Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

So that's how it's done.  Good job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Very nice detail, Denis. I like it

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nice work!

Those light boxes.... I always forget wich side is red and wich side is green. And the other thing.... On my previous model I made two beautifull light boxes but when I wanted to install them on the model it turned out I made two left ones. No problem, you learn by your mistakes. But at my current model I made two light boxes again and yes.... again I made two left ones :rolleyes:

Looking forward to you next updates and I totally agree with you about what you say about this forum!

Hi Dennis

I'm not entirely sure why, but I keep coming back to this photo of the ice box. For some reason, your ice box looks so life-like that I fully expect to turn the handle and see bags of ice tumbling out of it, with maybe the odd frozen fish or two, as well.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_03_2015/post-612-0-96415100-1426768198.jpg

Now, that's the sign of a damn good model; one that gets the imagination going.

Well done!

Cheers

Patrick

Nice work!

Those light boxes.... I always forget wich side is red and wich side is green. And the other thing.... On my previous model I made two beautifull light boxes but when I wanted to install them on the model it turned out I made two left ones. No problem, you learn by your mistakes. But at my current model I made two light boxes again and yes.... again I made two left ones :rolleyes:

Looking forward to you next updates and I totally agree with you about what you say about this forum!

Kees-  Just remember that PORT wine is RED and you'll always know which side is which!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

again....thank you so much for the fine comments and likes!  I may be a tad over scale with the lights and boxes though.....but for my first time making the lights......they are in scale with each other.   I'll use them anyway....really pleased how they came out :)   I may warn you......what looks like I'm on another 'parts addition rampage'.........I'm actually doing the roof assembly  ;)

kees:  I did the same thing,  when I decided to try my hand at making the boxes.  most kits I find, have less than desirable ones.  your so detail oriented though......I think your putting me on  ;)   I really like your work my friend........I'm studying it quite closely :)  your work with styrene is fantastic......I'm beginning to think that integrating plastic and wood,  may not be such a 'big bad wolf' after all :)

Patrick:   I love taking pictures of my builds.......I hardly ever did it in the past....and I regretted it.  at the end of each build,  I count the pictures......pretty staggering when you see the final number.  looking at other builds....I see pictures that catch the imagination....and I sit there,  studying the detail.....caught in the blink of the eye.  yours is no different ;)  I thank you for following along...glad your enjoying the build.  perhaps the next update will produce a new 'diamond in the rough'.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, I really enjoy all the small details that you keep adding, each one is a small model in itself.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

the roof work has begun.......this is quite an assembly.   there are several parts to the assembly....I have already placed the funnel addition.   the light boxes are next to be cemented in place.

post-612-0-96873100-1426860560.jpg

post-612-0-61875100-1426860572.jpg

the raft locker was next.......once it was in place,  I could see the space to add in the number decal.

post-612-0-34427200-1426860638.jpg

now that the boxes are firmly in place,  the lights were set in place.

post-612-0-01966700-1426860761.jpg

post-612-0-70777500-1426860773.jpg

there are three more aspects that need to be added to the assembly.   the next parts to be made are the spot lights.........there are two of these and will locate facing the front of the roof.  I have one light kit that Billing's includes in their kits.......but it doesn't help having only one of them,  and as I promised Piet,  I was going to try and scratch build the parts I need for this build,  as much as I can.  I had purchased a larger brass tube for this,  and cut a pair to the desired length.  two holes were drilled in what will be the bottom of the lights for the attachment posts {I may make them larger}.  to close up the back end,  I had cut some more of those circles.  this led to how I was going to set the scene for the lense end.

post-612-0-03685500-1426861533.jpg

you see the two short pieces of dowel.....they are to be the spacers for the 'back plate' and the 'light plate'.  the circles were cemented onto the ends of the dowels,  to create a sort of 'packing'.

post-612-0-84160300-1426861684.jpg

the end that is even the most will be the end that will be the back of the light body.   I coated it with CA to get rid of the wood grain.  the other end will look recessed into the light......this will give the impression of the 'light bulb'  I will wait till I have the pictures to show,  to tell you more. 

