Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

thank you very much Bob!  :)  I'm no where near the level your at........your Granado build is flawless!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

yesterday,  I was able to do some of the winch assembly.   at the moment I'm leaving it to the point  I can take it apart,  so I can rig up the spools with rope/cable.   I really want to use the hemp thread.......but it's not uniform in thickness and may not run very well through the blocks.   I have quite a few rolls of the Billing's rigging thread....many sizes in fact......but I'm not happy with the fuzz factor.   I'm not a huge fan of bee's wax either.  perhaps I can treat some of the thread.......I'll have to experiment a little  ;)

anyway........I ended up making a gearbox........starting with an oblong piece of wood.  I squared it up and cemented a plate over both ends......one end will lap over the base of the frame.   the edges were rounded off,  and the flats sanded smooth.  the next thing to do,  was to drill the holes for the shaft......but before I did that,  the side I had cemented was removed from the base,  and I made the legs shorter.   I thought it looked a bit too tall.....after both sides were made the same height,  the side was cemented back onto the base.   the process starts again  ;)

post-612-0-98098100-1477062604.jpg

measuring the assembly,  I got the overall length of the reel.   this was transposed to the base....marked.....and copied for the other side.   the gearbox and the other side was cemented to the base.

post-612-0-99184500-1477062798.jpg

....and the excess base was cut off.......

post-612-0-47345400-1477062827.jpg

making sure that the holes lined up OK......the shafts were run through.

post-612-0-60884400-1477062901.jpg

then I began to cut up some planking....thinking I ought to get the fish box {or fish boxes} in the works.  to begin,  I will cement them three high.......the height of the bulwarks for the moment.  one of them will only be two high......for facing the hold.

post-612-0-55287800-1477063509.jpg

I showed these a while back........the keel cut outs from the AmericA build {strange how I know where I got these from}.  I have been wondering when I would find a use for them.   I chose them because they will make ideal posts....some of them are different lengths,  should I have to lower the wall.  I'm sure I will along the bulwarks and hold face.  I need to sort them out.

post-612-0-11381800-1477064149.jpg

while I was doing this........the paint was drying........getting the winch closer to a final assembly.

post-612-0-78650600-1477064466.jpg

I heard something hit the floor...........one of the booms,  that I had to my left on the folded cloth tarp.  I still need to touch them up.  to keep them out of the way,  I put them in their place on the mast,  tying them up so they wouldn't lay on the bulwarks.   I like the way I did this.....looking like a pulley assembly.  I want to mimic the diagram......but this is kinda cool too  :)

post-612-0-45381600-1477065144.jpg

post-612-0-87391800-1477065167.jpg

more assembly is in the works for today  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Patrick  and all you folks who hit the like button  :)    today was catch up day for my blog {log} sites........wrote several logs and assembled more parts for the fish box {or boxes}.   I even found a picture that was supposed to be in this last update.......I'll just include it in my next one  ;)   gonna feel great not having to go to work tomorrow  :)

thanks again fer look'in in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis it is so interesting following your thinking and how you are able to cobble the disparate parts into a convincing winch unit that is believable.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I am Patrick...........we had some major rain last night.   it made for an interesting day/evening....my youngest son had surgery on his knee.   he came through well,  but it really stunk with torrential rain and flooded streets.........and VERY vivid lightning!   today........our oldest son informed us that baby #6 came into the world this morning.   so......yea.......the joint is jump'in   ;)

thanks Michael.......coming from you,  that's quite a compliment   :)     I'm hoping to be able to expand it a bit further.  still at odds about what to use for rigging/cable........once I do that,  things should start moving along better   ;)

thanks to all who hit the like button:)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice news, Denis. Builds can wait, family do not

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thank you Nenad and Tom.   we can be sure that this will be the last one.......my son had the procedure.  

very nasty driving last night Tom........I hope you didn't have to go out.   major flooding at many intersections....we had to pick and choose our way to get around  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just getting home from work, which wasn't fun. Once home though, I got to spend a good couple of hours in the work shop.

Denis, congrats on the addition to the family.  You and Tom seem to have gotten the brunt of that storm which passed well to the north of me. I did get rain last night and all day today but nothing like what was reported up north.

That wonderful news on the grandson and about Kevin.  Hopefully the weather doesn't keep you and Phyl from going to see the grandson.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"Congrats"  Denis...........Have you picked out your new grandson's first ship kit yet!!!!!! :D

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks all for the kind word!  :)   yes,  the young lad {name requires more conformation} is doing very well,  and will most likely be going home today.  at the moment,  I'm siding with the admiral........to go over today would be too hectic.   best to let the chaos subside.  ;)

I'll get back to ya on that Frank.......on the other hand,  a dingy would make a cool crib  ;)

I did get some work done,  in spite of all the runn'in around.   I'll post it soon.    he who is so impatient,  wants to go out  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

6 young modellers to supervise in the shop :)  Congrats again Denis

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks John and Pat.....I hope that is so  :)   I wish 'dad' was more into modeling......it would make my influence a lot easier  ;)   I'll keep the older ones interested with the snap kits for now,  and see what happens  :)    what are the odds in finding another,  as crazy as I am?

while I write this......I'm playing with hooks that I'm making.   I get one in my needle nose pliers.......start to adjust the shape....and then......zing!  off it goes!

