Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Popeye,

Is there more space on the ship where you can put some more things ???????

Unbelievable......

Your next build has to be  a model of a meter long.

I want to see what you are doing with that !

But please, keep on going and I enjoy !

Sjors

Don't worry, Sjors, he will find space he need ;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Sweet work, Popeye.  That air horn is perfect.  As is everything else.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Tom.......I know I have to jump sooner or later......but which one?  I'll be glad when I get caught up!  ;)  :D

Sjors and Nenad.......still more to add  :)   adding the trawl rig now though really puts me to the test....gotta be careful now!

John......I don't know about that......rigging is a tougher act to follow  ;)

Mark.......ya think so?   to me,  it looks like an automotive air cleaner   :D  :D    looks a bit bulky too.  I may change it to look more the part ;)

I appreciate all the kind comments and the likes.....thank you  very much! 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

An honest to goodness air horn I see!  I can hear it now - - braaaaaat - - braaaaaaaaast!  Great update Popeye, nice work on all the "stuff" you are adding.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet.........I think though that I can do better with the air horn.  I think the body of it is too large :D  :D    next update,  I'll have the revised horn.  I wish I had taken a picture of it in place......I think you'd agree  ;)  I saw the spotlight lying down in the package I had it in.......and it caught my eye.

thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

to continue with the progress of these sub assemblies,  I picked up where I left off with the aft lights.  the sanding was finished and the top was added.

post-612-0-85901400-1428669803.jpg

the control panels were also refined a bit more.........an access panel was added to the back.

post-612-0-61993200-1428669884.jpg

adding another sub assembly to the mix........the brace for the center of the first section of the trawl rig.

post-612-0-95070100-1428670040.jpg

this will be fitted under the center frame,  by the vent.  going to be a pain to get it in there....just getting the measurements alone was tough.   it was time for the control panels to get a coat of primer.

post-612-0-76396400-1428670233.jpg

the ladder had been secluded for the time being.......I've been painting the smaller parts in the hallway,  in a make-shift spray booth.   the ladder is in place now.

post-612-0-64458900-1428670490.jpg

I may have to replace those cables,  if I keep hitting them.   I've already proven that they can be re rigged....or even adjusted at one end........I'll have to check it out and see.

post-612-0-82108300-1428671077.jpg

here's a better picture of the antennas.......I painted them as well

post-612-0-59429000-1428671128.jpg

this is where the brace part is supposed to go....

post-612-0-10780400-1428671211.jpg

while I was doing this,  I pricked where I am to drill the holes.   I had fitted brass tabs in the bottom legs

post-612-0-38901700-1428671303.jpg

darn thing broke on me........mad scramble to repair it.   going back to the aft lights.....two more parts were added to them.

those little tube parts........I'm going to use both.  they were cut in half lengthwise.....half was cemented to the backs of the lights.  the other halfs will be cemented in place,  once the lights are in place on the top bar of the rig.

post-612-0-74100200-1428671793.jpg

I found that the bottle of Billing's gloss white had died and turned to jelly.   I was lucky to find I still had some testor's kicking around.   it was kinda thick,  so I thinned it,  and gave the control panels a coat.   this will get them ready for the next process.   they are almost finished......better start making the fore deck reel panel.

post-612-0-45654100-1428672162.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

just a couple of pictures I took....

post-612-0-11394900-1428672449.jpg

post-612-0-40150500-1428672468.jpg

post-612-0-87130700-1428672482.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You just made my day, Popeye.  Thanks!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

and very happy to do so  :)  thank you my friend!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You just keep out doing yourself.  Great detail work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

The frustrating part is when I would do something like this it would look cluttered and messy. You've accomplished a clean crisp look ... sometimes hobbies are so ... painful on the ego ...she's looking ravishing 'maître'

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very, VERY nice indeed Popeye.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank you every one for the kind comments and the likes.  I don't know what to say...I'm so humbles and appreciative :)   I can report that the shoe box that housed all of the parts for her....is gone.  everything left for her is on the table.  it's not to say though,  that the finish is near......just that there is still more to do.   more parts to fabricate,  as well as the added detail, I might find in the inventory.  Friday's update emptied the box.......I hope you enjoy  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the reels that I had placed at her stern,  were becoming a bother.   dry fitting parts and things.....I'd hit them with my arm of sleeve.......and it would push them out of alignment.   in the box was the netting I was going to use,  along with some tulle,  which I didn't need any longer.  what was salvageable,  I put it away........the rest I tossed {I have plenty,  and I know where to get more}.   I chose the green netting over the brown,  since that's what the kit would supply.   cutting it was a question for me also.......I though that a triangle would be best,  since I was to fold it into itself,  so it would fit the frame.  I made up the first one and cemented it in place.

post-612-0-49068800-1428798542.jpg

post-612-0-50590700-1428798552.jpg

I had thought of Kees,  and what he did with the bath netting sponge.   I had already bought a yard of this netting material,  so I went with it.  the piling kinda hides the scale of the mesh,  so it looks good.  I made up the other two.

post-612-0-38068900-1428798831.jpg

post-612-0-66276000-1428798842.jpg

the fore deck reel was put in place on the deck........I'm thinking what what I would use to rig it.   black thread......perhaps done with the silver and copper........or even the small size hemp thread.  I still need to plot out the rest of the fittings to do it.

post-612-0-95671800-1428799086.jpg

the control; panel still need to be made for it.   sad that errands had to be run,  or I could have gone further.   the aft lights were the last aspect I tinkered with....besides painting that frame piece.   I added some tiny bars inside,  to simulate the florescent tubes,  and the insides  were painted silver.   they are not finished yet....still more to paint and add to them,  before they are cemented in place.

post-612-0-61212000-1428799424.jpg

two more days.........and I will be on vacation.    I can't wait!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Rock on, Popeye.   I guess I'm surprised by the concept of a green net but then, I'm not a fisherman in the ship sense.  Or any sense now that I think about it....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Denis the details just keep adding to the overall effect which is superb.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

With your attention to details Dennis, she's going to absolutely be something to be marveled. Nice!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Great concept on the light boxes.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks for the good word...and the likes!   I didn't try and see what the brown netting would have looked like.....Billing's is famous for green netting in their kits.

there are a lot of those 3-D photos online.......even some using Legos.

...off on the second day, of my three day countdown.....waiting with baited breath.......... :huh: .........whoever thought up that phrase,  was ill..... :P

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: