Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Lookin' good, Cap'n!  "Mo betta" with billowing sails. Alas, now you need to get cracking to populate the launch.

Thanks fer the vote of confidence, Ken !!

As you'd know, most of the populating items have been done and just await positioning in me boat. Incidentally, not all will be included. I don't want to hide too much of the actual boat ... just include enough to show the historical references. 

Still to come, I need to drag out my new Proxxon lathe to make some barrels, which will be shameless copies of the ones done by Tuffarts in his USS Constitution cross-section

In addition, despite constant searching, I am yet to find anything that remotely resembles the flour sacks to be filled (and par-filled) with loaves of bread.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Cap'n, how about using a toothpaste or similar tube. Or smooth surfaced paper napkins. They can look like canvas. Make some lumpy, paint in a linen color. Or aluminum foil.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Captain your sails look great as for your sack and bread problem have you thought about using Play doh modeling clay? It might be the right thing for the job.

David B

Well done, sir.  I salute you!  post-76-0-67816400-1427830104.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pirate41:

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Matters o' miscellany are to be dealt with o’er this holiday weekend, and being the wind-bag that he is, ‘tis to be suspected that CaptainSteve will make-eth many an entry in the coming few days.

“But a-fore we go-eth on,” he were to go-eth on, “there be the matter o’ the list.”

Begin-ething his weekend in earnest, Our Hero didst make-eth his final touch-ups to the bird-droppings along the spars.
“A touch ‘ere, a bowel movement there … “, he were to explain-eth. “And it be done !!” 

Thusly, wi’ his rigging now complete, ‘twouldst appear-eth that he hath been photo-shopping again.
post-675-0-20878300-1428065128_thumb.jpg

Moving along-eth, and CaptainSteve did happenstance to notice two things …

Firstly, there be the matter o’ baked goodies to be baked …
post-675-0-65428100-1428065122_thumb.jpg

... but there be more on those another time.

"Likely, in the next postin'", he were to posit, "when the paintin' o' them be done-eth with." 

And, secondly, there be the matter o’ something to place aforementioned baked goodies into.

Verily, CaptainSteve be most excited by Ken’s suggestion above to re-purpose-eth tooth-paste tubes to become-eth sacks.

("Try sayin’ THAT”, he were to interlocute, “three times most hastily !!”)

“But, then”, Our Hero continued on, “I were to be noticing that I doest still have a goodly amount o’ the sail-cloth left-over.”

And so, after a liberal application of the Fray-Check to make the whole operation easier (“And possible !!”), CaptainSteve didst cuteth strips of cloth.
post-675-0-03345800-1428065105_thumb.jpg

Thence, utilizing the same method employed whence making his sail-bands, he didst take-eth a strip some 2½ inches in length, fold it o’er ‘pon its’ own-self, and didst proceed-eth to sew up the sides.
post-675-0-17530700-1428065108_thumb.jpg

Verily, each sack be 1" in height and it be 13/16" in girth ...

post-675-0-30539200-1428065111_thumb.jpg

“Here be me production line upon having made-eth four o’ these”, Our Hero were to explain. “There be a fifth underway in the background. There also be me first, crude attempts at writin’ ‘FLOUR’ on a spare piece o’ scrap cloth wi’ a Sharpie pen.”
post-675-0-19371400-1428065114_thumb.jpg

“I were to end-eth up”, CaptainSteve didst tabulate, “wi’ eight seven six sacks eventually. As I shall only be a-needin’ four or so, I shall pick-eth thee best o’ the bunch. ”
post-675-0-06501300-1428065117_thumb.jpg

Next up, matters of colouration were to be considered ... when aren’t they ??

Some light dry-brushing with yellow and even lighter flicks o’ brown paint were added thusly …
post-675-0-97563700-1428065119_thumb.jpg

Finally, stealing an idea from Cutty Sark scratch-builder, NenadM, Our Hero were to take-eth up a sharpened tooth-pick and didst, most pain-stakingly, dot-paint the wordin' on his sacks.

