Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by gjdale - FINISHED - 1/48 - Cross-Section

#1 or #2 lead buckshot would be slightly larger than 1/4".  I'm not sure about availability 'down under'.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Coming together nicely mate, I like the use of black paper for caulking, it gives a nice tidy finish, I used paper instead of card for the Mortar Pit Planking and am well pleased with the result.

One thing I did find when sanding down the Pit Planking was that the dust produced was slightly darker than the wood, obviously from the black paper, it makes for a slightly darker shade for treenails, I mixed it with a bit of white filler for what think is a respectable finish.

Keep up this lovely work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and all the likes.

I had hoped to post a bit more of an update tonight but a couple of things got in the way............

Firstly, having proudly displayed all of my component parts in my last update, when I went to assemble them I found some small but significant errors in the milling of the shell room pillars. Long story short, I didn't take enough care in setting up the mill and because I cut all 18 pillars in one continuous cut, there were enough differences between one end and the other of the cutting line, that when assembled the bomb racks between the pillars looked like they'd been for a run ashore on pay day.

That then gave me the impetus to also re-make the floor support beams - those incorrectly drilled holes were still bugging me.

So I re-made everything...........................................twice! Yep, managed to bugger up both the milling and the floor beams on the second attempt.

Fortunately, it was a long weekend and rainy - no other "distractions" in sight! So after measuring 37 times, and aligning the mill to within a cat's whisker of its life, I went for attempt number three. What was that about "the third time is the charm"? All I can say is that Jeff Hayes (of HobbyMill) must have believed in this as he supplied enough raw material to allow a third attempt! Thanks Jeff!!! Don't know what I would have done if I'd botched it a third time.

Anyway, a test fit of all parts revealed a good match all round. I then needed to await delivery of my new "bombs", which arrived today. The size looks right, but they have a shiny finish, which I will probably spray with Dullcote before using.

So unfortunately, no photos for now. I will take a few during the final assembly and finishing process and post with my next update. That, however, will be a few weeks in coming as I've been consigned to the knackers yard to get some replacement body parts. I'm going into hospital tomorrow morning for a hip replacement operation. I had the first one done about five years ago, so I'm no stranger to the procedure, or the recovery process. I do know two things for sure. Firstly, I'll be in less pain afterwards than I am now, and secondly, I'll be enjoying some quality pharmaceuticals for a little while! That of course means no model building - unless of course you were interested in seeing some rather unique maritime interpretations..................

I hope to be back in the shipyard in a limited capacity in 2-4 weeks, but will have to await both surgeon and Admirals approval first. And of course, you just know which of those is going to be the more difficult to obtain!!! In the meantime, I shall continue to live vicariously through all of your logs.

Congrats on your perseverence.  And the best of luck with the hip surgery.  We'll keep a light burning in the stern gallery for you.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Grant.

Best of luck to you on your surgery.

That shell room was one testy little jig saw puzzle. Hopefully you've got it licked now.

Again my best to you for a speedy recovery!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Grant,

All good things come in three ... I know whom to turn to to get my sawing done ... Good on you to take the step twice ... thrice!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Best wishes on the surgery, Grant.  I'm sure it will go well and yes, the quality pharmaceuticals do help a lot.  My admiral has had multiple hip and shoulder replacements and it seems like the procedures have improved vastly, even in the last few years.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks for all the well wishes guys.

A quick update - yes, from my hospital bed!

Everything went well today - was in recovery by 0930 and in own room from 1300. Doc has visited and is well pleased. Physio have been and had me up standing and walking up and down on the spot already. Nursing staff all excellent. Oh, and some real quality pharmaceuticals too!

Food has been excellent and I've just had the worlds longest pee (one litre's worth), which I proudly delivered standing up!!! (I know - it's a real boy thing!)

Doc says hopefully released on parole over the weekend, or Monday at latest, all going well.

Hey Grant, sorry but I had to chuckle re your post about the pharmaceuticals. That tickled my fancy. Glad that you a that are okay, and not attempting to work in the shipyard while under the influence, Imagine how your build could turn out.... like some kind of abstract sculpture. Speedy recovery mate.

And congratulations on the Pee

Edited by mikec

Grant, most excellent! As you well know, follow the Doc and therapists' directions. You'll be back to normal in no time, mate.

To your health. :cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Grant,

Well done, even without wetting your hands ;)  Glad to hear all went well and you will be as good as new!!! Soon you'll be runnin'  'round the dockyard again.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great news!  Follow orders and you'll be back in no time.  Pharmaceuticals .... that was my career....so ENJOY!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That's good news, Grant.  Carry on but don't chase the staff for a few more days.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Grant,

Happy that all went well.  I have had both knees replaced in the past and it really makes life better. 

Enjoy the drugs, physical therapy will be here soon enough.  

Get Well Soon!   :)  :)

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Wow Grant,

I'm away for a few days and I missed al the fun  :P  :P  :P  :P

A new hip !!!!

Take your time and you will be as new in a few days  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the good wishes folks.  After a week or so of complete rest following the operation, I was permitted to return to the shipyard in a very limited capacity, which has been enough to enable me to complete the assembly of the Shell Room.

Before commencing assembly, I thought ahead one more step and realised that the upper support beams will be let into the deck beams above them. To ensure a proper fit, I cut a 5/16" slot in a piece of scrap using a 5/16" end cutter in the Sherline Mill.  I then passed each of the three upper support beams through the Byrnes Thickness sander a couple of times so that they made an easy slide fit in the test notch.  This should mean that the Deck Beams will be easy to fit, allowing a little room for glue.

Here are a few shots of the third (and final) set of components dry-fitted as a final check for accuracy:

post-242-0-77335300-1429517923_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-72021000-1429517937_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-60554100-1429517949_thumb.jpg

In order to provide easy access for both application of Wipe-On Poly and installation of the Bombs, final assembly was done in stages.  The first stage was installation of the centre-line racks.  In the next photo, you can see the centreline racks installed, with WOP applied and Bombs temporarily installed.  You can also see the brass pins used to aid alignment during installation.

post-242-0-72249700-1429517961_thumb.jpg

After that the Bombs were epoxied in place in all racks, the port and starboard racks were installed and finally the header cross beams were added.  Here are a few shots of the finished product:

post-242-0-92397100-1429517974_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-15933000-1429517987_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-04186300-1429517999_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-56790800-1429518011_thumb.jpg

In the next post I'll add some of the completed Shell Room in place on the model.

(Continued from last post)

The completed Shell Room was then placed on the model, but has not been permanently fixed as yet - just in case it needs to come out again during construction of the next phase of building.

post-242-0-80042600-1429518684_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-15795300-1429518697_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-29271600-1429518710_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-57615600-1429518723_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-96818400-1429518736_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-98593200-1429518749_thumb.jpg

Beautiful AND precise workmanship !!

Bravo, Grant !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nicely done mate, that's a smart piece of work.

I hope all is well since our last chat and that it didn't take too much out of you.

Speedy recovery mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Congrats on the forethought.  I just have to say that your shell room is exquisite.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well done Grant. You did a great job on it!  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout