Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

I ran into a huge problem.......and the realization why I was getting these little quirks with it.   I found that this program is not supported for Vista.  one of the big problems I found,  was that it would not print Black, of all things.......all I would get is a Dark Gray.   I've decided to take one of the other towers that we have {that still has XP} and turn it into a decal maker.  I have an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse,  so I'm all set for this.  I still need to get the update for it,  and when I get it,  I'll install it as a whole when I do it.  I will use whatever I get at this time......I'm pretty sure the numbers will look OK.......but it's the name one the bow and stern that's worrying me.......I need to be creative,  and I'm not sure how it's going to react.

the numbers are simple......I can use the clear decal paper for them.  using the text selection,  they were made up and resized four times,  to be sure I would get ones that will fit the field they are to go on.  for the names though,  I need to change the color of the foreground......not the background,  as you might think.

for this,  I used white decal paper,  since the letters are in White.....the foreground will be changed to a Dark Green,  which is the closest to Emerald Green,  the color palette would come to it.  one of the initial drawbacks to this program {the update should give me this feature},  is the transparency issue I've been dealing with.  I've had to pick and choose what decal I can make.   I'm hoping I can use this in my favor with these decals......when they are applied,  I'm hoping the green blends in and disappears in the Emerald background.

post-612-0-93970200-1426254217.jpg

they were sprayed with decal bonder,  and allowed to dry overnight.  as you can see,  the program would not allow me to change the foreground over the entire paper......I'll just have to be exact in cutting them out.  I'm hoping the numbers work out as well.   I heard the voices for the idea I had......a map on the back wall would look super :)  so,  I made one up.

post-612-0-20015800-1426255128.jpg

printed on regular paper,  it was sprayed with decal bonder to lock the ink on the paper.  I was going to use 1/8 X 3 mm strip,  but I thought of the thin strip mahogany,  and the rest is history.  there is another vent that I need to make.  it will be located in back of the pilot house.  it has a strange design.....a 'T' with two smaller pieces on the ends.   to ad a bit of detail to it,  I hollowed out the end pieces using three different drills and finished them off with a round file.

post-612-0-75403500-1426255417.jpg

as you can see,  I also began to remake the stanchion.  the round circles are to be some pulleys that are yet to be made.  here you can see how I hollowed the end piece out.

post-612-0-37522600-1426255524.jpg

Once the map was trimmed.......I did get a little too close to one corner,  but I don't think it will show.  I didn't clear coat it or anything........it was then cemented in place.  the bonder deters the white glue from seeping through.

post-612-0-02405400-1426255699.jpg

without the roof on,  it can be seen through the window {s}

post-612-0-26306700-1426255759.jpg

lastly.........the other side of the vent was hollowed out and cemented in place on the assembly

post-612-0-51610000-1426255814.jpg

all 'n all.......not too bad,  considering we were out running errands for most of the day.  but with every update.......brings me closer to another 'cement fest' ;)  thanks for looking in  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry to hear about the Vista problem.  Hope the XP works for you.

As an aside, I absolutely LOVE the chart you have made for the cabin.  That adds a really salty look.  WONDERFUL !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have to agree with Augie on the chart.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Augie and Michael.........you folks wanted it........who am I to deny  ;)   the M&M build was the best cabin detail I've done so far.  I wish I had more bling I could add  {I'll look in my inventory again}.........but between Patrick {omega} and Kees........I do feel compelled to do more ;)  as far as the vista problem goes.......I'm kinda glad.  I've got two other towers that have XP,  and it good to give at least one of them a purpose.  I'll probably use the E-machine......it has the fastest processor speed of either of them,  so it should work quite well.  I'll just have to break it down when I'm not using it.   thanks for the good word!

thanks George........I'm VERY pleased myself!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Awesome detail there Popeye..... really like the chart and good idea on the cello!!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Popeye,

your workdesk looks pretty busy and many detail pieces are laying around, guess you are just in the modeling fever for making things come true

Good work !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

More and more detail.  You're doing a fine job.  I love it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Frank......as said.....who am I to deny :)  I love to hear any ideas....you never know what I might try!  I'm more than willing to share anything I come across ;)  thanks for the good words!