“It be the earliest form”, CaptainSteve didst conclude-eth, “o’ the dot-matrix printer !!”
post-675-0-31939700-1428065125_thumb.jpg

"I jus' be a-hopin' that at least four o' these will pass-eth through Quality Control !!", was his closing comment.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Now there's some wonderful looking flour-sacks there Captain! Good to see the list be nearly complete!  But no pictures of the bird turd touch-up?  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Now there's some wonderful looking flour-sacks there Captain! Good to see the list be nearly complete!  But no pictures of the bird turd touch-up?  :D

Cheers

My apologies, George ...

post-675-0-29759600-1428072420_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-75974100-1428072423_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Pretty realistic Steve! My car sometimes resembles that same look, depending which tree I park under.   :P   :rolleyes:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Sweet, very sweet.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

A-fore continuing further wi' the matters o' miscellany, CaptainSteve didst take-eth a journey unto his local bakery, whence he travelled in search of Hot Cross Buns. He were to explain-eth, “Being the Easter season, and seeing as how me Launch be nearly complete, I didst wish to purchase a treat for Bligh et al.”

But even a-fore some sharp-witted member o’ the Horde could begin to point-eth out the many, many historical - not to mention, logistical - difficulties in such an under-taking, Our Hero were to go on, “Howe’er, the queues be-eth so long that I didst abandon this folly in the end.”

Instead, he didst settle for applying some colourations unto his Sculpey baked goodies which had been made on the yesterday.
post-675-0-76505200-1428125483_thumb.jpg

As he didst mention above, CaptainSteve were to select-eth the four better-looking Flour sacks. However, e’en as he were to be a-doing so, Our Hero didst contemplate trimming the count o’ them to three. Time, and interior design layout, will tell.

“These”, he were to hypothesize, “wouldst be holding the Loyalists remaining measly stock o’ bread taken from the Bounty. As such, I doest figure that Bligh would be a-keepin’ a close eye on them, and they be kept up the stern end o’ the boat wi’ himself and his officers.”

post-675-0-39284400-1428125487_thumb.jpg

“The other two bags be left empty,” CaptainSteve were to point out, somewhat needlessly. “I shall fold-eth ‘em over so that none couldst see-eth the appalling look o’ the writings on their fronts.”

Our Hero be a-figuring these empty sacks couldst be lazily positioned somewhere in the front sections o’ his Launch as an additional detail.

And, as he were to turn-eth his attentions unto an afternoon spent a-lathe-ing, he didst quickly remember the List:
“Arr …. “
post-675-0-98180800-1428125489_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

AHH THE LIST, looks to be completed from what I can see.

Yet another great addition to a wonderful little boat, I reckon the finish line is beckoning mate.

I'd shoot those bloody birds though, they've pooped all over your boat.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

AHH THE LIST, looks to be completed from what I can see.

Yet another great addition to a wonderful little boat, I reckon the finish line is beckoning mate.

That it is !!! There be just the barrels to go. A few pages back, these were re-added to the list, since Tuffarts and Matt put mine to shame. I'm a-working on them at this very point in time (Well, that is, I'll be getting back to working on them shortly.)

I'd shoot those bloody birds though, they've pooped all over your boat.

Be Good

mobbsie

Arr ... If only that were possible, Mobbsie !!!

But that low-life scoundrel, Fletcher Christian, refused to give us any fire-power whatsoever when he cast us adrift. Forsooth, them birds have been a right PITA e'er since we first took sight o' land !!

Land-sakes alive, I but wish we could skewer a few more o' them for our dinner !! The only thing that seems to curtail the constant swoopin' and a-poopin' is when it be teeming down with rain.

I just cannot seem to enjoy my dolphin fillets as much when flavoured with added noddy/boobie poopin's !! 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Captain Steve,

I am very late to your build, but been really enjoying seeing all these great details coming together. Wonderful stuff!

Looking forward to seeing your launch loaded up and ready to set sail!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

That bread looks good enough to eat ...

Thanks, Phil.

But I fear that bread may be getting a little old and moldy.

Indeed, I did actually flick some black paint onto the face of each an' every 'loaf' ... that's supposed to be mildew.

(Oh well, CaptainSteve has ne'er claimed his family name to be Rembrandt)

:cheers:  

Hi Captain Steve,

I am very late to your build, but been really enjoying seeing all these great details coming together. Wonderful stuff!