I look for it..........amongst the carpet and wood grain flooring.......and I find it!   the brass color is a dead give-a-way.   set myself up again.......and zing.....off it goes again!   this time around though,  I'm accompanied by Gibbs,  who marvels whenever I'm at floor level.   I enjoy his company,  but his going through my legs and around the arches in my arms, is very distracting.  he has a shark like attitude though.........at any moment in this little swar-ray,  I fear his 'alpha' coming out,  and ruining the 'sweetness',  that is his other side.   he can get down-right nasty........but he's old enough now,  where he can be reasoned with.   when he was a puppy.........forget it!........time to get up and be assertive.   I know I said I have an update to post.........yesterday turned into a run-fest to my younger son's house......he had surgery done to his knee.   he re-injured it at work,  due to a 'slip 'n fall'.   when he was younger,  he had a mishap with one of those silly metal scooters,  and ended up putting his knee cap up into his thigh....literally!   I never seen anything like it!   the doctor put it back in place and attached it with screws..........the fall broke one,  and ripped another out by the roots.......so he had to go back and have them removed.   the good thing is that he doesn't need to have them reinstalled,  and the rest of the early repair looked good.  he will be out of work for another couple of weeks.......then,  light duty w/physical therapy.   he's a very lucky guy.

so the call of the wild is calling again........Gibbs want to go to the field.   I know it sounds like the last time..........but this time I promise........I will post as soon as I get back........more has compiled since yesterday  :)

be right back..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it's a blustery day out there today....was even worse yesterday.   definite reminder that fall is here,  and winter is around the corner.   as mentioned,  life has been rather busy for me,  but I still found table time   :)   it starts with a forgotten picture,  that got put in the wrong log file.......I have since written all the logs,  so the threat of it happening again has been decreased once again.   I began to assemble the winch,  cementing the gears in place on the ends of the reels.

post-612-0-58422600-1477331761.jpg

I still haven't decided what thread I will use for the rigging aspect.   I was going to say the heck with it and use the white stuff,  but that would be a cop out,  for what little detail color cordage could offer.   cementing the planking together has yielded me enough 'walls' to play with,  so I began to assemble the fish box.

post-612-0-66921800-1477331768.jpg

allowing this to dry,  the rest of the winch was assembled.   I played around with the chain idea for a bit,  with no success.  I then realized that the reels need to be filled first....doing so later would be much harder to do.

post-612-0-91544500-1477331775.jpg

using the cast off posts that were shown earlier,   the inner walls for around the hold were cut to length and partially assembled.  the outer walls are assembled,  with the back wall staked out.

post-612-0-53761300-1477331782.jpg

the inner walls were assembled...........end caps cut and installed on the outer walls.   once this sets for a short while,  these two parts will be joined together,  and the rest of the posts can be added to it.

post-612-0-33611900-1477331791.jpg

a couple of ideas came to mind..........further automating the assembly.   it has a kinda futuristic spin to it.....not sure how it would appeal to the 'old salts'.  I fear they might find it to be a bit over the top.   I'll give it more thought.   I did decide what I would do about the cordage......I was going to use a beige/brown cord...I think the admiral picked it out on one of our scavenger hunts.   if I were to dry brush it with a rust color and black,  it might look better

post-612-0-28957000-1477331799.jpg

and again.........the winch was assembled.

post-612-0-00808100-1477331808.jpg

I tried again to get the chain belt to work.......but the teeth of the gears won't support it.   it's very hard to get the chain to sit on top of the gears.......I fear it may be a bust.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

wow.....what a tough time I had with that update.........mistakes all over the place!    if it wasn't about text......it was about the pictures and what order they were in!  geeze Louise!    these are the most recent......a split between last night and this morn.

the fish box is assembled........some parts of the walls will be made higher.......and the posts need to be added.

post-612-0-27713000-1477332571.jpg

dry fitted in place........the ideas I've been thinking of look even more doable.   it lays out the 'work' zone fairly well too.

post-612-0-86446300-1477333121.jpg

post-612-0-21934200-1477333134.jpg

I have my own critiques........but what's done is done.   no going back.    tried some more to add the chain......still haven't found a solution to it   the drums were added to the winch

post-612-0-77108700-1477333473.jpg

thanks for look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That winch is looking terrific mate, it will look great in-situ

cheers

Pat

Hi Denis

I can't believe what a week you must've had. From the joys of a new grandson, through to a storm, flooding, an injured son and, everything else in between!

