Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Denis, you give me bad idea again ... it will be sweet to have lader as yours on.model

... but it dont go with sails

Only left for me to be amazed with your work, with idea to try to imitate ... some day ...

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Patrick........didn't they tell you that when they gave you the modeling gene..........never blink!  :D  :D    I'm trying to move this build along.......I wasn't supposed to ADD to my build roster......I'm supposed to try and catch up!  I already got told by the admiral.........she didn't get me that Titanic kit,  just to see it stuffed in the closet.   so far,  this build hasn't left the table,  since I started.......and I've had the itchings to pick up on one of the others,  but I can't seem to put this one down ;)

thank you Nenad.......yea,  I'm afraid the the Cutty would look a bit out of place with metal style railings.......wood will need to be done.  of course,  if you have a trawler,  that you fancy.......then you can play with brass rod to your heart's content!  feel free to glean any ideas I might offer....that's what this site is all about!

thanks for the good word everyone,  and those of you who hit the like button!  ;)   one more day to go........then it's play time again!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Dennis

So, I see...your real motivation is to finish your AG as soon as possible so that your Admiral can give you the Titanic kit that you're not supposed to know about???

Ok, no matter, because we all get to learn, observe and enjoy what you're doing on this build.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

I got the kit for Christmas........that's where it is at the moment.  it's the Academy kit......the big one :)   she hasn't said too much so far,  but that's why I want to try and catch up.............for when she does  :D  :D

thanks you good sir!......well.....off to work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Bloody Marvellous Denis, well done mate.

mobbsie  

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thank you Mobbsie :)     work is done.........now ....play time  :)  first I'll finish the other ladder.......and then those vents!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I get tired just watching you blaze on.... great details on the ladders.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thanks Michael :)   I was catching up on my Word Press logs this morning..........I was writing about the ladders,  when another thought occurred to me.  if I were to follow through........you and every one else would think me truely mad  ;)    that settles it......I'll do it!  :)

thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

what to do with the rail mating........I just made it simple.   the curve was made,  and then bent it to flare out,  meeting the top rails.

post-612-0-90510800-1427892030.jpg

post-612-0-74962000-1427893015.jpg

if I had two more stanchions,  I could have done the lower rail.

I did a trial fit with the painted thread and one of those shackles......I want to try and get away without painting them,  as it might have a negative effect on the rigging quality.   perhaps after they are rigged.....I'll look at it then.

post-612-0-08531100-1427893383.jpg

post-612-0-74248900-1427893397.jpg

the cable in the shackle....it can barely be seen,  but it is noticeable.

the main deck ladder was painted........took a couple of coats.  I bought another can of primer....and this stuff is coming out like milk......very thin and watery.   I have some Billing's flat white........I'm going to see if this will look the same.

post-612-0-63254800-1427893864.jpg

in place,  they look good together.   the addition of the grag rails adds quite a bit to their appearance.

post-612-0-85571500-1427893948.jpg

post-612-0-78028800-1427893961.jpg

I was toying with the ladder that leads to the gangway........I'm thinking of doing the same treatment ot it.  I already added the location tabs and drilled the holes for it's placement.  I'm just about there,  to put the trawl rig in place  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Wayne!   thanks for the good word.........I was hoping you were following along  :)   I hope the new job isn't putting a cramp on your progress  ;)

thanks for the likes patrick and George  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's getting crowded....just like a work boat should.  Terrific stuff!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Fitting out work Popeye

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looking very good.   Well done on the ladder and rails.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those ladders look great!!!... nice work Denis, your speed amazes  me....... you're quite clever with the lines too!! ......

You're a poet and don't know it!!!! ( or do you????) :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Great solution on the ladder handhold / railing Popeye.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Patrick, Augie, John, Mark, Wayne, and Nils!   since these look as good as they do,  my doing the gangway ladder too should really add to her looks  ;)

piet.......note to self........do them entirely of brass next time ;)    in regards to how small they are,  it might be quite a task........but man,  would that be a test for me  ;)   I think that they could be better done with plastic though.........Plastruct and evergreen has a lot of stuff for HO application.......and Andy,  a while back posted a site where trim work can be purchased  {I think I still have it in my book marks}.

thanks Frank.......I like to think of myself as an underground poet.......every time I come to the surface,  someone throws something at me  :D  :D       it's all in fun,  my friend  :)      thanks for the good word!

