Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Holy roaring mackerel Popeye, she's looking great and quite a crowded deck.  The detail work you put on her is just fantastic.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank you very much Piet!  :)    it was a bit of mayhem........but actually I'm glad it worked out this way {got all these parts off the table}.  I spent part of the day yesterday trying to find diagrams of more conclusive pictures of the rigging.  I found nothing .......I did find a picture of the ABS hull.......and there was a diagram tacked on the wall behind it,  but I still couldn't make out anything.  I even saw a picture of my boat..........courtesy of this great site we play in...made me smile like a Cheshire cat!

I have a bunch of plastic double blocks and stuff.........I may get creative with 'em.........I have a cool set up in mind for the booms,  if I do.  not sure how close to the end I am.........I'll have to look.......to get an idea.  not to worry though........ain't my last build.......not by a long shot!  thanks for the good word and checking in!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

so....yea,  some clean up was in order.   mental note to self.......when I buy paint for any task,  it's good to jot down the product number and stuff......the primer I bought is not the same as I started with.  lucky for me,  that the Billing's flat white is very close to the primer color.   the color is very slight...hardly noticeable ;)   I did do a bit of repair work on that deck seam down the middle.......looks a bit better now.  with the small bottles of paint......ever notice that by the time your well into the build,  you can hardly read what the name of the color is......I find that with the Model Master,  and Billing's paints.  a good remedy for it,  is to cover the name with scotch tape...something clear,  to protect it from getting rubbed off.

here are the mending plates I put at the base of the trawl rig.   they make the assembly to the deck a bit stronger,  and cleans up the looks of it.

post-612-0-12242300-1428077442.jpg

the placement for the aft section cables were plotted out.  impressions from the pins marked where to drill.

post-612-0-48147200-1428077538.jpg

some pictures of the model show them on the transom......some show them at mid ship.   I chose them in this position,  because it looks more on the logical side.   the same went for a pair at the bow........some even used chain.

post-612-0-07054700-1428077664.jpg

I have looked for clear instruction of the rigging........even actual pictures show me very little.  the reel on the fore deck is a good example.   netting would be illogical in that position......and I have seen rigging that moves along and through the trawl rig.  there are separate winches that operate the stabilizer booms,  so this still leaves the reel open for thought.  I will delve into it further,  but I have an idea of how to rig it ;)  after I had cemented the bow shackles in place,  I did the same to the main deck shackles.

post-612-0-85324800-1428078192.jpg

the mending plates are painted now.

post-612-0-46754100-1428078228.jpg

when the shackles were painted,  I set to work on another creation.........a birthday cake for the admiral.   she wanted to be different this year,  and go for a marble cake.  no real biggie!  ;)  by the time the two 9 inch rounds were in the oven,  the shackles were dry,  and I could begin the rigging for them.  I touched up the other cables with silver,  to make them more noticeable.

post-612-0-24555500-1428078542.jpg

post-612-0-64236300-1428078568.jpg

those little shackle thingies I bought seem to work quite well with the rigging.......adds a bit more to the attachment points.

post-612-0-06724500-1428078701.jpg

post-612-0-45300600-1428078715.jpg

control panels for the booms and reel,  the curved vents,  the gangway ladder,  the buoys,  are just a few of the things left to on this build.......aside from other bits of detail I want to add.  still more to go.......no land sightings yet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

excellent structures Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

mending plates look good..... it was a good idea installing them.

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Looking good, Popeye.  Not much more to go.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow Dennis! She looks marvelous. All that and baked a cake in between!  Talk about multi-tasking! :D Very nice idea with the scotch tape to prevent rub-off. I'll have to deposit that one in my memory-banks also.  B)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I think I'm stuck with the "Wow!"  Not much more can be said....  Just fantastic workmanship, sir.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:) :) :)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Dennis

Please wish your Admiral a big Happy Birthday! Congratulations are also in order too, as your AG's marches towards completion (well, near completion). The level and quality of detail is amazing and a testament to your skills and creativity. The joint down the middle of the deck also looks good.

Well done!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Looking good, Popeye, BUT ....... where's the photo of the birthday cake? :)

John

We see 50 more details and no pictures of the cake??????

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm such a cad!.......shoulda got a picture of the cake before we got into it  :D  :D  I cheated.......I licked the knife  ;)  thanks for all your kind comments and likes.

Nils and Carl:   you must mean 'Bob the builder'  :)  no....just me an Chester.....sort of remind me........oh crap!  gotta get ready for work!  be back tonight!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Absolutely brilliant Denis, regards to your Admiral.

You may want to fill the small crack on the piece of dowel on the starboard side that runs thwart ships just below the mending plate . Just a very small split.