Looking forward to seeing your launch loaded up and ready to set sail!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Welcome aboard, Nigel !!

However, you are correct, as my build is coming to an end.

Indeed, the stewardesses will soon be asking people to return their trays to an upright position.

(Although, there be nothing stopping you from going back to the beginnin' at any time you so wish)

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Your bulging sacks are to be envied! As my build only contains non-perishable items, I may steal your empty sacks and fashion them into pillows, for the head or the bum. Very nice, very nice indeed!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

The sacks and bread look very real there captain!! Then after the barrels and placement, you're almost finished? I'll almost be sad to see this build end, and the stewardesses--I mean, the trays, returned to their original upright position.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

At precisely 'leven hours and twenty-five minutes past Noon-tide, on the Fifth Day of the month o’ April, in the Year of Our Lord, Two thousand and Fifteen (Anno Domini), CaptainSteve didst, finally, re-insert-eth the final bung into the final bung-hole o’ the final barrel o’ his Launch build.

“Verily,” Our Hero were to declare, “the matters o’ miscellany have-eth, at last, been put-eth behind me.”

Indeed-eth, his legendary list doth finally appear-eth suchly ...

post-675-0-05644700-1428249822_thumb.jpg

Uncharacteristically, he refused to go into any great detail, saying only, “I doth refuse-eth to bang on further as to the details o’ me barrels. Shouldst thou wish-eth to learn more, then see-eth Tuffart’s brilliant barrel tutorial ‘ere.”

Suffice-eth to say, his only comment were, “’Ere be pictures.”
post-675-0-73465400-1428249293_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-86012000-1428249296_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-57331400-1428249299_thumb.jpg

In addition, minor surgery didst prove-eth necessary on the rudder, as Our Hero doth explain-eth.
“Some clumsy buffoon were to be a-breaking the bulbous bulb a-from the end o’ me tiller-arm,” he didst state, most accusingly.
(And, precisely, who might-eth THAT have been, CaptainSteve ??)

“Ahem … “, he didst bluster, “That matter-eth not. But ne’er fear, for I didst make-eth one anew.”
post-675-0-36765100-1428249305_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-68828500-1428249308_thumb.jpg

Finally, Our Hero were to use-eth the dot-matrix printer employed most pragmatically upon his flour sacks ‘tother eve.

“I be a-seein’,” CaptainSteve were to mention, “that in Cap’n Rat Fink’s log he be a-adding initials to a replica o’ Bligh’s personal feed-bowl …”

post-675-0-80669300-1428249302_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice job on the tiller repair and barrels there Captain. Since the last of the list is complete, I expect there's only some touch-up left?

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

CaptainSteve,

lovely work on these proviant survival fitting out details,

for the Bounty Launch crew....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Most excellent barrels CaptainSteve! I have a feeling it won't be too long before your lathe becomes one with you.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thusly, wi’ the completion o’ the construction stages, Our Hero didst look-eth ahead …

“Indeed-eth,” he were heard to bemoan, “e’en matters o' colouration be-eth behind me.”

Now, to say that CaptainSteve hath allowed his ownself to get-eth a little carried away throughout the past 38+ pages wouldst, verily, be-eth an understatement !!

“Arrrrg-eth …” Our Hero were seen to hang-eth his head. “In sum total, there be some 79 pieces, bits ‘n’ parts that hath been made and await-eth permanent fixation unto me Launch ?!?!?”

“Methinks, mayhaps, I didst go-eth overboard, just a tad !!”
post-675-0-32302100-1428257579_thumb.jpg

Verily, o'er the next seven-day, CaptainSteve shall be giving most serious considerations unto matters o' Interior Decoration and Home Design.

EDIT: For those amongst the Horde who are pedantic enough to count, the total of seventy-nine includes the grapnel anchor, already affixed into position upon the bow grate.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

As nice of a job you've done on those scantlings there Captain, it would be a shame to cut back?  Maybe a net-sling set-up resembling what the mighty "Squirrel Whisperer" has done?

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

I think Bligh and the loyal crew would have been overjoyed to have as many provisions! :)

Excellent work, Steve

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log