Yet, despite all of that, you still manage to churn out a beautiful looking winch! I don't how you manage to juggle everything, but you always seem to do it with aplomb.

I'm certainly envious of your ability to do that.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

gee.......thanks for all the kind comments and to all who hit the like button  :)   the winch still need a couple more parts,  and it will be ready to cement in place.   I also got slapped with another realization..........I'm going to need another winch.   I had an early though to do individual winches for the gallows,  but I think another four reel would be better.  the best part........I have the room  :)

at the moment,  I'm making adjustments to the fish box.   there is too much room along the bulwarks.   I need to widen these two areas up, if I want to put the.......still need to come up with a name for them.   along side the gallows,  there usually is a folding platform that can be positioned over the cap rails.  I want to add a hinged platform on the fish box........can be raised and stowed when not in use....and dropped into place when bringing in the catch.   I'll get this done.........and then we'll see about the other idea I have.

thanks again for looking in........hope to have another update soon. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yea.......I was rushed with the fish box.......I'm a bit shy along the bulwarks.   the gap between is too much......especially if I want to try the ideas I came up with.   the alteration starts on the port side......I cut out the section situated between the gallows.

post-612-0-37507500-1477490837.jpg

I have these parts........they can be found in just about every Billing's kit.   they are supplied as dead eye straps.   I don't use them........probably no one else does either.   I will use these as the hinges.

post-612-0-35896800-1477490988.jpg

the cut out section was extended by adding a wall aft,  and extending the wall fore of the box.

post-612-0-63679700-1477491101.jpg

more wall parts were being assembled as I was doing this.   once these additional walls were dry enough,  the cut out section was trimmed to fit and cemented back in place.

post-612-0-06544900-1477491252.jpg

this creates a larger 'receiving area'........and the larger opening leads to the 'sort area'.   time to begin the starboard side alteration.

post-612-0-84555500-1477491519.jpg

quickly copied and quickly done............

post-612-0-93342700-1477491555.jpg

the time spent between drying times,  was devoted towards making hinges.   taking a length of brass rod,  the straps were folded,  trimmed and bent around the rod.   I wasn't measuring........just trying to see how consistent I could be.   I'll need to make some shorter though.......at least eight of them should be 16 mm........or less.

post-612-0-11190300-1477491794.jpg

when finished with the alterations,  I was a lot happier to see this.   the sides are in closer proximity to the bulwarks.  the 'dump ramps' may fit better.   the ramps consist of four planks cemented together,  in the same fashion as the box wall parts.   here is the box fitted again on the deck.....still more to add to it,  which will define the function of the box itself.

post-612-0-96705200-1477492088.jpg

post-612-0-44534800-1477492101.jpg

there is more.........the installation of the 'fender walls'.........but Gibbs needs to go out.   he told me so in so many barks...........I'll be back.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

each corner has a post........the post are different heights,  depending where they are located.   I had made up enough wall parts to create the 'fender walls',  keeping the catch from spilling out onto the working areas of the ship.   the aft wall was created first.......the two cut away,  the side walls and the back.

post-612-0-32158800-1477493928.jpg

the fore walls of the receiving area was next.  at both ends of these walls {this wall and the cut away wall},  they extend to the wall edge,  creating a lip that the dump ramp can fit into when raised.   this will create a flush fit........a seamless box.

post-612-0-28905400-1477494235.jpg

I probably should have been more rough with this..........but I sanded each wall part as I made them.   I know they look smooth.......too smooth I think,  for a fish box {but that's me,  I guess.   all butted ends will be sanded flush.....I've done a little,  but not completely.   posts were added for the fender walls of the hold.

post-612-0-59326200-1477494522.jpg

I did a dry fit of the dump ramps........even though the box is closer to the bulwarks now,  they still seem a bit short.  I will add another plank to the one I made........that will bring the width of the ramp to 20 mm.   the overall height of the box is 24 mm.

post-612-0-62595600-1477494970.jpg

since the height of the bulwark {including cap rails} is 12 mm.......added to the height of the ramps when raised,  will make them the highest part of the box,  making that part of the box 32 mm.   the fender walls were added along the sides of the hold walls........the wall in front of the hold will be left at that height,  for access to the hold when it is in the open position.

post-612-0-37622600-1477495440.jpg

post-612-0-16577700-1477495455.jpg

the dump ramp was cut to length and fitted.   here is an example of how it will look when lowered into position.

post-612-0-41910100-1477495603.jpg

I had a can of stain.........but it had long since dried up.  I found another can down in the cellar......but I'll be darned if I can find it........I've looked everywhere.  I fear that I might have used it on the plate holders I made for the admiral.   I don't want to use paint.............perhaps a trip to the hardware store is in order  ;)

thanks for look'in in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis - keep the  eyes focused ONLY on the items you need (nah, I can't do that either - always come back with something in addition :))

Gibbs?  NCIS fan then?  (sorry if already answered elsewhere)

cheers

Pat