thanks to all who hit the like button..........and to poor George.......who's probably thinking I forgot him on his last post.  no I didn't,  my friend!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks to all who hit the like button..........and to poor George.......who's probably thinking I forgot him on his last post.  no I didn't,  my friend!  ;)

No worries Dennis!  I'm like a bad tick. Pretty hard to ignore, or get rid of.  :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

a strange turn of events.........the gangway ladder........yes!   I did start on it....as I mentioned,  I sized it,  installed the locator tabs.......sanded it a bit more to define the rungs a bit more,  drilled the holes for placement.....   but the thought of assembling the aft section of the trawl rig,  to the first section was stuck in my mind.   taking a smaller dowel,  and a number of dry fits { to be sure of the angle....proper or otherwise},  I was able to come up with the pair of support bars,  I was going to need.  I have a plan to assemble it,  so it is still removable....it's just that it's going to be very 'tail heavy'.

first thing I did was cement the main deck ladder in place........I didn't bother with the roof ladder just yet.

post-612-0-88061600-1427984575.jpg

it starts out with attaching the cables to the top of the gangway.  once the aft section is cemented in place with the two support bars.....these will be attached.   then it can be taken off the model,  and patched together at the base,  with mending plats on both sides {inner and outer}.

post-612-0-85176700-1427984917.jpg

I was going to try and do the mending plates on the model,  but I was afraid that cement might get under everything and adhere it to the deck.  the port side cable is attached.  that is also the reason why there is a clamp on the deck.....it popped off and went flying........good thing it didn't break anything!

post-612-0-88365800-1427985109.jpg

post-612-0-47361800-1427985127.jpg

when the starboard cable was attached......my idea went south!   with it laying on the table,  it was very unstable.......I was afraid it was going to break!

post-612-0-19900100-1427985445.jpg

so I ended up doing an about face on that plan.........before I cemented it in place,  I did the roof ladder first.   I'll touch up both ladders later.   I'll do the mending plates later as well,  now that the base is firmly seated.  the 'T' vent need to have some flat black swabbed in the vent holes........after that it was cemented in place.

post-612-0-94456900-1427985847.jpg

post-612-0-74123400-1427985910.jpg

post-612-0-82407700-1427985936.jpg

so now..........it's touch up and lick my wounds....after this little escapade......    if I were to do a TV show,  I think I'd call it "Plan gone Wild" !  :D   the only real bad point about this,  is that now if I need to drill any holes and stuff.....I'll have to do it on the boat.   ahhhh, what the heck........at least I have it on there now  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You've outdone yourself, Popeye.  I wouldn't tackle that rig for a million bucks!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks George.......gee......and I pictured myself as being an 'imaginary romantic' {I love imagining things}  :)  thanks for the good word!

I said the same thing when I had it lying on the table Augie.......the bars were the only thing holding it together!  that's what drew me to this vessel.....the frame work.  I did the mending plates at the base........I probably should have added others here and there.   this has to be the most dowel that I've ever used!

even some of my model stock car frames don't equal the amount I've used!   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Dennis

You know, many people say that "plain and simple" is beautiful. That may be true in some cases. But, in the case of your AG, the complexity of the rig, with its different components, beams, railings, ladders, etc, is also, nothing short of beautiful. This is one of the reasons why working boats such as your AG are so popular as modelling subjects; because out of their complexity is borne a thing of beauty. :dancetl6:

Please keep the updates coming thick and fast, because watching and studying your progress is addictive!

Well done.

Cheers

patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I echoed

Pretty crowded there it becomes

Nice challenge and briliant work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Patrick.......couldn't have said it any better ;)   the sailing vessel will always hold the title for best show piece,  but I think any vessel can be done,  if the interest is there.  very well said my friend!

thanks John.......I think that's what I said after I had done it.   spent the mid day doing touch ups,  and putting the mending plates on.  they make the rig's fixing to the deck look much better.   it really changes the way she looks ;)   thanks for the good word!

thanks Nenad........I see your making milestones of your own ;)   I think your Cutty looks great......we can both smile tonight !

thanks Marty....glad your enjoying the log.  I enjoy the personal side.......I go a bit further in my Word Press logs.  if I did it here,  I'd sound like a windbag  :D

just goes to show that there's more to a build,  than just gluing wood together..........although I haven't bit my tongue yet,  in trying to fidget a piece into place........thank goodness the #&*%@ filter is in place here  ;)

thanks to all who hit the like button....really appreciate it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: