Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

I like how you're demonstrating your fabrication of all these scratch-built parts Dennis. Very informative. Both sets of lights turned out great. She's coming together nicely.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Great work Popeye, About those lights, There is a product at the craft store that works great and is super clear when its dry and only shrinks a very little, You may have seen it and walked past it. it is called Alleene's Clear gel tacky glue. I have used it on several occations with great success.  I love the way she is coming together. I'll be looking forward to see how the rigging turns out.

Happy modeling,

Marty G. 

Ingenious idea with your vent pipe Popeye - Yankee ingenuity.  Really like the lights and the GPS thingy.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Wooow !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for the good word and the likes!   I'm getting closer to the trawl rig placement.......I can't wait for that!  ;)

Mark:    that's why I was glad to see the black show thorugh somewhat on the cable.......a bit more texture.  I have some tans........but I was also thinking about striating some copper on it.....might put a rusty look to it as well  ;)   I don't want to get too heavy with the weathering though,  i'm not an expert with it just yet.

Marty:   thanks for the tip......next time I'm at Hobby Lobby,  I'll check it out.  they have a very large glue selection.   I've had that bottle of window maker for quite a long time now.......this is the first time it's ever failed me.

Piet:     I'm going to make the segment cuts a little wider.....but still at the same angle.  the curve should be a more 'half circle'  shape......these will come out looking like a candy cane..........a very weird idea is beginning to brew here {Holiday Harbor}.......best not to dwell on exestential thought

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fine details. It's really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

GOOD!!!!! show Denis......

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thank you Bob and Frank.........the spot lights came out fine Frank........just a minor hiccup ;)

thank you Kees.......I hope you posted that picture you showed me in the PM........it looks so awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

yesterday's update isn't very big......the roof asembly is almost finished though.   I had assembled the radar and given it a coat of primer.   I gave it the second coat.

post-612-0-97354800-1427465183.jpg

then the holes for it were drilled into the roof.

post-612-0-85523000-1427465243.jpg

when dry, it was cemented in place.

post-612-0-99551100-1427465278.jpg

post-612-0-57082300-1427465291.jpg

next.....the last two ladders were assembled and sanded to shape.   not sure I like how they look in the plans.......I may do something a little different with them

post-612-0-16662900-1427465468.jpg

I'm also going to do something with the part I had added to the gangway.   there is to be only one pulley spool under the gangway,  but I'm going to add both of them for what I want to do.   I had cemented them in place,  butI found that they aren't alike,  so I am making another one......hoping I can get a pair that match.

post-612-0-39347900-1427465635.jpg

once I can get all this done........it will be time to set the first part of the trawl rig in place.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Amazing Dennis! With all this fine detail on her, are you going to make a little replica of Clooney to stick behind the Wheel ?  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

thanks Patrick........the ladders are Ok.....it's the way they have the grab rails that I'm looking at.  the one that leads to the roof has them......the one that leads from the main deck to to the fore deck does not.   I think they would look better with full length railings on both......but mulling over how to do the one from the main deck.

thanks George......the pilot house is closed now....no way to get 'em in there  :)   I've never done much with figures......even in my aircraft builds.  perhaps one day I will.

my playtime is slowly coming to a close.........the weekend I work :(   kinda dreading this weekend.......got myself into a rather sticky bind at work last Monday,  and I will find out what kind of write up I'm going to get for it.  what can I say.......things happen.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ladders look pretty darned nice to me, Popeye!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'll echo what everyone else said, Popeye...first rate work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John,

That's because they're little, I'm gald he didn't jet find out about all those ini mini tiny details ... ;)

Popeye,

You keep on amazing the crowds with your never ending creative endurance ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks John.....I'm trying to speed things up a little :)   not that it helps..........;)   hope you had fun......and thanks for the good word!

thanks Carl........I HAVE to dig deeper......after seeing what Kees is doing  :D   man of talent....that one!

thanks Augie and Mark........I was looking at the plans,  and I'm not liking what they show for these ladders.  the update will explain it all  ;)  thanks for the good word  :)

thanks George and Patrick for looking in

I've got an update, I like to begin

if you think these ladders look flat and plain

when you see what I did......you'll think I'm insane! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK........so I made these ladders...... the shorter one is for the mani deck,  abd the longer one will go from the fore deck to the roof.  

