Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Superlatives fail me, Denis. You will need a small bottle of bubbly to christen this beauty- she looks so real!

Well, sir, as Bob's your Uncle I am looking forward to the next steps - are you weaving your own nets?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

hello Wayne.........thanks for the good word!   as much as I would like to try making my own netting,   I bought some material a while back that will fit the bill quite nicely.   the Billing's kit of this model,  supplies a greenish netting.........I happen to have that color,  as well as a brownish color.  I also have an ample supply of tulle.   Hobby Lobby carries this in the wedding dept {best way to describe it}...and the tulle is also found in many different colors.  I may not use it though because the texture is of a smaller scale than what I need. 

tomorrow is my last day of the work cycle........play time is near :)  there will be bubbly .......when I am done  ;)

I almost forgot to ask you George........given the background in which you showed your cake,  what happened...........did you drop an anchor on it?  :D   the cake I made is almost gone........only a two piece wedge is all that's left.   I better get one more piece,  before the vulture comes home!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fell apart when I put the 2 halves together. Couldn't figure out the science of it all, flat on the bottom, domed at the top. B)  Thought I'd be clever and put the dome of the first layer at the bottom so flat side of the second layer would be on the flat side of the bottom. :rolleyes:  :o  Instead-----chaos!   :D  :D  Tasted good though!  ^_^

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Great job Dennis. I built the Lindberg shrimp boat model and I used that open gauze for the nets after dyeing them, they turned out to be very convincing nets. Just a thought. Love the way she is coming together.

Happy modeling,

Marty G.

that's all the matters George........I'm sure it cemented together well with ice cream..........YUM!!!!!  :)

not just a thought Marty......but a great idea.   as I read your post,  the image came to mind.   I'll have to look at this........a Wal Green's is nearby  ;)

you got me Carl.....I admit it.........I'm a confirmed junk food junkie!   but I'm a pretty rare bird........there are no know photos of my species though,  cuz I strike fast.......and disappear without a trace  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

other than the 'birds',  I really don't have anything else to add to the model.  soooooo,  I guess I'll have to make more sub assemblies.   I'm going to need three control panels.......one for each stabilizer boom,  and one for the fore deck reel.  to begin on the two for the booms,  the side panels were cut and cemented to a piece of scrap flat stock.   I'm doing quite well in using up all the scrap I've created......slowly getting down to just bits and smaller pieces.

post-612-0-31376600-1428506715.jpg

while these were drying........the gangway ladder was drilled for the grab rails.   I had already measured and cut the excess off the ladder.

post-612-0-27931200-1428506833.jpg

it came out needing eight support bars for the rails......cut and cemented in place

post-612-0-23133600-1428506905.jpg

the control panel twins were separated and fronts were added to them

post-612-0-76083100-1428507015.jpg

the first grab rail was added to the ladder

post-612-0-29355200-1428507052.jpg

the other side was added......but there's a problem.    I was sure that I had measured them correctly......there was supposed to be more at the top,  for the bend.   it's Ok.......I have a remedy for it already  ;)

post-612-0-76232000-1428507264.jpg

the control panels have been sanded.   I though of something else I need to make........I cut two pieces from the round styrene tubing I bought earlier.  I will only need one,  the other is for the goof factor.   I'll use 1/32 flat stock for this pair of sub assemblies.

post-612-0-15484000-1428507559.jpg

I found this part in my odd brass bin....now if I can only find another one  ;)

post-612-0-99855100-1428507640.jpg

I can do a dry fit........here is how the improved ladder looks in position.

post-612-0-62035900-1428507702.jpg

I thought I trimmed the excess off the ladder?!?!   I must have cut it wrong?   it should be flush to the top of the gangway.....I'll make the adjustment......perhaps it may fall in my favor  ;)

there are more assemblies I need to make......kind of a goal to get the 'birds' on by Friday.  but if I don't,  I'll be on vacation the following week.....and then maybe,  I can finish the build  ;)   who knows?!?!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis your model is looking super, and because it is mostly white on the deck at least the birds droppings will blend in nicely. :P

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

5  stars Denis, 5 stars!!!!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

She's really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks to all your kind comments and likes!    I hope I can add more to the boat by the end of the week....if not sooner

Michael:  that's probably the reasoning behind it........could be weathering.......could be smatter  :D

Crackers:  quite an honor.......can't seem to wrap my head around it though...I'm just average ;)  still checking out the Clooney angle for Frank....I think I'd get a bigger kick out of getting a picture of George in MY living room!  :D  :D   I'll keep it in mind though.....I really appreciate your very kind comment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

To thought  ;)  is like presuming ... the mother of all f...ormidable faults!! One shouldn't think, that's asking for problems  :huh:  Be glad you cut that ladder long, instead of short... I would certainly have had it the other way 'round. I like the new Ctrl + box challenge :D You got me excited again ... ;) but that seems to be your specialty :)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Don't be in any rush to finish her.  We're all enjoying her too much!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sweet update, Popeye.  She's almost there.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You will be sad when you finish

We will be sad when log comes to end

So, don't rush

;)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Great update Popeye, more "stuff" added and a too long a ladder as a bonus.  Yup, you are almost there.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks again everyone for the kind comments and likes :)   I'm only using that ladder,  because I made it for the boat....the first attempt....and not like the others.  they sport the round rungs.   I'm still rather new to scratch building,  and the first thing I came away with,  is if you make an aspect in a certain way,  all 'like' aspects should be done the same way.  it gives uniformity throughout the entire build.

no fret on the finish of this one........I have two other fishing vessels in the wings.  I've had urges to do something on them...but I can't seem to pull myself away from the A.G.  I need to see this build done  :)    I also learned a few things from this build....some really cool stuff to throw at the others.  I want to dwindle down my back log.......I have that Titanic......AND  I have another special project in mind........sorry,  can't go into it any deeper ;)   I can guarantee though...that you'll love it.   I guess you can say that I'm way past the lament of the finished build........most likely another reason why I've accumulated the back log I have....I find {and have found} myself not waiting for the finish....and just mindlessly ramble on to the next one.

I'm glad your all enjoying this build........I'm enjoying sharing it with you :)    here in this theater,  that is MSW,  we portray a play for all to see.......and our models are the stars.   they don't do much,  no lines to read.....and us,  as the modelers,  pull the strings,  to make them perform. 

at MSW,  there spotlights a stage

where logs accumulate,  page by page

narrated through the modeler's eye

it grows,  it grows,  as time goes by

no dance to do,  no song to sing

but ships made from wood and string

we tell how it's built,  cut and glue

we describe all the steps we do

but time goes by,  and soon it is done

congrats and kind words from everyone

thanks MSW for all that you do

for allowing us to share them with you   :)

....oh dear..........I think I've caught a bad case of poetry

.......well,  how long have you had it?

...ohhhhhh,  once upon a time!

>Monty Python<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry about that.........I haven't penned a poem in a while.  I guess you can chalk it up to 'poet withdrawal'  :D  I mean it though........since I've been here,  I met quite a few really cool folks,  made even more as friends,  and had things happen that I never experienced,  in the days I worked on plastic.  MSW has been,  and will continue to be,  the greatest place on earth!

anyway......today's update!  oh yes!   I have something for you Piet....an aspect you've inquired about. you'll see it in a bit ;)

speaking of bits......it was time to entertain myself,  by making more circles.   these are 1/32nds thick......more usage from the scrap wood,   which I'm glad to say,   is dwindling even lower.

post-612-0-88604000-1428584007.jpg

there are some that are 11/32........the ones in the upper corner are 25/64.   in thinking of the fore deck reel...if I'm to do what I'm thinking of doing,  it will need a divider in the middle.   I still have some of those larger circles.....in drilling the hole in the middle,  of course they would split.  the first break was off,  and rendered unusable.   the second one however,  split in a good way....I would have had to split it anyway,  to fit it without any dis-assembly of the reel.  the hole was sculpted and filed out,  and assembled on the reel.