post-612-0-27033200-1426863664.jpg

I would have gotten this done last night,  but I promised Gibbs that we would have TV time.  I put him off the night before......couldn't see to do it again  ;)   you really need to see how all this goes down.....he has such an adamant disposition.  he'll sit by me computer and give me 'lip service'......grunts and groans,  with the most determined eyes.  I ask him  "whadya wanna do?", and he bee-lines it for the living room,  pausing at the doorway to see if I am following him.  if not,  he repeats until he gets his way.  when in there and I turn on the TV,  he'll either lay on the floor with one of his chewies,  or he'll get on the couch with me.......or he'll end up there eventually,  and sooner or later,  he'll end up laying against me.  of course....I can't help but rub his head,  or stroke his fur.  it melts me when he looks up with eyes of bliss........you know that he is where he wants to be......and his human counterpart has bent to his will,  once again.

may seem strange that I mention this.......not much bearing on the model itself......but it sheds more light into the modeler himself....or herself.  I think the identity of the modeler is just as important,  and the mindset that goes along with this hobby.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I can't stand it anymore ---- it just keeps getting BETTER !!  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Michael......I saw that you commented before I posted the recent update.  kind of you to say.....I appreciate it  :)

thanks Augie!   I'm still shaking my head......I'm just as amazed as you are ;)  it was a thought when I assembled the Boulogne hull frame, and emphasized when I was done planking her.......   you would never have thought that the hull I created the A.G. from,  looked like this in the beginning  ;)

post-612-0-92205900-1426876126_thumb.jpg

while I'm here,  I want to thank all who hit the like button.   I see a couple new folks looking in......I welcome you......and appreciate your looking in  :)   enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Carl......shucks man......I ain't special ;)    I'm just the nut on the other end with too much imagination.  keep on thinking free! ;)

I forgot to mention......I got the decal maker update yesterday.  darn thing looks like an add-on!   I'll have to install it and see  ;)  thanks to all who hit the like button :)  I have a bit more progress to show.....but it will have to wait till tonight........the work week beckons :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

your Andrea Gail has more amazing details every day, well done

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thank you Nils....I appreciate the kind word  :)

all I can say Carl ........is  :D  :D  :D  :D  :blush:

post-612-0-18223000-1426981517.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did get a little done on Friday.........added the supports to the base of  the vent

post-612-0-97448700-1426982682.jpg

this is the makings of the pulley that will be added for the trawl rig.   there is only one.....but I might make the other one too.

post-612-0-84101500-1426983477.jpg

posts were cemented into the bottom of the lights

post-612-0-92299400-1426983523.jpg

this is the finished pulley

post-612-0-50728500-1426983553.jpg

a base was added to the lights......may even aide in locating them

post-612-0-57026400-1426983691.jpg

the pulleys were fastened to the ends of the birds.   I took these pictures for a friend of mine at work

post-612-0-24255300-1426983817.jpg

post-612-0-41343500-1426983834.jpg

post-612-0-22434000-1426983865.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Super work Denis

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

two comments Carl.........I can combine them  :)   the admiral is very understanding about my hobby......for her to allow my mess to be in the computer room,  is a testament to this.    a lot of time I drive HER nuts.......she never knows what we're looking for,  when we're out on one of my scavenger hunts  ;)

thanks all for the kind comments and those who hit the like button......still quite a bit to go yet  ;)   I'll have to check on that Crackers.....I'm still working on the George Clooney angle for Frank!  :D  :D

Patrick.....sadly no about the LED.  could be done though........quite easily

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I would have had this update up sooner,  but I got rid of Vista today.  I upgraded to windows 7......so far it hasn't been too much of a problem getting use to it  ;)     I did finally order.....and receive the update for the decal maker.  once I install the whole thing,  I can see how much of a change there is.......enabling the transparency function would be nice  ;)

so now.....here I am with two updates.   with the computer stuff going on,  I tinkerd with the A.G.....more sub assemblies with this critter!  yesterday,  I began with the spot lights......painting the cavities with silver.   I useda crappy brush though because I got some on the outside of the light body

post-612-0-98211900-1427327213.jpg

post-612-0-84046800-1427327240.jpg

while the silver was drying......enough to sand off,  I made the other pulley.

post-612-0-47252700-1427327319.jpg

once dry enough....the silver was sanded of and the bodies were repainted.

post-612-0-91937600-1427327408.jpg

more pieces of dowel was cut up......these still need to be shaped

post-612-0-98746200-1427327560.jpg

dowel is a tough wood to sand by hand.......cramped them like crazy doing it.   here they are in their final shape.