Hope you don't me pointing it out mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Your job really is a major intrusion upon your 'home work' It keeps us in high anticipation though ... I didn't mean 'Bob the builder' plastic hammers e.a. do not build a boats ... crativity and perseverance do ... as does Cap'n Bob the shipyard owner!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

there......now I can talk!   yes......I agree with you Carl...I wish I was at the point where I can retire :)   one day soon...I hope!  ;)   you must mean our beloved Capt'n Bob.........I really enjoy his talent....I wish I could understand CAD like he does.  I had something this morn I wanted to post......wait  moment you'll love it  ;)

thanks Mobbsie.......I think I see what your pointing out....... consider it fixed!   thank you for letting me know.  I'm starting to get the Jeebies anyway.....I see spots and paint flecks......I touch them up.......and then I see more!   then I clean my glasses and some of them go away!  :D  :D

thank you Tom........the admiral had a very good day.  every year it's the same.......I tell her she's catching up to me...and every year,  she gets confused  :D

gotta keep 'em guessing  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK......now that I can sit back and chat........    it was early Carl.......I mis-read what you were getting at.........I was barely getting the first cup of coffee down  :)

still more to go Bob..........I think this one has to be the most prolific build I have done so far....there are about 70 photo files on the build.  cementing the trawl rig in place is a pretty big milestone...but now I have to work around it.

now that I have that sorted out........the Bob thing is just too funny to pass up Nils........reminds me of a couple monty Python skits.........

"is your name not Bob?"   {I changed the name}

"No........it's Denis."

"that's gonna cause a bit of confusion........mind if we call you Bob,  to keep it clear?"

thank you Mark,  Nenad,  Patrick,  Lawrence,  and Ed  for the kind word...I really appreciate it .  All I can say,  is that this is one heck of a cool subject to model,  even if I'm using the Billing's instructions to build it.

John and Augie.......what can I say.......I'm usually not very vocal about the culinary stuff.   I took a picture of it this morning,  thinking that my son hadn't had a piece yet.

post-612-0-82481500-1428193156.jpg

I got home this evening......in our conversation,  the admiral showed me the cake.....and mentioned that our son,  had indeed.....made off with a piece.  I was relieved to know that the admiral and I,  didn't make a pig of ourselves that evening! :D  :D

thanks Frank.......yea,  the mending plates was a good idea.   they hide the gaps that the trawl rig had,  in the mating to the deck.   now that I've done the touch ups......they look much better,  but I may drill them and install some simulated bolts for added detail.  there's more to come  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As I mentioned........some pictures had cabling at the bow,  so I added them.

post-612-0-08799100-1428194359.jpg

they started at the deck and terminated at the top of the rig.

post-612-0-80429700-1428194899.jpg

post-612-0-98258900-1428194927.jpg

I tried to get an over head shot.........

post-612-0-81422100-1428194884.jpg

I have the ladder ready to go.....

post-612-0-41323000-1428194975.jpg

...and I brought out the reels.  I will need to modify the fore deck reel

post-612-0-46874400-1428195033.jpg

I also checked out how hard it would be to work in ......and reach in the trawl rig.   it's not too bad.....I'll just need to be a bit careful  :)

post-612-0-11493600-1428195139.jpg

that's my play time for Friday.........work beckons now.   I can't wait till the 18th....I'm using another of my vacations.  I'm hoping I can finish by the end of it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Popeye

I've been looking at your log, and it's great. Outstanding beyond words is another way to put it. Look like it's almost done, but there's one BIG thing missing. A huge wave....lol

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Dennis

Love everything about your last few updates! The cake - good! The AG - Good! The Monty Python skit - Good!

All I can say, is "How are your next ships gonna top this one???"

Have a great Easter.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Outstanding Dennis! Your cake turned out better than my last one did!

It kind of looked like it went through an earthquake.  :Dpost-12186-0-68780400-1428199195_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just one heck of a fantastic looking model Popeye, or is it Bob now  ;)

We still need that claxon horn on top of the cockpit - - -  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Sweet work, Denis.  Both the cake and the AG.  Everything is coming together.   Will you be doing the nets also?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All feasts for the eyes !!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

didn't know you had a son Pops ;)

Glad you keep them runnin'round ... wishful thinking mate :)  ... they stay sharp as the edge of a samourai shingen :o

Love the furthering of your deck furnishings and 'outillage' ... but she does look very new !!! A babe in the make (ing) ... :D You might shine some light (LED?) on it tooooo ... keep 'em commin' sailor ... keep 'em commin'

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thank you all for the kind comments and the likes!  I still got more to do......some how the four days I have off from work,  just doesn't seem to be enough.  I just leave it to the future......but one never know what it will bring  ;)

John........you are way too kind!  :)  thank you!

I have two boys Carl........my oldest has four of his own,  and my youngest is 25 and still at home.  I'm waiting for his inner nomad to kick in  :D  I'm not rushing him though.  perhaps a future build will have all those things......the trick will be to think of them before I go too far.  not really in the habit of back tracking  ;)

I'm still looking into it Piet........I'll see what I can do  :)

welcome Greg.......I'm glad you like how this one has progressed.   crazy idea gone wild...best way to describe it  ;)  hope you continue to follow along.

there will be nets........the stern reels have them.   as for the fore deck reel........gotta wait for that one.  the assembly is made......now to bash it  ;)

thanks Patrick.......I let my hair down for these updates.  I'm the nut that will do my Popeye laugh in the middle of a busy department store,  especially at the check out!  :D

well.......I'm really late now.......gotta get ready for work!  shouldn't come here in the AM..........I get carried away!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: