeed. As I always say, I am not into period vessels. I once started off with the Billing's Wasa, and stopped half way through, as I would like to detail the interior. But I can surely recognise good work, and you Mark, are a master in the making.

Secondly, I wish you a delayed Happy Birthday, and many happy returns and lots of ship modelling sessions.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Thanks gentlemen.  I hope to have a real update in the near future.

Augie,

You might be right.  I managed to miss Myspace and am diligently avoiding Facebook.  :)  I do like the "like" button here though. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looking forward to the next pictures - your build log is worthy of my 1000 th post

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

Boy... am I ever slow.  Life, work, and getting things set up to retire have all taken their toll.  :)

One of the first things I had to do was make a new zero tolerance insert for the table saw.  The old plastic one finally gave up the ghost.  So... after some fiddling with metal and plastic, I grabbed some scrap wood and had at it.

post-76-0-11403700-1374904094_thumb.jpg

Then it was back to cutting planks and planking. I have only one side and small part of that done.  From the wale line up to the channel wale on the port side.  Needs to have the channel wale added and then sand like crazy and finish opening and tidying up the gunports. 

post-76-0-80414600-1374904092_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that's not your optical illusions.....that picture is right side up  :)   nice to see her above it jig line!   it may look like a small step,  but compared to all you've done so far......it's huge.   planking's looking good,  and looking forward in seeing more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great to have you up and running again.  Very nice indeed.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Glad you've finally found some time for yourself in the shipyard Mark. She's looking great!

just lovely, one day - im going to have a go at that, and if it only looks 1/2 as good as that ill be a happy wabbit

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks for the warm words. It's good to be able to spend some quality time in the shipyard.

I've hit a bit of a dilemma....  chain wales, sheer strake,  and gunport linings.

The plans show the chain wale and by inference, the sheer strake as being contoured (red arrows).  The photos of Hahn's build show them as being more of a square cross-section. 

Also, the pictures of the build show the gunports as being unlined (blue arrow).  I've looked at other French ship models and I'm seeing a mixed bag here.  No consistency.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post-76-0-32177900-1374952899_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-91907000-1374952899_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fantastic job Mark she looks great,it'll be a big day when you take her off the jig,Happy retirement and b/day,wish i could as well but not yet for me.Ron.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Excellent planking work, Mark, she's looking great :)

Regarding the sheer strakes/chain wales, I would personally go with the contoured shape shown on the plan since contemporary plans are sort of my "default reference", plus majority of contemporary models I've seen ( of mostly English ships unfortunately) show them contoured, and most importantly, I think they look cool that way ;) :

http://s3.amazonaws.com/magnoliasoft.imageweb/nmm/supersize/l2414-007.jpg

Sorry I can't be of much help on the gunport linings, my references also show mixed pictures on this one  :wacko:

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Mark,

I'm inclined to agree with Aldo.  Plus, if there is not a definitive reference, then "Captain's Choice" is automatically invoked!  ;)

Thanks guys.

Aldo, the pic shows a square section chain wale.... I think.  And French ships had their differences.. <sigh> which is both wonderful and an aggrevation.   It was pointed out to me here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3032-chain-wales-and-gunport-linings-french-ship-question/  That others have seen the same thing... sometimes square, sometimes profiled.

I'm pretty much decided on square-ish instead of carved for this wale.  Meantime, back to sanding and squaring away the gunports....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking very, very nice Mark. The nice thing with these variations on the French ships - it gives you a choice.

If there's no concrete evidence in either direction, then I think you should follow the advice I've seen you give to others - you're the captain, it's your call. :)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Thanks Sherry for reminding me....  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  Caught by my own advice... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sanding, touch-up filling, and re-opening the gunports is just starting move along.  I've hit it with 220 grit and I'll follow up with 320 and possibly 600 once the gunports are proper.  I'm pretty happy with the planking so far.  Photo is without flasha and colors look pretty close to what I see. 

post-76-0-52695700-1375157108_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark the planking looks nice and tight.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mark - how much external frame work are you going to leave exposed - if any?

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thanks Michael.  I'm pretty happy so far since this is first single-planked hull I've done (and first scratch).  :)

Kevin,

She's going to be completely planked by Admiralty Directive.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great to see things moving!!!
Love it, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

That planking looks very sweet Mark. It seems a shame to cover up ALL of that lovely framing, but one doesn't often get far in challenging Admiralty orders!

Splendid planking work, Mark, the plank edges fit each other perfectly and I love the grain of the wood you're using :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Nice looking wood and very nice work.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976