no Nils.......what your seeing is a mess!  it's a wonder the admiral  don't put the vac to it......it's wide open for all to see when they come over!  :D  :D   sometimes I have to move things around.....just to find my ideas!  ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Bob!  I'm trying......but it isn't hard at all!   this has turned out to be a very fun project.   after the B.S. of the last couple of weeks,  it's great to be back at the table.  ;)   thanks for your kind word.....I'm glad you like it!  :)

oh......and thanks to everyone who hit the like button!  I really appreciate it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

You should be pleased. Very nicely done...  I love the map!   I guess you'll have tell the Admiral to keep pushing you....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Popeye. Beautiful work on the AG.  I have a question. What does the decal program give you that you couldn't get by just designing your decals in some other program and printing them on decal paper? I just bought some decal paper but have not tried it yet, so I am curious to see if I need to buy the program too. Thanks.

Are you building a ship or building details!?!??! Ah whatever, it's looking grand mate!!! About the XP ...make it a stand alone, not connected to the internet PC, and you won't be bothered by virusses and other malign infestations

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Awesome detail there Popeye..... really like the chart and good idea on the cello!!!

When I saw this, I had to go back and look again.  I thought I had missed Popeye putting musical instruments in his cabin....... like Master and Commander !!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Shipmodeling as a puzzle of details

Extra work. Hope you find your runaway ideas on your table ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Dennis

I'm constantly amazed whenever I look at your latest updates. Not only are you supremely creative and inventive, but you seem to be able to work at an incredible pace. The ideas just keep coming and before you know it, the ideas become reality and are transformed into detail after detail. I especially like the map on the wall. Very nice, indeed!

I also noticed that there was a red smudge on your workbench (especially evident in the last photo).....now, that wouldn't be your blood having been spilt after a hard days' labour in the shipyard, would it?

Keep up the great work, Dennis!

Cheers

Patrick

I also noticed that there was a red smudge on your workbench (especially evident in the last photo).....now, that wouldn't be your blood having been spilt after a hard days' labour in the shipyard, would it?

Keep up the great work, Dennis!

Cheers

Patrick

Rule # 576 ----- The leaking of too much vital bodily fluid is unhealthy and unwise!   :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice going Popeye.  Love the map.  Will you give the AG an ooga ooga horn - - - to warn other ships and for a fog horn?   ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

OMG!!!!  too much to comment on at the moment! {getting ready for work} :)  I'll be here tonight.......good question Tom  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Considering the time a day, late for work ...? Knowing your fingers dexterity, you woulda, coulda have commented before work ... ;) You got sometin to look forrard to as do us!!! :D

Carl

Popeye,  what can I say that the others haven't already, very impressive, the map is terrific.  And I hope you don't mind but I find it very interesting to look around on your work top.  I always find things that help me with my build, for instance the inverted clothes pin, who would have thought, I love it. :)

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

holy cow!......boy!  do I have a lot to catch up on!  whether folks comment on my builds or not.......this is the MOST awesome place to be :)

I am so honored to be a part of this wonderful site!!!  ;)

Mark.....thanks for the good word!  the admiral refuses to see my build table go in another room......I tried to shut off the banter box.....but she say it will continue until the pilot house is finished!   she rubbed it by saying  ".......that what you told me to do!"

Tom.......the decal maker.   I have never tried to use paint shop to make them.....I have made something with it, and imported it into the decal program though {the Half Moon is a good example of this}.  the good points about the decal maker,  is that it is formatted to accept and use decal paper {5.5" X8.5"},  where paint shop is formatted to regular paper {8.5" X11"}.  I'm sure it can be done.....but the decal maker takes out a lot of the guess work.  I'm still experimenting with it,  since I don't use it a lot...but it has served me well.  just about any image can be imported and manipulated using it......and what I've done so far has been fun.  the one thing I need to get, is the update to it,  so the transparency function can be enabled.  the only thing I can say, is if you have an interest in it,  it's the #14202 Testor's "sure thing" decal maker - standard edition.  I have a phone number where you can get the update for it......download only

{I'm going to see if I can get a physical copy}

Sjors and Nenad.......thanks for the good word!  clutter is my version of keeping ideas under wraps!  :)

Carl......yes,  I will be doing that.  I will feed it info via memory stick......I had to get rid of XP because the  attacks were getting pretty serious~!  thanks for the good word......sorry I had to leave abruptly this morn...many things to do before I left for work  ;)

Patrick and George.......  no.....that's not blood.....just the Remanence of red paint. :)   you should have seen what happened when I shook a bottle of flat black with the cap loose!  you'd have thought everything around me had the measles!  you are like way too kind Patrick.....I thank the both of you for looking in and the good word!