post-612-0-85878500-1428584557.jpg

the ladder was trimmed to the *real* length...and set in place to be sure

post-612-0-09715600-1428584634.jpg

the other reels,  just to get them out of the way for the moment,  were set in place in the stern

post-612-0-03027700-1428584722.jpg

I'll get to them soon.......it was time to cut some tiny pieces of small dowel,  and assemble the pulleys I will need

post-612-0-54015900-1428584836.jpg

post-612-0-88787800-1428584850.jpg

these will be sanded round and cleaned up......and then added to the control panels.   there needs to be a left and right, since the smaller pulley will be for the stabilizer boom rigging,  and the larger ones will be for the weighted anchors,  rigged onto the booms.   the control panels,  faced the way they need to be,  will be opposites of one another.  I did make the goof though.....and had to scramble to correct it before the glue dried.   this is how they will look.

post-612-0-60388300-1428585178.jpg

the bulk of the panel suggests a built-in motor.  a bit more to them,  and they'll be ready for paint.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the other one was assembled and set in place for a fit.   gauging where they will be,  will dictate the rest of the eye bolt and block additions,  for their rigging.   here is how they will sit on the deck.

post-612-0-14004600-1428585495.jpg

here is is Piet.....the creation of the air horn  Hee......Hee!  Rorschach #88 .....what's the first thing that comes to mind??

post-612-0-03080100-1428585576.jpg

this is the Billing's offering of a spotlight.   I took the lense out and laid it on the table,  their idea of an eye bolt was glued to the top of it.....it has an hole drilled through it,  and was added to simulate the air intake / vent.  not sure if I'll ad it.....the plans don't show one.......and I'm rather amused at the shape of it.  another addition to the trawl rig I need to make,  are the two lights that are perched on the top cross bar of the aft section.  the boxes were made from 1/32 scrap.

post-612-0-03107300-1428585907.jpg

before I make the control panel for the fore deck reel,  I was juggling the idea of connecting it to the reel itself.  I went with plan B though,  since the kit parts for this aspect does include the idea for making something like this attached to the reel.

I added a small motor to the gear side of the reel......the panel will be separate.

post-612-0-05748200-1428586120.jpg

you can probably see what I did for the ladder........cutting the excess off did play in my favor.   I simply curved what there was.....they won't touch the platform,  but they are curved enough to be believable.  as for that lone part I showed on the table.....I found no mate :(   but,  I did find something while looking through the 'Syborn's'  part box....which was the same place I found the spotlight.   I saw these in the plans.....so I had to add them.  a pair of antennas on the top of the gangway.   they also hide the stubbles from the eye bolts.   they need paint now.

post-612-0-81722500-1428586721.jpg

the last thing done,  was a little sanding on the aft section lights.  more to come on these  ;)

post-612-0-68817500-1428586800.jpg

a bit more browsing.......and then back to the table  :)  mother nature was angry yesterday and gave us a dusting of snow, with a freezing rain chaser........I'd have just settled for a flat beer,  but OK?!?!?!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the good word George  :)   think of it as I do..........that all you see here,  as an advance,  will only set the stage for the next one  ;)

"keep on thinking free"......Moody Blues

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What's there left to say, if not to write ...

it started out with a title for a post
and soon turned out an addiction for most

the end is nearing ... postpone it sailor!. You are doin' such a fine job. Love the latest additions ... keeps our expectations tense ... and our curiosity high .. :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

What he said!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

watch out Carl........poetry is catchy.........:D     I'll try........but this ball is rolling under her own steam now.............oh,  I hate it when it rolls under the sofa.....Whoa!  :)  :D

thanks Patrick and Augie.......getting harder to tell what will come out next  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really nice job, Popeye. I'd say I am sad to see this build end, but I am dying to see what you have in store for those other ships waiting patiently for your return.