post-612-0-59955900-1427586098.jpg

the way the plans show the ladder to the roof of the pilot house would look weird,  if I were to put two curved pieces of brass rod in the top of the uprights.......you know.....drill a hole and insert them.   I decided that I would bash them a little......sounds funny in relation to a scratch build........don't it.   well.....it can be done.......I added grab rails.   drilling all the holes......I set in some support bars for the rails.......and then the rails over the top of them.   in hindsight,  I probably should have made them entirely from brass rod and solder.......but this was more fun  {I'll have to play with the other idea}.

post-612-0-67486500-1427586572.jpg

post-612-0-93866700-1427586625.jpg

post-612-0-86430700-1427586638.jpg

I had set them in place and drilled holes in the decks for the placement........in the bottoms of the ladders,  small pieces of rod was cemented in,  to serve as locators.   I put the main deck ladder in place to see how this one would look.......it's not supposed to have grab rails.

post-612-0-66063900-1427586789.jpg

the other grab rail was cemented in place on the roof ladder.

post-612-0-22393800-1427586834.jpg

once both sides looked somewhat even,  as far as the curve goes,  it was set in place to make adjustments.

post-612-0-32250800-1427586934.jpg

when I was happy with it,  it got a coat or two with primer.

post-612-0-91329400-1427586993.jpg

post-612-0-99296300-1427587006.jpg

I looked at the roof ladder..........then I looked at the main deck ladder.......and then started to think how I would pull off doing the grab rails to the main deck ladder,  especially when it reaches the fore deck.  there are railings on both sides.

I'll worry about that later  ;)    on went the support bars!

post-612-0-79338900-1427587395.jpg

....and the rails themselves!

post-612-0-57920400-1427587426.jpg

setting it in place..........yea....I might be on to something  :)

post-612-0-31205700-1427587558.jpg

I also made up another bracket for that pulley.........it's a little crooked......I'll have to fix it,  but it's on there.   there are also guide blocks filling in those holes I drilled,  in that piece off of the gangway.

post-612-0-04854700-1427587921.jpg

post-612-0-11964800-1427587940.jpg

I would have gone further,  but I was rung out......  so I climbed into me bunk..........sad to think the work week {end} is here.    I'll finish this off and continue on Tuesday.  thanks for looking in  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good work on the ladders, Popeye.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark./...I hope they meet OSHA specs  ;)

thanks George......I should do a rhyming log............now THAT  would be a feat!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's some fantastic work on your ladders Dennis. I like the brass rungs and rails. Insane? Not at all. Border-line rocket science? Maybe!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

thanks George and John :)   hard to respond to that George........as crazy as I am......if I was a rocket scientist,  I would have blown myself up by now!  :)  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What are your catalogue  numbers  for the ladders?  I don't need any but would LOVE to have a pair!!!!!  C'est magnifique.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Now you mention Kees, I might as well ask why you didn't use brass on the sides of those ladders ... a little soldering ... would give them a nice metal touch/finish ...  Perhaps you could do some electrical wiring around the cabin and the part beneath it ... as a minor detail ... or a handrail around the cabin ... to hold onto during foul weather. I remember those from the Smit Nederland

I'm getting your virus mate ... better hold my tongue ... :huh:

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Augie  :)  perhaps I could do one for those planes of yours  :D  :D

I though about that while I was making them Carl.   when I first made the ladders,  I just copied what I had done with the others.   as for other detail,  I'm sure there was something,  but I am uncertain.   Be sure to know that I'm taking notes,  in watching Kees

never mind the tongue.......I'd love to see those hands busy.....love to see you back at the table ;)   I understand though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My god Dennis!!! I missed checking your log for about 1.5 days and look at everything I've missed out on. You're a poet(!), as well as a master craftsman, metalwork expert, and amazingly inventive and creative. The ladders, plus the GPS thingy and other details really look the part.

All I can say is that I'm constantly amazed at watching your speed and progress.

Great stuff!

Cheers

Patrick