Augie........no not chello......cello!  I play bass....there's a difference  :D  :D

Piet.......the plans don't show one.......if it's there.....you bet!  thanks for the good word!

I think I covered everyone........if I missed you,  let me know...so I can redeem myself for being such a heel for forgetting you  :)  :D

.......I didn't forget you Sal.....hello and welcome to the mayhem!  the clothes pin thing is something I used to do in my plastic days...it has served me well so far,  in my wooden future ;)   if you see something......use it......I love to share :)  thank you for the good word!

in your honor,  I'll post Friday's update ;)    ...........wait a moment!    a big thanks to all who hit the like button!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I began to do a little bit with the booms.....in thoughts of how these would be rigged..I'd love to do something with double......or even triple blocks.  I think the mechanics of the pulley assemblies would be really cool.  I need to look into this a bit more,  but for now,  eye bolts were fitted in the tips.

post-612-0-77536300-1426379361.jpg

assembling the  'T' vent...I used white glue to fill in the gaps of the assembly.  before it had dries,  I sanded it to add to the glue.  it's done to make it as seamless as possible.

post-612-0-29948600-1426379537.jpg

going into the trawler box,  I filched some preservers.   they need to be painted still...not sure if I will replace the rope.

post-612-0-57920400-1426379663.jpg

some parts got the second coat of primer..the Samson post was included.

post-612-0-05170200-1426381257.jpg

.....even the aft section.

post-612-0-38210000-1426381285.jpg

the stanchion was remade.......unpainted,  and no pulley block

post-612-0-09888700-1426381406.jpg

it looks better scaled down.......the pulley spools are made from very short railing posts and those 5/16 circles I cut out.......I had to make more because some split in the making of them.  fitted in place, it looks a little naked,  but it will all become clear when finished.

post-612-0-21932900-1426381718.jpg

post-612-0-20228100-1426381731.jpg

I didn't get to apply the decals yet,  as you can see.   I wanted to try them tonight,  but it's a bit late for that..........perhaps I can try tomorrow evening.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Can't wait to see her all put together Dennis. Amazing attention to detail. I'd be curious as to the decal program you're using and whether it's still available and where to get it. I see Hobby Lobby sells decal paper, hardener, and bonder, but nothing else, at least on-line. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

You are in warp drive, my friend.  Stanchion fits in well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Dennis

This has to be my favourite photo so far. All it needs is a tiny bit of imagination and you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the shipyard looking at the real AG under construction.

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_03_2015/post-612-0-21932900-1426381718.jpg

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Smoothing sailing all the way, Popeye.  She's coming together very well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice, nice, nice, very nice ... (thanks...  for hitting the like button ;)  :rolleyes:  ) Give my regards to the admiral, she seems to be doin' a swell job keeping you in line ... :P

If you use a mem'stick, check it for virsusses before you walk them over ... Another option - instead of a rather largish PC - is a second hand laptop ... even with a broken battery it'll still work on current ... when finished close it and pop it in a drawer, no need for an extra screen, keyboard, and mouse ... 'the space saver' ;) Another advantage, you could use memory cards too ...

Carl

thanks again for all the kind comments!   once I make the other pulleys and brackets,  I can try and give them a little extra detail.  ;)

thanks Augie,  Mark,  John,  I really appreciate the good word!   I'm past the halfway mark for sure.......now to make the parts to fit her out!

thanks Patrick......you may reconsider,  when you see the next update ;)

all I have are the towers Carl.......no laptops here ;)   I will be very careful.  thanks for the good word!

thanks George.....you can try to get it here:

Testors

be sure to get the standard edition,  and not the basic.  I will be ordering the update for it....probably this week.   then I can set up the E-machine.  if you do get it,  let me know,  and I can tell you how to get the update as well.  I don't know about the hardener,  but the bonder is very important  :)  it can even be used on old decals,  to freshen them up  {they won't micro crack}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: