Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

thanks for the kind comments and to all who hit the like button.   even though I went to Home Depot and bought some stain......I ended up using my last bottle of Billing mahogany stain.   I didn't want to.......it's for any work I need to do on the Half Moon......yea,  I know......long overdue.   I do have an update that I can't wait to show you.......it's really neat  ;)

you know it Carl!  ;)

this will be the most elaborate one I've done so far..........thanks Patrick!

you betcha Pat........I have another project to do on the admiral's hutch.   I need to make a cap for the top,  so she can put some of her M&M cookie jars up there.  so  I picked up another 2' x 4' sheet of 3/16 plywood..........I won't use it all.   I should have enough to make a set of bulkheads  ;) icky mae!

NCIS........you betcha  :)    I miss Tony and Zeva.    I'm a big fan of David Mc Callun too........used to watch Man from U.N.C.L.E......never missed a show!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I got back to the hinges........figured out a neat way to measure them.   I lined the length up to the table edge.   I clamped the brass rod to the table,  and slid the part under the wire.   once lined up to the edge of the table,  I held it in place and bent it with a free finger.   it's not fool proof because the wire does tend to flex a little.........good enough for what I need to do  ;)

I made a couple more of the longer ones.......enough that I had two sets of four,  the same length.   then I did the shorter ones.

post-612-0-62282000-1477536301.jpg

I made a few more and picked out the ones I wanted.   I cut a length of rod and fed them on......one short...one long... etc

the last pair,  I had to switch,  because the bottoms are to be soldered to the rod....there will be one on both ends.   the bottom ones were soldered in the fixed position.

post-612-0-16280300-1477536590.jpg

the top ones will be movable.......I soldered them to hold the bend closed.   had to be careful not to use too mush solder.

post-612-0-34750000-1477536724.jpg

I did have to reheat a couple of them to free them up......from there I just kept them moving till the solder went solid.  as mentioned.....I needed to get stain.   all I have is a single bottle of billing mahogany stain 1/2 oz.......I didn't want to use it, but I wanted to keep going........so I did.   we did go out......I did get stain.........but when we came home,  I finished staining it with the billings stain {the fear of two different colors}.   I have some lifecolor weathering kits.....one for wood,  one for armor,  and one for figures.   they are acrylics though,  and I didn't want to mix them with enamels or lacquers.

I got carried away..........I did the port side dump ramp........but here is how the box looks with stain.

post-612-0-99731700-1477537313.jpg

...and here's the port side with the ramp and hinge assembly.

post-612-0-82757600-1477537370.jpg

one of the hinges is a little off.........this was taken when I first did it.   I went to open the ramp,  and it fell off.   putting it back together,  it got a few CA smears..........scraped it best I could and went back over it with the stain.  when I give it a coat of lacquer {or poly urethane},  it should hide it well enough..........just don't look at it lengthwise  ;)  here it is with the door open.......some CA did get into the hinge as well.   I'll work it a few times.......should free up enough.  it'll keep the hinge from being floppy .......trust me  ;)

post-612-0-90719300-1477537854.jpg

in place on the deck....the ramp adds quite a bit to the box.   you can see the height........

post-612-0-47657800-1477538260.jpg

adding the extra plank gives it enough reach.....it extends just over the cap rail.  

post-612-0-95636000-1477538388.jpg

now to get the starboard side done........hopefully without any funny stuff  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks for the good word John!  :)    with the way I assembled the wall panel parts,  white glue oozed out under them.......I had to pry them off the table.  one of the good things about a formica table top.   sanding them removed the smears.......staining shows hardly any at all.   I still have more to add to it.  :)

thanks again for the vote of confidence  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick.........and all who hit the like button.    there is more to add.   I still need to put the other ramp on the starboard side......then I need to get that other winch assembled.   I cant do anything permanent until that's done first.........it's turning into one huge chain reaction  ;)

more to come  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

No rush, no pressure, Denis.  I think we all understand the "chain reaction syndrome"...  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work on the fish box Denis, the tip about bending the hinges gives me some ideas.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Mark......the chain reaction is this........the winch for the gallows need to go first,  due to the pulleys that need to line the bulwarks {or deck....I haven't decided which}   then the fish box can be next.   the boom winch.....and then the mast,  since I still need to clarify the boom rigging.  add the little things that make it feel like home.....and that should cover the mid ship  :)

thanks Michael........heck....I'm still trying to grasp some of the thing you come up with  ;)   but,  if something I've done lights the bulb........run with it!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work on those hinges mate; they came up very well.  

Almost ready for her launch now :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat..........no,  still more to go.  when I got back to this one,  I thought to just be simple and get her done.   who the heck was I kidding?!?!  I still have the stern to finish.......and of course,  to dress up the booms.   I'm hoping on a finish soon though......I really want to get out from under all these projects...