post-612-0-18649400-1427327648.jpg

the base parts were assembled,  as they are to be the same color........the restwere painted in respective colors

post-612-0-54665600-1427327719.jpg

I will be back in a bit.........more updates!  I need to restart the computer  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

assembly of the lights is looking good Denis.... this is going to be a real jewel!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

that was a lot quicker than with Vista........down and back up in no time!   I also need to make vents for around the fore deck.......three of them.   these are unlike the normal vents seen on larger ships......they look like nothing more than curved pipe.  I had bought some hollow round styrene,  but it's too large.....so,  I'm going to do it from smaller size dowel.   I cut a bunch of angled pieces......I put the puzzles together later

post-612-0-56873500-1427328801.jpg

during all this,  I had filled the openings of the spot lights with window maker.   enough time had passed......lets take a look..

post-612-0-56114100-1427328893.jpg.......:(

Oh........say it isn't so!   the bubble broke in the middle!  the other one?.......

post-612-0-41486000-1427328965.jpg

I'd say it gone from bad to worse...this is not good :(   I guess the opening is too large a span for the maker to work!  it's a good thing I have a backup plan........we'll get back to it later  ;)   meanwhile.......back at the vents.

I began to piece together the bit to form the curve.......I think I need to make them with just a little more length.

post-612-0-36766400-1427329259.jpg

I'll need to make some more.......I'm on the right track though,  so that's a good thing.  since the lights were a bust,  I might as well get the window maker out of them,  before it totally dries......at least I can salvage them.

post-612-0-46111500-1427329492.jpg

out of all this.....there was at least one small ray of light.......the orbcom GPS module

post-612-0-35815900-1427329596.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi Frank.......the assessment of the lights is a bit premature.......but not to worry......I'll get 'em squared away yet!  :)

thanks for the good word anyway........here's the back up plan  ;)

the cavities of the lights were touched up once again....readied for another go.   since I can't use the window maker,  I'll have to make the lenses from clear cello.   11/32 was the magic number to make them.......they were cut out,  shaped,  and cemented in place with the window maker.  I had to get one to 'glare out' in order to show you.

post-612-0-28728800-1427330176.jpg

the last aspect I need to make for the roof,  is the radar.   you probably saw this piece of brass lying on the table from frame to frame.......a shaft with a collar fitted on it.  it part of an old Billing's fitting.   a pair of support rods needed to be soldered onto it.   I set it up in the vice.

post-612-0-75085200-1427330388.jpg

......and the rods were soldered on

post-612-0-67907100-1427330431.jpg

an upper control box was fitted onto the upper part of the shaft......made from wood.

post-612-0-58758400-1427330517.jpg

the radar head is a strip of brass flat stock that was bent around a dowel,  shaping it.  then it was solderd together,  and a hole was drilled in the underside of it.  it was then cemented on top of the assembly.

post-612-0-66642900-1427330725.jpg

post-612-0-99676400-1427330735.jpg

the bracket you see in these last few pictures,  still need to be shaped.   I made a pair of them......they are to be the front support brackets for the stabilizer booms.   all I need to do now,  is drill the holes and paint them

post-612-0-68695700-1427330991.jpg

I was thinking about the support cables for the aft section of the trawl rig.   I found the largest thread that would fit through the holes of those 'U' shaped shackles.  it's black thread,  and I'm going to wipe it down with silver paint.

post-612-0-38644200-1427331193.jpg

it came out well.......there is a hint of the black here and there.   I will leave it like that.

post-612-0-20045500-1427331277.jpg

the lights are on the roof.......at last!

post-612-0-20117300-1427331310.jpg

.........and so is the GPS module  :)

post-612-0-41804900-1427331348.jpg

the radar has gotten it's first coat of paint.   I'll give it another,  and then I can fit it into place.   so far,  I haven't had to drill any holes......for this assembly though,  I will need to.   so there you go........two days worth of playtime!   the lights were an easy fix......the only real thing left,  are those vents.   they shouldn't be too hard to  figure out  ;)   more tomorrow!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice fix on the lights, Popeye, and the radar is shaping up.   I'm wondering if you'll weather that "steel" cable with some rust. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)