I've got others in this twisted mind of mine  ;)

thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.....I'll be happy to see all this in place  :)   yepper........we've seen him.......got quite a bit of hair for a 5 1/2 pounder!   they were kinda worried because he was breathing fast,  but I guess it calmed down....they got to take him home yesterday  :)

I got the starboard side dump ramp in place,  and now I'm working on the gallows winch.   I also made some pulleys for the fore gallows.   I should have an update tomorrow.........thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congratulations Grandpa !!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

thanks Jesse...........I just realized that my son must be basing his brood,  to my age.  here I am at 60..........and he has 6 kids!   :)  although,  since he's had the big 'V'......he might be suggesting that I might not live past 60!  :huh:    Quick!   get the reversal!!! :o

thanks Tom   :)  it felt good to be able to visit......and finally catch up....on all the builds I frequent.   so many sweet looking builds out there :)  it's great to share what makes us smile   ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm back at work today.........it was inevitable.   all good things gotta come to an end........I'll plan another one real soon  :)

I started to make some of the parts for the gallows winch.......like the beginnings of these block pulleys.

post-612-0-04113600-1477786535.jpg

I wanted some larger dowel for the reels.......I hated to use this one.....I have a set of three,  which would have made great masting,  the grain is awesome.   it will be cut up into short lengths.

post-612-0-01713200-1477786712.jpg

it was also time to get that other ramp on the fish box.

post-612-0-47751100-1477786761.jpg

I was so miffed........this one went on perfectly !

post-612-0-38108800-1477786853.jpg

.........and they both work  quite well  :)

post-612-0-68444500-1477786960.jpg

post-612-0-48026400-1477786977.jpg

I took a couple more shots on the deck

post-612-0-20600000-1477787016.jpg

post-612-0-95516600-1477787027.jpg

all that's left are some small additions I think would add to the look

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wasn't to photogenic with the block pulleys........I glued the other side to them.....let it dry,  and cut them up.  I still need to sand them and finish shaping them.

post-612-0-91751700-1477787208.jpg

almost ready for paint........the holes are drilled for the pulley pins

post-612-0-48451300-1477787271.jpg

I took a larger dowel stub,  and cut it into slices.   these were glued to each end of the short dowels.   the dowel is a hard wood........there may be a threat of splitting.   it didn't happen .......I used one of the small gears to center the holes.   I wasn't going to drill all the way through.........but I did.

post-612-0-73813000-1477787458.jpg

post-612-0-81958900-1477787472.jpg

I made some hooks as well.......fashioned from larger eye bolts.......I decided to make two more block pulleys.   I'm not sure if I'll set them up on the bulwarks or the deck.......I still have time to make up my mind.

post-612-0-70930900-1477787636.jpg

post-612-0-45125000-1477787647.jpg

I'm going to use the metal frames after all.........I filed the edges to smooth them out.   I hope to have assembled soon,  without so much disassembly this time  ;)                                                                                                                                                                                     

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's getting there, Denis.  That deck is getting crowded a bit but I love all the details going into her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark  :)   when the winch is done.........all this can be added to the mid ship.  this will  also include some rigging  ;)

thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On a trawler it is the details that really bring it to life.  I remember going to a show and saw a couple models of Northsea trawlers forgot to bring a camera so no pics.  but the details were what brought them to life. from the rigging and the nets to the donkey engine and a cup of coffe or tea in the pilot house.  keep it up.

David B

thanks for all the nice comments and for the likes....I really appreciate it  :)   one more day of work to go.......I wish I had the gumption at night to do a little bit,   but I'm usually too pooped to pop!   hopefully,  there will be an update soon .....thanks again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

another work week out of the way........I was checking to make sure I did the logs on these past few updates.   finding that I did,  and am all caught up,  I transferred them to my file in the memory stick,  and I thought you might like to see the difference in the design of the fish box.  

post-612-0-74730600-1478022052.jpg

post-612-0-47120200-1478022066.jpg

the box itself looked kinda choked......the receiving bins would not have been able to do their job.   with the modification,  the bins are opened more and conceivably,  can accept a net full of fish.   the second idea that I have will further automate the box,  in how the catch is moved from the receiving bins,  to the sort area.....and then,  into the hold.   that will be a little bonus,  I'll throw in for fun  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nice detailwork Denis,

do you have a fish-load for the boxes ?, also need some hoses and appropriat connections for flush cleaning boxes and deck afterwards... ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hello Nils...........some really neat ideas,  but I'm not sure how much detail I'm willing to get into.   I had it in my mind to finish some of these projects I have open,  foregoing some of the ideas I already had for them.   this one doesn't seem to want to cooperate though.......ideas are still finding their way into the mix ;)   I do agree that it would be a nice touch.......I'll refer it to the deck prop department  :)

thanks for the suggestion and the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had better get crack'in on the gallows winch.   I finished drilling the holes for the reels and put the file to the other metal winch frame.   these parts were given a coat of paint.

post-612-0-74058100-1478095505.jpg

{the engine and tranny are for another project......just pick'in at it for the moment  :) }   for the other idea I have,  I made a template and cut four strips of rough sail cloth....the notorious stuff that was included in the Gothenborg kit.....1 inch and 1/2 inch respectively.

post-612-0-47637600-1478096692.jpg

the mock up will look like this......the two frames sits sideways with the motor in the middle.  there was a small drum sticking out the front,  but in removing it,  it got damaged........so I ended up tossing it out.

post-612-0-28909900-1478096838.jpg

post-612-0-53999000-1478096850.jpg

further thought indicated that it needed a base to sit on,  so I made up a quick wooden frame for the assembly to sit on.  I probably should have repainted the assembly,  but decided to fit the reels in,  to get a better sense of what to add to it.

post-612-0-01386800-1478098543.jpg

I decided that belt driven would be the way to go.   I made this drive pulley for the motor.

post-612-0-00084200-1478098845.jpg

I had made these for the boom winch.........the drum caps for the lower pulleys were cemented in place.

post-612-0-51947200-1478098917.jpg

more progress soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice job Denis.......

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That winch looks great Denis.

Talking of detail;  I went to a model competition where a complete section was devoted to fishing craft (about 20 or so models)  and the level of detail was superb.  One 'cheeky' modeller even depicted the skipper and mate in the pilothouse along with the ship's dog whom had left a 'message' on the deck near the door  ;)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)